Mentor gave up on me, should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1136279

Downward spiral all my life , the grades were there, the mental health was not. Mentor told me this can be figured out in a couple months and she will help me get to medical school. 3 years later and im out of school, failed my last course, jobless, misdiagnosed in healthcare for years with improper treatment from multiple healthcare professionals (psychaitrists, psychologists, family doctors, etc.) , and now mentor unsure what steps i should take next. Kind of lost. Anywhere I turn I have no help. Doctors havent been helpful in my mental health. Feel like my life is over. Non functional at this point. Nail in the coffin was mentor giving up on me. What do i do when even my doctors cant help me and are untrustworthy in giving me proper treatment?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
dont let your mind strangle you like this my friend. you are more than what your doctors or mentors think. collect yourself, see what you need to do to improve and rebound (personal life first then academic endeavors), use your support system or seek one if you don't already have one.

you've got this

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Downward spiral all my life , the grades were there, the mental health was not. Mentor told me this can be figured out in a couple months and she will help me get to medical school. 3 years later and im out of school, failed my last course, jobless, misdiagnosed in healthcare for years with improper treatment from multiple healthcare professionals (psychaitrists, psychologists, family doctors, etc.) , and now mentor unsure what steps i should take next. Kind of lost. Anywhere I turn I have no help. Doctors havent been helpful in my mental health. Feel like my life is over. Non functional at this point. Nail in the coffin was mentor giving up on me. What do i do when even my doctors cant help me and are untrustworthy in giving me proper treatment?
Your mental health comes first!. You will need to seek help, and that is more important than becoming a doctor

Members don't see this ad :)
I am concerned that “improper treatment from multiple healthcare professionals” and “misdiagnosis” might suggest that you are resistant to accept diagnosis and treatment. Do you have a professional you trust to treat your mental health issues? Once you have that in place, and are feeling more stable, you can begin to address the other issues.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
With all due respect, I don't know if you mentor gave up on you, but a single mentor (much less a team) cannot solve all your problems. One thing is for sure, if you are not well with your mental health, a healthcare career is not going to work for you. If your issues are that complex that your health team is unable to come up with a diagnosis (which is common for mental health), then you just have to keep looking for help. I also don't get what you mean by being misdiagnosed or improperly treated for the last 3 years, but I can understand how you lost your trust in the professionals who are meant to take care of you somehow.

That said, this is not the place to provide you medical advice which is ultimately what you need to find a path out of your situation. You need to find someone you can trust, or else you will not know where you can go next that won't make things worse.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.