Memory Issue

gotmilklol

High Skooler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have the best memory in the world. How do I improve this? I mean I put in alot of study time with 1 test (say 3-4 hours) ? Yet, I do horrible (70-80) on the tests I take...
This is really depressing and I really need suggestions badly.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm almost positive you've heard this before, but do you use any kinds of memory methods? One of the things I do on a regular basis is assign a song to the certain topic I'm studying, (which may or may not work better for me than others because I am a musician.) which sounds silly, but really, turning something like "la da dee doo da" into a way to remember a certain word will really stick in your head.

I don't have the best memory in the world. How do I improve this? I mean I put in alot of study time with 1 test (say 3-4 hours) ? Yet, I do horrible (70-80) on the tests I take...
This is really depressing and I really need suggestions badly.

You can put in all the study time in the world, but if you're just sitting there slogging through the material then you basically might as well not be studying at all. A lot of times it isn't so much that you have a bad memory moreso than it is that you just aren't studying efficiently.

Some tips:

1. It's easier to learn the material as you go along in class and review for a test than it is to try to learn all the material right before the test. Study as you go along in class instead of waiting to solidify the material way later.

2. If you feel like you're not getting anything out of what you're reading, take a break and come back to it after you're refreshed.

3. Do practice problems. If you can handle the practice problems, then chances are good that you have a decent grasp of the material.

4. Take notes in class if you have trouble remembering concepts.

5. If possible, understand the concepts behind what you're studying instead of using just rote memorization. Understanding the "why" tends to help with understanding the "how" and "what."

6. Study with another person and quiz/teach each other what you know about the material.

7. Talk to your teacher about anything that you just aren't understanding.

Hope this helps.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the tips guys, i really need them for next year :/

Forget rote memorization. Just get to know the concepts real well. You can do this by solving lots of tough problems.

I don't know about your sleeping habits, but a full night of sleep keeps me alert. I can focus on the material and it's easier for me to remember stuff. I also take a lot of notes. I still study, but being able to keep my focus during class is helpful.

I recommend taking an occasional break while studying. If you just constantly study for hours on end you'll blow a brain-fuse.

Practice problems are the best preparation for concept based things like math and organic chem.

Study where you won't be distracted.

- Study a few days or week(s) before the test date. Cramming the day before won't help.

- Break the material into chunks you can handle. Go over the material every day; review the material from the previous day with the new material.

- For every hour or two, take 5~10 minute breaks in between. Reward yourself :)

Try to learn it instead of just memorizing stuff. If you understand why and how the concept works and why it's being taught, how to use the information, and what it's applications are, you're likely to remember the memorization stuff better.

For some things like vocab tests it's not going to work as well, but for major tests that require a lot of studying it'll probably boost your knowledge.

I'm almost positive you've heard this before, but do you use any kinds of memory methods? One of the things I do on a regular basis is assign a song to the certain topic I'm studying, (which may or may not work better for me than others because I am a musician.) which sounds silly, but really, turning something like "la da dee doo da" into a way to remember a certain word will really stick in your head.
YES!!!!! I thought I was the only one that ever though of this. :laugh:

"I'm almost positive you've heard this before, but do you use any kinds of memory methods? One of the things I do on a regular basis is assign a song to the certain topic I'm studying, (which may or may not work better for me than others because I am a musician.) which sounds silly, but really, turning something like "la da dee doo da" into a way to remember a certain word will really stick in your head"

I think I did something like that before. Especially for biology, I would turn all those terms (and what they did) into lyrics and hum them while I was taking the test!

Works wonders.

"I'm almost positive you've heard this before, but do you use any kinds of memory methods? One of the things I do on a regular basis is assign a song to the certain topic I'm studying, (which may or may not work better for me than others because I am a musician.) which sounds silly, but really, turning something like "la da dee doo da" into a way to remember a certain word will really stick in your head"

I think I did something like that before. Especially for biology, I would turn all those terms (and what they did) into lyrics and hum them while I was taking the test!

Works wonders.

I do this as well lol.

Some people are better at memorizing than others. Specifically, Myers-Briggs Sensing types are better at memorizing details and at recall than Intuitive types.

One word of caution. Pharmacy is a very "memory heavy" field. There's a lot of detail and a lot of drugs to memorize. People who are good at memorizing tend to go into this field. So... make sure you have this issue solved before starting.