Men's Interview Clothing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Square toe with ties.

I am a HUGE fan of the square toed Kenneth Cole type look. Go for it:)

I think I should re-think my career decision and give fashion advice instead. IF every SDNer paid me 10 bucks to check their outfit and advise........I'd totally have 10 bucks right now.

Members don't see this ad.

EddiesWedding173.jpg

OR

APU31.jpg

Personally, I think the blue with the olive shirt and matching tie looks sharp. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad :)
If it weren't for the fact that the background were also black, the black suit would look just as sharp as the blue suit...

A few variations I have for my charcoal brown suit, brown socks, black cap-toe laced shoes, and black belt.

Shirts range from a textured blue shirt, a blue pinstripe shirt, or a third unpictured textured silver shirt.

Ties range from a floral brown and pink tie, a striped burgandy and blue and white tie, or a textured ivory tie.

Bummer that I only got to wear one of these during last year's interview season. The suit got more wear for work and weddings, unfortunately.

2745510994_c5a94a8ac2_m.jpg
2745510942_14a8ded478_m.jpg
2745510914_86dc3f57dd_m.jpg

Last edited:
A few variations I have for my charcoal brown suit, brown socks, black square-toe laced shoes, and black belt.

Shirts range from a textured blue shirt, a blue pinstripe shirt, or a third unpictured textured silver shirt.

Ties range from a floral brown and pink tie, a striped burgandy and blue and white tie, or a textured ivory tie.

Bummer that I only got to wear one of these during last year's interview season. The suit got more wear for work and weddings, unfortunately.

pimp

BTW, I think red's fine. Some say it's a power tie on SDN, but who cares.

On my interview day, there was just one guy with a red tie. Certainly stood out from the rest of the guys, including myself.

What about hair length? Unfortunately, men with long(er) hair are not common enough despite how fashionable it may be on some. Is there some kind of consensus on male hair length for med school interviews? My cousin could not get a job until he cut his shoulder-length hair (but that was as an electrical engineer and not a med. applicant)... Does anyone have a suggestion as to what may be the upper limit for appropriate length?

Would any of these be as acceptable as the average male 5 cm haircut?:
http://www.engtect.net/images/long-hair-male-models.jpg

What the crap. Thought you applied already... before this year.

nope. still have one more year of undergrad. applying this cycle for the first time. what made you think otherwise?

Members don't see this ad :)
A few variations I have for my charcoal brown suit, brown socks, black square-toe laced shoes, and black belt.

the far is right is tiiiiiiiiiight. very sharp.

I am thinking about wearing a stone-gray suit and a cardinal colored tie, such as my fraternity's color.

What do you guys think? I have a lot of black suits but i think they are well, black.

Just a word of friendly advice. Wear the tie but do not mention the fraternity. I was a frat boy, but it was a well kept secret when I applied to med school. Alot of ad coms do not like the frat boy thing. But the colored tie is fine. And the suit is fine, unless you have grey hair which would be odd at this point in your life. Perhaps you are going bald, then I recommend a buzz cut, and look really buff and macho. Although, the "I did not shave for two days look", I frankly do not know how that look goes over with the committees these days. Oh well, just be yourself, and speak earnestly, and you will be fine.

Just a word of friendly advice. Wear the tie but do not mention the fraternity. I was a frat boy, but it was a well kept secret when I applied to med school. Alot of ad coms do not like the frat boy thing. But the colored tie is fine. And the suit is fine, unless you have grey hair which would be odd at this point in your life. Perhaps you are going bald, then I recommend a buzz cut, and look really buff and macho. Although, the "I did not shave for two days look", I frankly do not know how that look goes over with the committees these days. Oh well, just be yourself, and speak earnestly, and you will be fine.

Ooo unless the suit is a bit on the lighter side. Then the OP would be like Tom Cruise in Collateral. :thumbup:

You really should never wear a black suit to an interview. Traditionally, they are reserved for funerals or mobsters...navy and gray should be interview suits (no pinstripes though). For suits, Thick as Thieves makes a great MTM suit for about 425 dollars and they do a conservative interview style.

Avoid square toed shoes...they look terrible...invest in a classic pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues (Black) Dont wear brown shoes to an interview.
http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Avenue-Oxford/dp/B000H1D53G

Shirt, for an interview, you should usually be white or light blue...avoid flashy ties instead opting for more classic/"preppy" ties (j crew on the lower end brioni or another seven fold silk on the higher end....)

Add a white pocket square in a tv fold.

Do not wear a tie bar or tie pin to interviews.

Most importantly, take the suit to a quality tailor and make sure it fits. Also, make sure to shine your shoes.

I realize this might be only relevant to maybe one other person on SDN (and maybe my question would be more relevent on the MilMed forum) but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen an ROTC person wearing a dress uniform to a civilian school interview. The only real "suit" type thing I own (I have a sports jacket but no suit) is my Service Dress Blues but I'm unsure if this would be too "different" for a civillian interview.

I realize this might be only relevant to maybe one other person on SDN (and maybe my question would be more relevent on the MilMed forum) but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen an ROTC person wearing a dress uniform to a civilian school interview. The only real "suit" type thing I own (I have a sports jacket but no suit) is my Service Dress Blues but I'm unsure if this would be too "different" for a civillian interview.
LizzyM wrote about this once. I think she said that it was fine for members of the military to interview in uniform. In fact, I think it'd look pretty sharp.

You can probably search for a query with "LizzyM" and "uniform" and you'd likely find the thread.

LizzyM wrote about this once. I think she said that it was fine for members of the military to interview in uniform. In fact, I think it'd look pretty sharp.

You can probably search for a query with "LizzyM" and "uniform" and you'd likely find the thread.

what if you're not in the military???

jk. i would never. although i do think it is a really cool idea if you are in the military. it will definitely make you stand out

Hell yeah, I'd wear dress blues if I was a marine. Talk about making an impression.

invest in a classic pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues (Black)
That's the exact style of shoe I have (and wore) but from Johnston and Murphy. I recommend those, personally. They're about half the price but are still phenomenal shoes.

That's the exact style of shoe I have (and wore) but from Johnston and Murphy. I recommend those, personally. They're about half the price but are still phenomenal shoes.

Il agree there...that simple captoe is a perfect shoe...J&M are a good choice for a less expensive option but you can usually find Park Avenues on Ebay for around 200-220. You should never really pay full price for them.

I would also agree with wearing your dress uniform...you have earned the right and deserve the respect that comes.

Hell yeah, I'd wear dress blues if I was a marine. Talk about making an impression.
If you knew how uncomfortable they were you would think twice.

If you are referring to Marines, please capitalize our name. haha

You really should never wear a black suit to an interview. Traditionally, they are reserved for funerals or mobsters...navy and gray should be interview suits (no pinstripes though). For suits, Thick as Thieves makes a great MTM suit for about 425 dollars and they do a conservative interview style.

Avoid square toed shoes...they look terrible...invest in a classic pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues (Black) Dont wear brown shoes to an interview.
http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Avenue-Oxford/dp/B000H1D53G

Shirt, for an interview, you should usually be white or light blue...avoid flashy ties instead opting for more classic/"preppy" ties (j crew on the lower end brioni or another seven fold silk on the higher end....)

Add a white pocket square in a tv fold.

Do not wear a tie bar or tie pin to interviews.

Most importantly, take the suit to a quality tailor and make sure it fits. Also, make sure to shine your shoes.

(styleforum?)

This is probably what most guys should strive for. Simple, unassuming, yet sharp. At the same time, I don't think this is the only thing you can wear to pull off a successful interview. Unlike business and law, I think you can afford to be less ideal, because it's not a uniform you'll wear very often after the interview. On top of that, quality suits, Brioni ties, and Park Ave's aren't cheap for an aspiring medical students (usually...).

I'll probably be wearing either a navy with subtle pins or a charcoal suit, a cream shirt, matching tie, and a pair of captoes, though.

Anyone find it funny that the mens interview attire forum is only on its second page while the women's interview attire is on the fifth page of the second thread...

I am not sexist... this is just an observation...

Anyone find it funny that the mens interview attire forum is only on its second page while the women's interview attire is on the fifth page of the second thread...

I am not sexist... this is just an observation...
There's has been around a lot longer.

Don't worry, last year guys were a whole lot more hopeless & chatty. I think it'll be true this year too and threads should come up more often as the season progresses.

(styleforum?)

This is probably what most guys should strive for. Simple, unassuming, yet sharp. At the same time, I don't think this is the only thing you can wear to pull off a successful interview. Unlike business and law, I think you can afford to be less ideal, because it's not a uniform you'll wear very often after the interview. On top of that, quality suits, Brioni ties, and Park Ave's aren't cheap for an aspiring medical students (usually...).

I'll probably be wearing either a navy with subtle pins or a charcoal suit, a cream shirt, matching tie, and a pair of captoes, though.

Good call on the styleforum,

You are right about the cost though...there is no way I could afford what most of those guys wear on that forum.

Quality suits and Brioni ties are probably out of the budget for most students (myself included) but I feel its good to suggest them as examples to look at.

I still think that getting the "ideal" look is best and just as important as law and business because I personally feel a little more confident when dressed well.

I have 4 suits but I've narrowed it down to two.

I have a dark blue suit that I usually wear with a pink tie and I ALWAYS get complements on how good it looks but I'm scared to wear it in an interview. Its not a hot pink its a really subtle pink and it really brings out my suit.
This is the closest pic I could find that resembles the look:
pink_tie.jpg

Or theres my brown suit, that I also like but haven't gotten as many compliments on, and it look more like this:
23354461.jpg

I really don't want to wear a black suit, although I have one just in case,

How about for your premedical committee interviews?
Did you all wear suits as well? Because most of my professors I've never seen wear a suit and I might feel a bit awkward being more dressed than they are. I was thinking of just wearing nice slacks with a shirt and tie. So pretty much just leaving off the jacket. Is that going to be copacetic? or should I go full force with the suit? Thanks

How about for your premedical committee interviews?
Did you all wear suits as well? Because most of my professors I've never seen wear a suit and I might feel a bit awkward being more dressed than they are. I was thinking of just wearing nice slacks with a shirt and tie. So pretty much just leaving off the jacket. Is that going to be copacetic? or should I go full force with the suit? Thanks
Yeah, I just went with slacks, dress shirt, and tie. I even wore a pink tie, which breaks a half dozen SDN rules.

I ended up with a great committee letter too, so I think you're fine.

You might wan to ask the advisors what people typically show up in. I asked mine before and they confirmed that the heat of summer makes suits difficult.

I realize that some of this (ties, shoes, belts, and hair especially) may be a matter of preference and region. For instance, I personally would NEVER wear pantyhose to an interview. But I live in California, and I'm half black and have nice legs. When I went to law school on the east coast, everyone wore pantyhose to their interviews. I didn't (in protest) and it didn't seem to make any difference.
Hair length is the same thing. At a conservative or east coast school, they could care. At UCLA....I doubt they would care very much, as long as you actually looked like you showered, and not like Keanu Reeves in Point Break.
Same goes for the square toed shoe...I personally like them, but make someone look at you in your outfit and give their honest opinion. And if buying new shoes will be a hardship for you...dont buy new shoes. Other than that I second everything MCP1 said, especially the tailor. As a guy the general rule in my head is that if Clinton Kelley wouldn't wear it, you shouldn't either
http://www.ehow.com/how_2094428_dress-best-average-man.html

ejay286 - I like the pink, and if other people do too, then its probably the best choice. A guy who can rock a pink tie or shirt in my eyes is a confident person, and that says volumes.

koko_eats - agreed....the far right rocks.

ryserr21 - i like the blue. you're so cute!

Feel free to kick my over opinionated butt out of this thread. I think I just feel more comfortable in guy threads;)

Yeah, I just went with slacks, dress shirt, and tie. I even wore a pink tie, which breaks a half dozen SDN rules.

I ended up with a great committee letter too, so I think you're fine.

You might wan to ask the advisors what people typically show up in. I asked mine before and they confirmed that the heat of summer makes suits difficult.

why do people hate on the pink tie??

Although the majority of SDNers are self-identified liberals, their dress is not when it comes to interviews. Everything for med school is done by the book and volumes have said dress conservatively.

I wish more people would wear something other than black (I didn't). I saw one guy who looked pretty sharp in a glen plaid suit.

What about wristwatch? I have a Rolex Explorer I that I usually wear with suits. It is in my opinion a tasteful and elegantly simple watch, but it is a Rolex. Anybody familiar with Rolex watches would recognize it. Would wearing a $3,000 watch to a medical school interview carry with it any negative images?

What about wristwatch? I have a Rolex Explorer I that I usually wear with suits. It is in my opinion a tasteful and elegantly simple watch, but it is a Rolex. Anybody familiar with Rolex watches would recognize it. Would wearing a $3,000 watch to a medical school interview carry with it any negative images?

I read a few months ago in a magazine column that one should wear a leather watch band with a suit while leaving the metal band for daily use.

Although the majority of SDNers are self-identified liberals, their dress is not when it comes to interviews. Everything for med school is done by the book and volumes have said dress conservatively.

Does this include pink ties? I REALLY wanna wear mine....

It's not pre-med liberalism that's the issue, it's perceived adcom conservatism to which we cater.

If applicants were allowed to write/say/dress/do what we wanted to do as twenty- or thirty-somethings, this whole process would be a bit more fun.

Does this include pink ties? I REALLY wanna wear mine....
Let me preface this by saying that the following statement is in no way racially motivated:

I think you might be able to get away with the pink tie because of your skin tone, as long as it matches your suit, of course. Pink and brown looks far, far better than pink and, well, different pink. I think I'd avoid the whole situation altogether, however, and go with traditional conservative dress. Med school interviews aren't good times for fashion statements.

Let me preface this by saying that the following statement is in no way racially motivated:

I think you might be able to get away with the pink tie because of your skin tone, as long as it matches your suit, of course. Pink and brown looks far, far better than pink and, well, different pink. I think I'd avoid the whole situation altogether, however, and go with traditional conservative dress. Med school interviews aren't good times for fashion statements.

10.gif

Lol j/k but yeah I've considered that as well. I think I may just go with something else though.

As someone who's yellow, I resent being absent from your non-racially-motivated fashion tips. I like to think the pink brings out the color of my cheeks so let it be known that yellow + pink = awesome. Sometimes.

BTW, did you have any ties to Arkansas?

It's not pre-med liberalism that's the issue, it's perceived adcom conservatism to which we cater.

If applicants were allowed to write/say/dress/do what we wanted to do as twenty- or thirty-somethings, this whole process would be a bit more fun.

I have not been on this board long, nor did I go through undergrad groomed as a pre-med, so you guys totally have more perspective on this than I do, but is this really true??

I am an older student, I have another graduate degree, I have already had other careers, including ones where I wore suits to work every day, so my opinion of the suit is clearly different than the person who has never/rarely worn one and is 20 years old. Do I need to be thinking of this as falling in line with every other 20 year old, or do I approach it as me? I really strongly feel like if someone is going to reject you for wearing a pink tie (that looks GOOD) then that is not the place that you want to be (unless it is....) but again, my persepective on life is totally different. I didn't know that a pink tie was a fashion statement so much as it was...well...a pink tie:)

But again...I am from the land of fruits and nuts. I wear flip flops all year long, and my car is mostly a transportation vehicle for my dog and surfboard.

I'm a girl, and I LOVE a pink tie...and I think you guys are a little paranoid about not being conservative enough.

I like to think the pink brings out the color of my cheeks so let it be known that yellow + pink = awesome. Sometimes.
Still better than pink and different pink! :laugh:

BTW, did you have any ties to Arkansas?
Yep, my mom's whole family is from here, and almost all of them went to undergrad here at U of Arkansas. Some of them did grad school here, too.

I really strongly feel like if someone is going to reject you for wearing a pink tie (that looks GOOD) then that is not the place that you want to be
I definitely agree in principle, but this process is all about "playing the game." You might as well keep playing during the interview.

Still better than pink and different pink! :laugh:

Yep, my mom's whole family is from here, and almost all of them went to undergrad here at U of Arkansas. Some of them did grad school here, too.

I definitely agree in principle, but this process is all about "playing the game." You might as well keep playing during the interview.

I totally get what you're saying....but if you are all playing the game....how can they tell the difference between you?;)

I have already had other careers, including ones where I wore suits to work every day, so my opinion of the suit is clearly different than the person who has never/rarely worn one and is 20 years old. Do I need to be thinking of this as falling in line with every other 20 year old, or do I approach it as me?

I agree with you that someone who wears suits often is going to be a lot more natural at it and I think that's a good thing. You have your own spin on things and you're comfortable when you're dressed up.

For applicants who have rarely/never worn a suit, however, some guidance is needed. You have to look to others to determine what you should do since wearing a suit feels like you're doing something special and unnatural.

I can personally say that when I wore my suit to my first interview, I was completely neurotic about colors, when to button/unbutton, when to take off my jacket, freaking out about wrinkles, etc.

After a few more chances to wear suits, I'm starting to do things my way and I'm a lot less paranoid about what happens.

I'm a girl, and I LOVE a pink tie...and I think you guys are a little paranoid about not being conservative enough.
I wore a pink tie in my secondary photos. A coincidence that I got soundly rejected?

I rest my case.

In all seriousness, though, I think pink is fine but I prefer to wear it with friends.

I just plan on wearing a dark grey or navy blue suit...

But what I want to see is a premed of Scottish descent wearing the entire formal kilt ensemble. Prince Charles Jacket, sporran and all. Technically, its as formal as anything, even more formal than our suits. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.