Men's Interview Clothing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, never mind then. :p
Oh, I appreciated the advice.

You had me neurotically put the pants+shoes back on to see how it looked. I thought it was a concern when I saw the picture too. Consensus is: Its fine. Picture just wasn't the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Would this be appropriate?
49109592VL_lar2_fr.png

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the black tie? I feel like it may look too trendy and not serious enough.

@raryn
nice suit! is it black? sometimes i can't tell if a suit is black because it looks light-ish, and not pure black like tuxedos

@JFrusciante
i'm very curious to see if something like this is okay without the stripes. the one i bought recently looks like this, but a little darker. not sure if you should go with a black tie on white shirt.

double breasted suits are too formal, right?

@raryn
nice suit! is it black? sometimes i can't tell if a suit is black because it looks light-ish, and not pure black like tuxedos

@JFrusciante
i'm very curious to see if something like this is okay without the stripes. the one i bought recently looks like this, but a little darker. not sure if you should go with a black tie on white shirt.
Its a darker navy blue with very muted stripes. I bought it at Macy's because my mother had some huge discounts because she does a TON of shopping there. I literally paid half as much as it was priced, and saved $300 over Men's Wearhouse where I wanted a similar suit.

Okay, you guys are getting made fun of at Styleforum.net .

I'm a regular at Styleforum.net and I figure since I am going into optometry, I'd hate to have the entire medical profession be frowned upon. So I'm gonna dish out some advice.

1) Stay away from black suits. Not just for interviews. For the rest of your life. It was cool when Reservoir Dogs came out. And it is cool in Japan. But it is not cool otherwise.

2) The safest color I can think of is charcoal gray. It is very close to black but is not black. It is conservative.

3) Stay away from pinstripes. Stay away from French cuffs. Stay away from red ties. Stay away from patterned suits (microdots, pencil stripes, windowpane, glenplaid). Stay away from contrast collars. If you're gonna be a doctor, unless you're also a multimillionaire CEO, stay away from contrast collars.

4) Stay away from shiny shirt fabrics. Not just for interviews. For the rest of your life.

5) Stay away from anything monogrammed. I'm gonna admit, the only white shirt I own has a monogram but it is in a location that is hidden when suited (as any monogram should be). Monograms on cuffs = pimp. Pimp = doctor? No.

6) Nothing on you should match except your two socks. If your tie matches your shirt in color and fabric, your interviewer may just ask you if that's your final answer?

7) No pocket squares. Just to be safe. But for the rest of your life, for the love of the Baby Jesus, wear a pocket square.

8) No tie bar, tie chains, collar pins, tie pins, no jewelry except for a nice watch. Get your watch straps fitted. And please wear a watch even if it is black rubber and made by Casio.

Okay, those are most of the no-nos.

These are the yesses:

1) Charcoal gray suit. 2 buttons or 3 buttons. Notch lapel. Any other detail is acceptable (side vent, back vent, no vent: either way. Hacking pockets or horizontal pockets: either way). 3 buttons is out of fashion but for interview purpose, don't make a huge deal of it.

2) White shirt or blue shirt only. No gray shirts. Charcoal gray suit with gray shirt is asking for a punch in the face. I would stick with white since a blue tie is safest and a blue shirt with blue tie is gonna get a kick to the face.

3) Blue tie. Keep it simple. If it has stripes, keep it simple. Red tie is asking for a punch to the face.

4) Black socks. Black shoes. Your shoes should have laces. No loafers.

With this recipe, you'll look boring and that's what you're shooting for.

What do you guys think of suspenders? I wouldn't dare wear them in an interview, but afterwards when we are actually practicing and wearing ties on an everyday basis (assumiing I get into med school).

My only reason for asking is cause I was watching A Time To Kill and Kevin Spacey looked mighty dapper in his suspenders.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention fit, the most important thing about wearing formal clothes is fit. The most boring colors and fabrics look great when all fitted properly.

I'll keep it simple:
1) The length of the suit sleeves should end at the base of the flesh of your thumb muscle and where it meets the wrist.

2) The length of the shirt sleeves should end 1/4 inch below that of the suit, about the middle of the fleshy part of your thumb muscles.

3) The front of the suit (called the "quarters") should cover your butt and end at about your second knuckle of your fingers.

4) Your pants should have no break or very little break. Up for debate. But I like to keep it on the short side.

5) Practice knotting the tie so that you get a dimple but I would go for the asymmetrical dimple you get from the 4 in hand.

I forgot to mention fit, the most important thing about wearing formal clothes is fit. The most boring colors and fabrics look great when all fitted properly.

I'll keep it simple:
1) The length of the suit sleeves should end at the base of the flesh of your thumb muscle and where it meets the wrist.

2) The length of the shirt sleeves should end 1/4 inch below that of the suit, about the middle of the fleshy part of your thumb muscles.

3) The front of the suit (called the "quarters") should cover your butt and end at about your second knuckle of your fingers.

4) Your pants should have no break or very little break. Up for debate. But I like to keep it on the short side.

5) Practice knotting the tie so that you get a dimple but I would go for the asymmetrical dimple you get from the 4 in hand.

Although I appreciate the advice you're giving, I'm going to have to disagree with you on a few points.
1) Pinstripes are absolutely FINE in a suit, provided that they are subtle (which is key) and not mismatched with a lot of other patterns.

2) The type of tie knot is secondary to the type of collar, so the 4 in hand knot is not always appropriate. If you're wearing a button-down collar (I don't know why you would unless you're playing a lot of polo or driving a convertible to the interview, but you're welcome to) then a 4 in hand may complement the narrower collar width. If you're wearing a spread collar, however, a half-windsor is almost essential to balance it out.

2a) This is assuming, by the way, that you're not going for a hipster/skinny-tie look, which would be another problem in and of itself in an interview.

3) I agree that red ties are a problem in that they tend to connote the more traditional 'power-suit' approach of the I-bankers and the consultants, but as with everything else, if you match correctly and make it subtle a red tie can work as well.

Other than that I agree with everything you say, especially that fit is key.

Allow me to repeat, FIT IS KEY

Everyone should get their suit tailored. You can say "it fit's me fine off the rack" and it may be passable, but understand that you are NOT special, and that you WILL need tailoring. Whether it's taking in the seat, trimming the legs, shortening the cuffs, or bringing in the sides, your suit needs to be tailored

In case you're wondering, I'm wearing a charcoal grey, 2 button, side-vented Canali suit with VERY subtle blue pinstripes. Who knows what shirt and tie combo I'll use, I like to mix and match based on my mood.

I'm a regular at Styleforum.net and I figure since I am going into optometry, I'd hate to have the entire medical profession be frowned upon. So I'm gonna dish out some advice.

Please, forgive us for not being as up to date as a bunch of people who seem to have way too much spare time to talk about fashion, and have a sense of elitism to go along with it. We really appreciate your advice, thanks!

1) Stay away from black suits. Not just for interviews. For the rest of your life. It was cool when Reservoir Dogs came out. And it is cool in Japan. But it is not cool otherwise.

Because, none of the 80% of premeds who show up in a black suit get accepted. Really. Because the medical world is exactly like the business one.

And stay away from them for the rest of your life? I'll have to remember that next time I'm at a wedding or funeral.

2) The safest color I can think of is charcoal gray. It is very close to black but is not black. It is conservative.

I'll agree with that one, though I would say navy blue is just as safe.

3) Stay away from pinstripes. Stay away from French cuffs. Stay away from red ties. Stay away from patterned suits (microdots, pencil stripes, windowpane, glenplaid). Stay away from contrast collars. If you're gonna be a doctor, unless you're also a multimillionaire CEO, stay away from contrast collars.

I'll have to admit I had to look up what a contrast collar was. But I'm not as "educated" as the people on your style forum. I would say that there is absolutely nothing long with muted pinstripes/patterns, but probably not when they stand out at a distance. And no one has been hurt by wearing a red tie, depending on their shirt.

4) Stay away from shiny shirt fabrics. Not just for interviews. For the rest of your life.

Can't say I've seen anyone wearing shirts I would call shiny in my life, and no one was advocating them in this thread...

5) Stay away from anything monogrammed. I'm gonna admit, the only white shirt I own has a monogram but it is in a location that is hidden when suited (as any monogram should be). Monograms on cuffs = pimp. Pimp = doctor? No.

Can't say I've ever seen someone under 40 with monogrammed shirts. But yes, if I were an interviewer, I would totally give a horrible review to anyone that wore a monogrammed shirt to an interview. Of course. (*boggles at how inane some of these things are*)

6) Nothing on you should match except your two socks. If your tie matches your shirt in color and fabric, your interviewer may just ask you if that's your final answer?

NO ONE here has been talking about ties matching in fabric. What we want are combinations that are not eye-jarring, and ties that look good with the color of our suit. I don't want one that blends in with my shirt, but I don't want one that stands out. Thanks for your very valuable advice Regis.

7) No pocket squares. Just to be safe. But for the rest of your life, for the love of the Baby Jesus, wear a pocket square.

Once again, no one I know under age 40 owns a pocket square, and I have not seen anyone on this thread advocating it. But really, your advice is appreciated.

8) No tie bar, tie chains, collar pins, tie pins, no jewelry except for a nice watch. Get your watch straps fitted. And please wear a watch even if it is black rubber and made by Casio.

I wear a Citizen watch with everything, and plan on wearing it with my suit. But really, the tie stuff and collar pins are not formal? You've got to be kidding me. I'm not planning on wearing any personally.... Also, I wear my class ring everywhere. Sorry if that offends my interviews.

1) Charcoal gray suit. 2 buttons or 3 buttons. Notch lapel. Any other detail is acceptable (side vent, back vent, no vent: either way. Hacking pockets or horizontal pockets: either way). 3 buttons is out of fashion but for interview purpose, don't make a huge deal of it.

2) White shirt or blue shirt only. No gray shirts. Charcoal gray suit with gray shirt is asking for a punch in the face. I would stick with white since a blue tie is safest and a blue shirt with blue tie is gonna get a kick to the face.

3) Blue tie. Keep it simple. If it has stripes, keep it simple. Red tie is asking for a punch to the face.

Once again, no one in this thread was advocating gray suit+gray shirt+gray tie. My favorite right now is a dark blue tie with a pale blue shirt, but I suppose thats gonna get me a "kick to the face." Hey, at least I'm gonna be wearing black socks (something thats been stated in this thread multiple times) and black shoes. Mine even have laces (which I wouldn't say to be required, but you fashionistas know better than me).

Thanks for all the advice! :)

so i have a two button charcoal grey hugo boss suit (virgin wool, back vent, blah blah). i'm wondering, what kind of shirt tie color combination would be good. i was going to go super light blue with dark blue/white stripe tie. kick in the face?

Dude I'm wearing a classic black suit, white shirt and green tie and I'm going to look FLY.

All of you guys are going to look sweet too and are going to rock your interviews. Worry about who's in the suit and the rest will take care of itself!

What's wrong with French cuff/double cuff shirts? I got this one [BOSS Humphrey], and I think it works very well with my black slim 2-button suit.

Also, why no love for red ties? Presidents wear red ties; supposedly a sign of power or confidence :confused:.

We aren't trying out to be america's next top model. In the history of medical school interviews I am sure no one has been rejected based on a fashion faux pas. Unless you show up in a t-shirt with a racist joke on it, we will all be fine dressing in our own personal style. Damn it Jim, I'm a Doctor not a fashion guru!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGzXEP9Z5s[/YOUTUBE]

I still can't decide what color tie to wear with my light blue shirt and charcoal suit. I have a darker blue one, a yellow/blue one, and a red/blue one that all match.

Opinions?

Aww, the guys at styleforum are concerned how we'll come off in our Jos Bank shirts. That's so cute.

Last edited:

With this recipe, you'll look boring and that's what you're shooting for.

Sorry, this is a load of BS. You're basically saying don't dress in any way that might distinguish yourself. That is absurd. The correct way to dress is based on your preference. Your dress matches your personality. If you're trying to conform to some stuffy intraweb style guide, it will show and you'll look like a tool. Nobody gives a flying f about things like tie rods, cuff links, black suits, blue ties, whatever else. As long as you don't show up in a neon purple zoot suit, you will be ok. Pay more attention to your demeanor and attitude and how you carry yourself than what you are wearing, because those will count for more. Also, nobody is going to admit you to medical school based on your appearance and nobody is going to reject you either unless you show a blatant disregard by showing up in shorts and docksiders.

Please, forgive us for not being as up to date as a bunch of people who seem to have way too much spare time to talk about fashion, and have a sense of elitism to go along with it. We really appreciate your advice, thanks!
Taking it all pretty personally, aye?

I'll agree with that one, though I would say navy blue is just as safe.
Seriously?

NO ONE here has been talking about ties matching in fabric. What we want are combinations that are not eye-jarring, and ties that look good with the color of our suit. I don't want one that blends in with my shirt, but I don't want one that stands out. Thanks for your very valuable advice Regis.
Example:
2745510914_86dc3f57dd_m.jpg

A lot of people sided with this option, too. They were all wrong, of course.

Aww, the guys at styleforum are concerned how we'll come off in our Jos Bank shirts. That's so cute.
While I typically spit on Men's Warehouse, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a nice tailored Jos A. Bank suit, considering that price range.

Well holy crap. I thought I'd already found the forum with the most haughty, snooty, condescending member base - SDN, of course - but I haven't been this wrong in awhile. Thanks for setting me straight, captainnerd!

While I typically spit on Men's Warehouse, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a nice tailored Jos A. Bank suit, considering that price range.
to be honest, none of it really matters. if your suit looks good on you, who cares where it's from? can someone really see through you to read the label? how does one tell at a glance if a suit or shirt is from Wal-Mart, Men's Wearhouse, Jos A Bank, Armani...? Only those who really study these types of things would have a clue. Of course a cheap material or cheap cut looks cheap, but we're not being judged on the quality of our clothing.

I can understand where styleforum is coming from.. they obviously care about looking your best, regardless of the situation. They probably aren't considering the fact that, as interviewees, we simply need to look "normal." We don't need the best suit or the most well-coordinated outfit, we just need to not look like *****s. Black suit, white shirt, red tie... overplayed? Absolutely. Will it cause you to get rejected? No way. They're interviewing your personality and aptitude for medicine, not your fashion sense.

Taking it all pretty personally, aye?

Seriously?

Example:
2745510914_86dc3f57dd_m.jpg

A lot of people sided with this option, too. They were all wrong, of course.
First of all, what the hell is wrong with a dark navy blue?

Secondly, that looks like a blue shirt with a greyish tie to me, and the patterns are different enough you can easily distinguish them. And they're also relatively subtle. I don't see a problem.

Damn, if you don't even like men's wearhouse you would absolutely hate my suit. I bought an "Alfani" brand suit at Macy's. I'm so screwed, and the adcoms will all reject me.

Last edited:
don't worry Raryn, I bought all of my stuff on sale. Oh, I know, the fashion gods are going to smite me.
I'll be right there with you, considering I used all of my mothers various discounts at the Macy's I was at, on top of the fact the suit was on sale!

*sobs* No one will take me now.

(WTF with that forum btw. I skimmed it, and really, I gotta agree with MilkmanAl on this one. It amazed me.)

there's a thread dedicated to showing off your expensive duffel bag. seriously?

some of the "fashion" displayed there, imo, isn't fashionable at all. I guess I'm too conservative/traditional/boring/unsophisticated for the likes of them.

there's a thread dedicated to showing off your expensive duffel bag. seriously?

some of the "fashion" displayed there, imo, isn't fashionable at all. I guess I'm too conservative/traditional/boring/unsophisticated for the likes of them.
Yeah, I saw that one too. "Duffel bag p0rn" or something. I'm sure these guys were getting off on it. My favorite though is in the thread discussing us, they start criticizing our grammar. I don't think I saw anything too bad in our thread, but hey, we are just not up to their standards.

(On a side note, we should probably get back on topic.)

I'll be right there with you, considering I used all of my mothers various discounts at the Macy's I was at, on top of the fact the suit was on sale!

*sobs* No one will take me now.

(WTF with that forum btw. I skimmed it, and really, I gotta agree with MilkmanAl on this one. It amazed me.)

You guys may like the streetwear and denim category at SF. Or the entertainment and music category.

Yes, the people at SF are wealthy and older. But if you're gonna get style advice, you should probably get it from them. Read the "interviews" threads on SF. There are over a dozen of them (do a search). There, you'll get pretty good suggestions.

Most of the interview threads are not geared towards med school though. They're more for law firms, accounting, iBanking, etc. but they'll suffice for med school as well.

to be honest, none of it really matters. if your suit looks good on you, who cares where it's from? can someone really see through you to read the label? how does one tell at a glance if a suit or shirt is from Wal-Mart, Men's Wearhouse, Jos A Bank, Armani...? Only those who really study these types of things would have a clue. Of course a cheap material or cheap cut looks cheap, but we're not being judged on the quality of our clothing.

I can understand where styleforum is coming from.. they obviously care about looking your best, regardless of the situation. They probably aren't considering the fact that, as interviewees, we simply need to look "normal." We don't need the best suit or the most well-coordinated outfit, we just need to not look like *****s. Black suit, white shirt, red tie... overplayed? Absolutely. Will it cause you to get rejected? No way. They're interviewing your personality and aptitude for medicine, not your fashion sense.
This is generally true, with the caveat that a good suit will typically leave a solid first impression. Some people are also invested with confidence if they know for certain that they are walking into an interview situation with a more stylish attire than the outdated standards more commonly encountered. That second is an indirect effect, I realize, but the former is certainly a consideration.

It's true that a good suit will not guarantee acceptances, and a bad one will not forbid them. But decent style is part of your overall presentation (albeit a minor one), and can do nothing to hurt your chances. I wouldn't be as quick to attack their suggestions, no matter how abrasively they tend to be given.

First of all, what the hell is wrong with a dark navy blue?

Secondly, that looks like a blue shirt with a greyish tie to me, and the patterns are different enough you can easily distinguish them. And they're also relatively subtle. I don't see a problem.

Damn, if you don't even like men's wearhouse you would absolutely hate my suit. I bought an "Alfani" brand suit at Macy's. I'm so screwed, and the adcoms will all reject me.
You are welcome to your opinions. But if you insist on the navy blue suit, at least wear darker shoes.

Yes, the people at SF are wealthy and older. But if you're gonna get style advice, you should probably get it from them. Read the "interviews" threads on SF. There are over a dozen of them (do a search). There, you'll get pretty good suggestions.

Really? The only person I ever knew of that visited that forum was a total fake. Lived off his parents money, pretended it was all his from his 'business' which was bankrolled by his family and was a total failure, did nothing but show off his stuff, wore counterfeit watches, and was a user of anabolic steroids and tanning beds. In other words, poseur extraordinare. Obsessing about such mundane and material things enough to create an internet presence on a forum dedicated to such matters just screams insecurity. Real men don't go around criticizing others for not conforming to their obviously superior sense of style or being able to afford expensive material items in some sort of perverted attempt to establish self-confidence and worth.

And I seriously doubt that anyone successful in banking, law, politics, real estate, or whatever has enough time to screw around on web forums worrying whether anyone is going to take him because seriously because his 'wife' bought him a Turnbull/Asser shirt off eBay (gasp).

so i have a two button charcoal grey hugo boss suit (virgin wool, back vent, blah blah). i'm wondering, what kind of shirt tie color combination would be good. i was going to go super light blue with dark blue/white stripe tie. kick in the face?
I usually wear light blue with a dark blue tie or a white shirt with a pastel tie such as peach or pink.

Obsessing about such mundane and material things enough to create an internet presence on a forum dedicated to such matters just screams insecurity. Real men don't go around criticizing others for not conforming to their obviously superior sense of style or being able to afford expensive material items in some sort of perverted attempt to establish self-confidence and worth.

And I seriously doubt that anyone successful in banking, law, politics, real estate, or whatever has enough time to screw around on web forums worrying whether anyone is going to take him because seriously because his 'wife' bought him a Turnbull/Asser shirt off eBay (gasp).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosexual

You should meet one of my buddies who recently graduated law school. He is the counterexample to everything you just wrote. ;)

Stop bashing the guys on SF, you're just taking the low road and most of the insults lobbed over there could equally be volleyed back here (aka, what successful premed has time to post a ton on an internet message board, etc).

In general though, I would recommend against looking at their interview threads as they are mostly geared towards banking/consulting/law interviews. In those interviews (and I've done a couple quite successfully) you want to project a powerful image that will lead to the interviewer envisioning you controlling a boardroom one day (hence the power suits and red ties). In medical interviews you are trying to gain access to a service profession that is about primarily about patient-care, so power suits are inappropriate.

Again, get a suit you like, take it to a tailor, do what they say, and you'll be fine.

"Successful premed?" :laugh:

I thought I'd add that my interviewers were wearing:
1. nice sweater and collared shirt with jeans
2. navy suit
3. UAMS sweatshirt and jeans

Although I appreciate the advice you're giving, I'm going to have to disagree with you on a few points.
1) Pinstripes are absolutely FINE in a suit, provided that they are subtle (which is key) and not mismatched with a lot of other patterns.

2) The type of tie knot is secondary to the type of collar, so the 4 in hand knot is not always appropriate. If you're wearing a button-down collar (I don't know why you would unless you're playing a lot of polo or driving a convertible to the interview, but you're welcome to) then a 4 in hand may complement the narrower collar width. If you're wearing a spread collar, however, a half-windsor is almost essential to balance it out.

2a) This is assuming, by the way, that you're not going for a hipster/skinny-tie look, which would be another problem in and of itself in an interview.

3) I agree that red ties are a problem in that they tend to connote the more traditional 'power-suit' approach of the I-bankers and the consultants, but as with everything else, if you match correctly and make it subtle a red tie can work as well.

Other than that I agree with everything you say, especially that fit is key.

Allow me to repeat, FIT IS KEY

Everyone should get their suit tailored. You can say "it fit's me fine off the rack" and it may be passable, but understand that you are NOT special, and that you WILL need tailoring. Whether it's taking in the seat, trimming the legs, shortening the cuffs, or bringing in the sides, your suit needs to be tailored

In case you're wondering, I'm wearing a charcoal grey, 2 button, side-vented Canali suit with VERY subtle blue pinstripes. Who knows what shirt and tie combo I'll use, I like to mix and match based on my mood.

I agree with every one of your opinions. Your opinions are focused towards those who are already quite savvy.

I tried to play it safe by simply ruling out pinstripes entirely and ruling out spread collars entirely. Spread collars aren't widely sold in the US and are quite rare at most dept stores.

I personally want to wear my charcoal gray with pink and purple pinstripe one button peak lapel and white broadcloth with pink check shirt. But will not. I'll probably stick with solid charcoal gray flannel 2 button notch with hacking pockets, white broadcloth, and gray wool tie.

Most of the people on SF make fun because they have brilliant senses of humor and it is turned on 24/7 because most of them are quite educated. If you frequent those forums, they're always making fun of each other and when made fun of, they receive it quite well. I make fun of others, others make fun of me. We always accept it quite well.

Well, not everyone accepts it. When they don't accept it well, they usually get so much flack that they leave.

Most of the criticism is constructive criticism with a bit of humor thrown in. That does not make it destructive criticism though (IMO).

Had the original poster of this thread gone onto SF with this same question, they would have gotten very polite advice (there are numerous examples of completely new SF members who spend their first post with a "I'm completely new to wearing suits and I have this interview" thread). The problem arose because the thread was placed here and a lot of bad advise was given. The same occurs at SF which is primarily a style forum. I would never go there to ask a question about cars (although many there are quite educated about cars).

The people at SF are obsessed about clothes because it is part of what they do. Many are consultants, iBankers, accountants, lawyers, etc. I would say most went on to solve a simple question and then realized they had more questions and so forth. You wouldn't believe the number of cases of lawyers being pulled aside by jury members and being told they looked like crap and that affected their case. Justice may be blind, but even she is affected by bad attire.

Others (including myself) are there because we are fascinated about the way things are made. I respect an optometrist who does retinoscopy the old fashion way instead of relying on a machine. As someone who will be entering a service profession, you want a relationship with your patients that mean you care. A suitmaker or shirtmaker will understand that you want a good product and that most often entails things being done by hand. This is very similar to seeing every single patient and asking them about every single detail of their ailment.

I think it is completely disrespectful to the interviewers, your patients, and to your profession if you do not put an effort into looking respectable. And you don't have to look like a million bucks to get the right affect. Putting in a little effort will show.

Actually, some of the people on SF are quite snooty. I'm glad I wasn't snooty enough to ignore your plight and offer a little help.

But please look in the mirror. If you're so snooty as to ignore advice from better informed people and to attack back with ad hominem attacks of classism, should you be a doctor? Even doctors who are not well informed about a particular ailment will refer to another doctor.

PS. My first post had a bit of humor. But now that I see how sensitive you all are here, I'll be dry from now on. Just kidding.

captainnerd, I think we all understand how important fashion/style is to those people. There's no doubt they know what the latest fashion is, and most pre-meds don't. Fortunately, fashion is not a factor that is considered at interviews.

But to insult people by suggesting that they are disrespecting people by not following the latest fashion trends is insane. The life of your patient does not rely on your bespoke shirt.

I'm sure we all appreciate your help. A simple "I wouldn't wear that tie with that shirt" is good advice. Telling us what brands we need to avoid because people are obsessed with labels isn't very productive. Not everyone can drop $1500 on a suit that they're going to wear once in the next 4 years. Some people have very limited budgets, and the extent that they can be helped ends with color coordination.

So thanks for the help, and I hope you continue to lend your advice. Please avoid making inflammatory remarks about peoples' aptitude based on their willingness to accept critique on an almost moot issue.

And the reason that this thread is here instead of the styleforum (other than the fact that none of us have heard of the styleforum) is because we are discussing specifically med school interviews. Med schools are different than your business or law situations, and I would probably appreciate the advice given here more than the advice given by a bunch of businessmen.

One thing I disagree with a bit is the notion that you don't want to wear a power suit (with a red tie and whatnot). I can't think of a reason why projecting a forceful image of yourself in a med school interview would be a bad idea. Maybe I'm not seeing something obvious. I dunno. By the way, I wore a power suit to my interview. :p

Not everyone can drop $1500 on a suit that they're going to wear once in the next 4 years. Some people have very limited budgets, and the extent that they can be helped ends with color coordination.
This is so true.

captainnerd, I think we all understand how important fashion/style is to those people. There's no doubt they know what the latest fashion is, and most pre-meds don't. Fortunately, fashion is not a factor that is considered at interviews.

But to insult people by suggesting that they are disrespecting people by not following the latest fashion trends is insane. The life of your patient does not rely on your bespoke shirt.

I'm sure we all appreciate your help. A simple "I wouldn't wear that tie with that shirt" is good advice. Telling us what brands we need to avoid because people are obsessed with labels isn't very productive. Not everyone can drop $1500 on a suit that they're going to wear once in the next 4 years. Some people have very limited budgets, and the extent that they can be helped ends with color coordination.

So thanks for the help, and I hope you continue to lend your advice. Please avoid making inflammatory remarks about peoples' aptitude based on their willingness to accept critique on an almost moot issue.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. My suggestion never required a particular brand. I would get something On the Rack (OTR) and tailor it as suggested above about fit.

As for fashion trends, I am not speaking of fashion trends. A 2 or 3 button charcoal, notch lapel suit with white shirt and conservative tie will never be a trend. It has been the norm for the last 60 years. I am suggesting we stick to the norms.

I am not requesting people buy the latest bespoke clothing with the coolest labels. I don't think I've mentioned a single label or brand. I in no way suggested that a patient will be disrespected if his doctor is not in bespoke clothing.

In the end, it is truly a matter of fit. The most boring colors and fabrics, fitted properly, will be better than any of the pinstripes and bright ties previously suggested before SF caught whiff of this thread.

As to another post about iBanking or law interviews being so much different, I would disagree. There was a recent thread on SF about a law school interview (or may have been law firm), and the suggestions were about the same. Dark charcoal, notched lapel, white or blue shirt, blue or gray tie, no french cuffs, no pocket square, black socks, black shoes, all boring. Not even law firms and i-banks want a rabble rouser. If they're a respected i-bank and have been around for a few generations, they want conformity.

Nobody is asking that we all become FABUUUULOUS (insert jazz hands), just stay conservative. Like I said before, your clothes wont seal the deal, it'll just get you in the door. And playing it safe is way better than going pinstriped and collar-pinned (remember the boss from Office Space with his contrast collars and suspenders? You don't want to be that guy. You also don't want to go in as Gordon Gecko while interviewing for an entry position at an i-bank where you'll be making cold calls for the next two years).

Get a suit for $300 or $400. Get it altered (or tailored as some people say). Go to Macy's and ask for your neck and sleeve measurements. Get a shirt that fits for $50. Get a tie for $40 at Macy's while you're at it. Then get a pair of black shoes with a cap toe (conservative) for $80, nothing fancy. Tops, it shouldn't cost you more than $600.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with brand, it's all about fit and conforming to the norm. And the norm is NOT black suits. I can't explain to you why black suits are shunned. They just are. But if you have one, I don't see why not. But if you need to get one, why not buy something you might wear for other occasions as well. Also, to a poster above, charcoal gray will work at a funeral. There's no point in buying a black suit for the sole purpose of funerals. It'd be a huge waste of money to buy a suit for the sole purpose of funerals.

Also, I suggest someone start a thread on SF specific to Med school. I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Last edited:
You could have simply said "And no matter what, make sure it fits and/or have it tailored!"

I was referring more to SF and their snubbery of Jos Bank and Mens Wearhouse. They're not the best, but they get the job done. FWIW, I get my cheap Jos Bank shirts tailored.

And I still need to know whether to wear my gold/blue, navy, or red/blue tie with my charcoal suit and light blue shirt.

I think a TV-fold white linen square is always appropriate interview attire, but I know it's been debated ad nauseum by people more qualified than myself.

I was under the impression that socks matched the color of the trousers and not the shoes. Charcoal suit -> charcoal socks, although I don't think anyone would notice the difference between solid black socks and solid charcoal socks.

Other than that, I agree with most everything else. While I don't think most interviewers will care what people wear as long as it isn't absurd, it doesn't hurt to know what is appropriate and "correct" from a historical standpoint. There are always subconscious impressions that dictated by aesthetics (fit, color, coordination, etc.) and on the off chance that you get an interviewer that would be put off by french cuffs or a pinstripes, atleast you'll be as prepared. It's kind of like a tattoo - some people might not care that it's there, but you probably don't want to be showing it off to a room of 40 or 50-something year olds that are judging your fate :).

Allow my intrusion into your message boards. I am an attending orthopaedic surgeon at a well known University in the U.S., and happen to be a Style forum member as well. There are actually quite a few physicians there.

The advice from captain nerd is spot on - I'd follow it.

I, as an attending, often get to interview candidates (for residency), and meet medical students as well. Since we have limited time to spend with you, first impressions do count for quite a bit. As a result, I wear suits while in office hours, since this is my first impression on patients.

In any case, we expect people interviewing to care about interviewing. Since there is an abundance of interviewees, then choosing someone who cares more, be it how they dress, or whatever, is an easy process.

Do I care whether someone is wearing a made to measure suit by Kiton, or an off the rack by Alfani? - no. But if someone shows up in a horribly trendy suit like the hoods in Pulp Fiction do, then I wonder. Why, because I can see that they didn't take the time to ask someone who knows about interviewing, and therefore think that you don't care.

Many people in medicine are drudges - with little social skills, as they have spent too much studying, and have not developed people skills. So asking fashion/interview advice here, is somewhat like the blind leading the blind.

Obviously in a perfect world, we would be judged solely on intellectual and moral merits, but this is not the case.

SO....
No black suits, no square toed shoes, get your suit tailored.

Status
Not open for further replies.