Memorizing essential amino acids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmlesuccess

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some mnemonic to memorize the essential amino acids? My test is in a week, and I would appreciate any help!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Any
Help
In
Learning
These
Little
Molecules
Proves
Truly
Valuable

First 2 conditional

Edit: Wrong word!

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a good place to say that I had two difficult amino acid questions on my exam, neither of which I knew (I made educated guesses). So I do think amino acids are high yield.

Some other info I've encountered:

Lysine + tryptophan are decreased in Kwashiorkor. I've had a practice question on this asking for the specific amino acid deficient in this disease, and it's either one of these. Apparently these two are found heavily in meat, and those with Kwashiorkor have protein-deficient diets based significantly on not having any meat.

Histidine, although an essential amino acid, can be synthesized by humans during periods of increased metabolic demand or growth (e.g. muscle injury, puberty). It's considered an essential amino acid based on the fact that we still need to consume it in order to achieve adequate metabolic levels, although one should be aware that it is synthesized. I've also seen a practice question on this.

Linoleic and linolenic acids are the essential fatty acids. Prostacyclins, prostaglandins, thromboxanes and leukotrienes are all synthesized from fatty acids (which you probably already know).

Also, operons associated with the synthesis of amino acids tend to demonstrate attenuation, which means transcription is terminated during the middle of transcription once sufficient amino acids have been translated. There's a negative-feedback mechanism involving a hairpin structure that terminates transcription, not translation.

And, yes, I've seen practice questions on that stuff too.

Reactions: 1 user
MATT VIL PHLy

Methionine, Alanine, Theonine, Tryptophan, Valine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Phenylalanine, Histadine and Lysine.

Where is my favorite milk for my essential amino acids?
WHR FVT MILK?

In Order: Tryptophan, Histidine, Arginine, Phenylalanine, Valine, Threonine, Methionine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine.

Pvt Tim Hall (the most commonly used mnemonic) doesn't follow the one letter symbols strictly. This one does.

Reactions: 2 users
My biochem professor gave us this:

"Very Frequently I Work Like Mr T. K. Harris"

(TK Harris is his name)

hope it helps!

This is a full list of amino acids I am aware of that are present on UWorld/NBMEs. It's actually a lot more important than people realize:

Glycine - smallest amino acid - located everywhere. Inhibitor neurotransmitter of the spinal cord. Tetanus blocks the release of glycine from the spinal cord, thats why you have really strong muscle contractions. This causes the diaphragm to lock up and the patient can't breathe anymore.

PHE, TRP, TYR - aromatic amino acids

LYS, ARG - basic amino acids

Asp - main amino acid used for reinforcement of the NMDA pathway, important in cases of gambling and addictions

CYS, MET - contain sulfur

Asparagine, Glutamine - Involved in N-bonds

Serine, Threonine, Tyrosine - involved in O-bonds. Serine is involved in the active site of many enzymes (serine proteases)

These most people know:
LEU, ISO, VAL - branched chains. All 3 handled by the same transport protein in the collecting duct of the kidney.

TYR - used to make catecholamines, melanin

TRP - used to make serotonin

Ketogenic Amino Acids - lysine and leucine. What does ketogenic mean? -> Made from and broken back into acetyl CoA, which is used to make ketones

Both Glucogenic and Ketogenic - PHE, ISO, THR, TRP

Reactions: 1 user