Menstrual Cycle/Ovarian Cycle question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

betterfuture

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have my A&P book which states that when the menstrual cycle begins and GnRH is release, both FSH and LH are made, THOUGH only FSH is secreted yet I read the total opposite in my review book where it states that FSH and LH are both MADE and RELEASED. Anybody know which one is correct?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have my A&P book which states that when the menstrual cycle begins and GnRH is release, both FSH and LH are made, THOUGH only FSH is secreted yet I read the total opposite in my review book where it states that FSH and LH are both MADE and RELEASED. Anybody know which one is correct?
LH is only released when a threshold level of estrogen is hit (around day 14). There are a few theories for what specifically about the estrogen level coming from the developing follicle causes LH release.

My kaplan review book also says that GNRH causes synthesis and release of FSH and LH from the anterior pituitary.

The big thing to remember is that a spike in LH causes ovulation and the remnant corpus lutuem releases progesterone to maintain the uterine walls.