Memory, reading and concentration problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calande

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have two serious problems: short-term and long term memory on the one hand; on the other hand: reading and concentrating. I'm 29 years-old. Actually I'm able to read for a few seconds understanding the meaning of the words, then, I keep reading thinking about either anything else, or thinking about nothing at all. I'm unable to read at loud and to think about the meaning of the text at the same time. I happen to have to read 4-5 times a sentence to be able to concentrate on its meaning. I can't concentrate on what I read. Basically, I read the words in my mind without concentrating on them and without seeing their meaning. I can read a whole page easily, thinking about something else, and having absolutely no idea about what the article is talking about.

Have you ever see such a case? Is it a know problem? Does it have a name? What physician should I get in touch with? Thank you very much for your attention and for your help.

Calande.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Calande. A great place to start would be your family physician. Unfortunately, this is not the appropriate place for medical advice. Good luck!

Thanks, oh, sorry. I'm going to keep searching, as my family physician hasn't been able to solve this problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I have two serious problems: short-term and long term memory on the one hand; on the other hand: reading and concentrating. I'm 29 years-old. Actually I'm able to read for a few seconds understanding the meaning of the words, then, I keep reading thinking about either anything else, or thinking about nothing at all. I'm unable to read at loud and to think about the meaning of the text at the same time. I happen to have to read 4-5 times a sentence to be able to concentrate on its meaning. I can't concentrate on what I read. Basically, I read the words in my mind without concentrating on them and without seeing their meaning. I can read a whole page easily, thinking about something else, and having absolutely no idea about what the article is talking about.

Have you ever see such a case? Is it a know problem? Does it have a name? What physician should I get in touch with? Thank you very much for your attention and for your help.

Calande.

Could be attention deficit disorder. It is thought that there is dysfunction of the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for directing attention (i.e. focusing). Stimulants (i.e. ritalin, adderall) are thought to boost activity of the prefrontal cortex. There are also other medications that can be used to boost attention.

For me, caffeine usually does the trick. Although recently it hasn't been working quite as well!

Thanks. Will I have to take medication for a limited period of time or forever?

COuld also be depression... go see a psychiatrist, neurologist and they may be able to refer you for neuropsych analysis. That might give you the most information. Dont be afraid to shop doctors, if one is not getting it done! Most of all, got off this website I meet real doctors in person. Best of luck.