medschool tuition fees/foreign student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citixen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an idea in mind to transfer to US medschool in my last years from my home institution, can I hear your opinions about that? What M.D. / D.O. programs have the lowest tuition fees? I don't think there are any loans, scholarships, financial aid available for foreign students, are there?
Interested in anesthesia in the long term

Members don't see this ad.

I have an idea in mind to transfer to US medschool in my last years from my home institution, can I hear your opinions about that? What M.D. / D.O. programs have the lowest tuition fees? I don't think there are any loans, scholarships, financial aid available for foreign students, are there?
Interested in anesthesia in the long term

You face almost insurmountable odds with this. First, most medical schools (MD & DO) have a certain class size. They're not really willing to just let someone transfer in midway through. I've read that schools may accept a transfer if someone in one of their classes drops out or takes a LOA. But, there are slim chances there.

Second, tuition is going to be outrageous no matter where you go. Most public US schools have "in-state" and "out of state" tuition rates. So, if you are not a resident of the state for a year before applying, you pay a higher rate. Think >$40K. Private schools won't be any cheaper.

Your best bet, IMHO, is to do away rotations at US med schools. You'll get your degree from your original school, but will have had some experience in the US and have some US faculty that know you. Coming from another country, that's still going to be a challenge, but I think it will be less so than trying to transfer. Where are you coming from?

I wouldn't invest too heavily in the idea. American medical schools are extremely competitive, so much so that many well-qualified american candidates end up going to the caribbean for their medical students. Class sizes are set at the beginning and transfers are very rare (I know of very few institutions that allow transfers to begin with).

There aren't going to be any cheap options either. You're always out-of-state if you go public and private are always expensive. You're also likely not eligible for government financial aid. American medical schools are expensive for anyone (outside of some in-state public places).

Transferring to an american medical school is probably not an option. Applying to anesthesia as a fmg is, but again, this would be very difficult. Make sure to do well through med school, crush the USMLEs, get good letters to improve your chances. Do an away rotation at an FMG friendly program (that does NOT mean brigham and women's-- be realistic-- look at places that have gone unfilled or actually take FMGs without years of research).

But honestly, I've seen some of your questions in the past and they seem slightly naive. I hope you realize what you're trying to do has ranged from extremely difficult (matching into anesthesia as an FMG) to near impossible (transferring as a non-american citizen to an american med school)