***Meharry Medical College Class of 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I'm new to SDN. I'm also a fellow member of the Meharry 2011 Class. I can't seem to find the date of the white coat ceremony anywhere. Does anyone know the date?

Welcome fadandymd and billinar!!! I can't find the date of the white coat ceremony either. If and when I do I'll be sure to post. I look forward to meeting all of you on June 18th!!!!:D

Well, last year white coat ceremony was June 26th shortly after orientation. I don't think there will be much deviation this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, last year white coat ceremony was June 26th shortly after orientation. I don't think there will be much deviation this year.

I spoke with a friend of mine who just finished her first year at Meharry. She said that last year they complained a lot about the WCC (white coat ceremony) being so soon after orientation since its such short notice. Apparently they already said they are pushing it back for our class until either the end of MAPS or early August. Another friend of mine is going into her 3rd year and she said there is also a Rite of Passage Ceremony in August that family members can go to if for some reason they can't make the WCC. This second ceremony is for all new students not just med. :D

I spoke with a friend of mine who just finished her first year at Meharry. She said that last year they complained a lot about the WCC (white coat ceremony) being so soon after orientation since its such short notice. Apparently they already said they are pushing it back for our class until either the end of MAPS or early August. Another friend of mine is going into her 3rd year and she said there is also a Rite of Passage Ceremony in August that family members can go to if for some reason they can't make the WCC. This second ceremony is for all new students not just med. :D

Hmm...I wonder what the students' were complaining about. At most schools, the WCC is usually held during or immediately after orientation. And this makes sense to me since you want to get such mundane things out of the way before you get down to the serious business of medical trainning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess people complained that they didn't know far enough in advance when the WCC was in order to inform their families of when to come. Anyhoo, I spoke with my friend who was in postbac and is now in our class today and she said that a professor said our official WCC date is the last day of MAPS, Friday, July 27th. I always have my ear to the street:cool:

I guess people complained that they didn't know far enough in advance when the WCC was in order to inform their families of when to come. Anyhoo, I spoke with my friend who was in postbac and is now in our class today and she said that a professor said our official WCC date is the last day of MAPS, Friday, July 27th. I always have my ear to the street:cool:

thanks for keeping "your ears to the street" :D. This info helps alot

Hi everyone,

I will also be joining you next week. I am so excited it's finally here. I hope everone has safe travels!!!

-Cognizance
PS Thanks for the info, Pretty MD.

Thanks so much PrettyMD!!!! Your ear to the streets may be of vital importance to us all once school starts;)

Just think guys next week this time we'll all be registered Meharry med students!!!!

See you all then:D

No problem guys. Anything for the class of 2011! I'm making that journey to Nashville tomorrow. It hurts my heart to think of the 13 hr drive I'm about to make from Houston! :wow:

See ya'll on Monday!

No problem guys. Anything for the class of 2011! I'm making that journey to Nashville tomorrow. It hurts my heart to think of the 13 hr drive I'm about to make from Houston! :wow:

See ya'll on Monday!

have a safe trip! I'm about to leave but it will only take 5hours!

I wish everyone happy and safe travels to Nashville, and I look forward to meeting everyone on Monday!!!:D

For you members of the class of 2011, school (and indeed your medical career ;) ) starts officially today. Congratulations on taking this first step. :clap: I wish you all success! :luck:

PS: Please let us know how the day went. :D

Mostly the day was nice...regist. was unorganized though. Everyone seemed to be really friendly. I had no idea though that orientation was going to last the whole week though. I thought we would start 'school' tomorrow. Also there was a tuition increase...I wonder was that increase included with the financial aid award they issued. If not, I dont know where I am going to get that extra money from.:scared:

R~

For you members of the class of 2011, school (and indeed your medical career ;) ) starts officially today. Congratulations on taking this first step. :clap: I wish you all success! :luck:

PS: Please let us know how the day went. :D

Mostly the day was nice...regist. was unorganized though. Everyone seemed to be really friendly. I had no idea though that orientation was going to last the whole week though. I thought we would start 'school' tomorrow. Also there was a tuition increase...I wonder was that increase included with the financial aid award they issued. If not, I dont know where I am going to get that extra money from.:scared:

R~

Good to hear that everything went well overall. So by how much did they increase the tuition? But regardless of the amount common sense dictates that the increase should be reflected in your award though.

:thumbup:Yep, it was thankfully. I just have to resign loan papers since the increase was made after my financial award letter was given, signed and returned. I think it was raised around 2k or something like that.

Enjoy your summer!

Good to hear that everything went well overall. So by how much did they increase the tuition? But regardless of the amount common sense dictates that the increase should be reflected in your award though.