Mention Low VR on Secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcn33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the middle of filling out secondary prompts, and for the ones that ask "is there anything else you would like us to know?", I have primarily talked about some lackluster grades freshman year. My main question is should I talk about my low (9) VR score on my MCAT? Spanish was my first language, and I am now fluent in both English and Spanish, but feel that I still may be lacking in my command of the english language in some areas. I scored 14 on BS and PS, so I feel like this is something I need to address, just not sure if secondaries are the right spot to do so.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

A 37. I have officially seen it all.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to restrain myself.....finding difficultly.....

Reactions: 6 users
These are the neurotic posts that lead to people saying stay off of SDN.

Reactions: 7 users
Don't bring more attention to the negative components of your application.
Instead of saying woe is me I grew up in a Spanish speaking household and my marginal understanding of English must have made me get a 9 in VR and the score doesn't reflect my true ability, etc. =>[reject]
Instead say how you are bilingual and grew up in a Spanish speaking household, in an economically disadvantaged area, and how you hope to use your fluency of spanish and intimate understanding of the problems in the community to help to improve care to those patients in the city. Proper basic healthcare can decrease morbidity and mortality later in life, blah blah blah =>[interview]
You get the idea.
Positive spin...

Reactions: 1 user
Who/what made you believe a 9 VR is low? Your 37 makes you competitive at nearly every school in this country

So are you a URM with a 37? If so you should have a very good cycle.
A 9 is fine, usuually if you have a good overall score and all are above an 8 you're good to go.
Congrats on the great score and good luck this cycle!

You can get into any school with that country. Seriously don't even bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to everyone who gave me some advice on the topic...I'm sorry if it came across as "neurotic" to some of you, but I've had multiple people/advisers comment on the score so I wanted another opinion. Anyway, if I do address I'll put a much more positive spin on it and not use it as an excuse. Thanks again for everyone who made an effort to give some advice.

Thank you to everyone who gave me some advice on the topic...I'm sorry if it came across as "neurotic" to some of you, but I've had multiple people/advisers comment on the score so I wanted another opinion. Anyway, if I do address I'll put a much more positive spin on it and not use it as an excuse. Thanks again for everyone who made an effort to give some advice.
I think what everyone here is trying to say is don't address it. If you feel you need to talk about your lackluster grades mentioned earlier, that would be much more productive and less cringeworthy to adcoms. You really excelled and need to give yourself credit for that- a 37 is no easy feat. Focus on the grades and what you did to improve. In a sense, talking about the verbal holds no weight because it's over and done with. You don't want to put a light on something "negative." Shine the light on your grade redemption and how you improved. Much more delightful to adcoms.

If you decide not to address it as people are recommending here, you may be asked about it in interviews. This is where I would bring in the positive spin and talk about growing up bilingual and the challenges and opportunities that afforded you. I had many answers "planned" depending on what questions they asked in order to keep me from rambling. It sometimes worked. :p

Wow... some guy/gal is complaining about their 37. I was literally expecting to see this "Low VR" score to be a 6 or 7. Instead imagine my suprise at seeing a 9.

OP all you are doing is making people like myself (made a 29) feel bad.

You should say you were brought up in a bilingual household and the score doesn't reflect your true ability.

Oh I guess I gave off the wrong impression :). I made a 10 on VR, its just my overall score is what I was referring to.

If everyone listened to their pre-med advisors, the doctor shortage we have now would pale in comparison.