Mercer University College of Pharmacy Class of 2019 (Entering Fall 2015)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I'm a current student at Mercer Pharmacy, let me know any questions ya'll might have.

Hi, my question is are the financial aid award packages and grants from the university usually enough to cover tuition and books? Or did you have outside scholarships to assist with costs? Also, would you advise for or against working part time during the school year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, my question is are the financial aid award packages and grants from the university usually enough to cover tuition and books? Or did you have outside scholarships to assist with costs? Also, would you advise for or against working part time during the school year?
Are you serious? Free ride in Pharmacy school? Have you talked to school about the cost of attendance?

Advise me, please!

Are you serious? Free ride in Pharmacy school? Have you talked to school about the cost of attendance?

Advise me, please!

Well of course I'm serious, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for everything, obviously this is all new to me! Yes, I've emailed the financial aid advisor, no response just yet. No worries, I'll be learning more at their upcoming PharmD event.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, The financial aid you have to get through FAFSA. The tuition is locked in your first semester for 4 years. I was locked in at 16.8K There are scholarships available if you come in with a certain GPA, and if you uphold the GPA throughout all the semesters. The school doesn't pay for your tuition, you have to come up with money from federal loans, small outside scholarships, and if you have an incoming GPA or you do good your first year as a P1, you will get a small part of tuition, but it will not cover your whole tuition ($2,000). Some of the books are provided online for the whole class, while others you have to buy on your own. It all depends how much of the federal aid you want to take out. Books are usually not that expensive and the upper classmen usually sell them in the 30-60 dollar range (depends on the book)
As for working during the year, it all depends on you. I not naturally gifted with a great brain, so I have to sit down and study for hours to do well on tests. I just don't have time for work. Unlike me, some of my classmates freely work 10 hours a week, usually 1 day weekend, or part days when they don't have lab, and do just as great. It is all about time management and your capabilities. I would not recommend working more than 20 hours a week. (I don't think thats possible).

In conclusion, money wise make sure you apply for the fafsa 15-16 year, and definitely talk to the advisor about the ins and outs of federal aid/scholarships/living. The staff is great and they will make it easy.
Hope I answered your question.

Hello, The financial aid you have to get through FAFSA. The tuition is locked in your first semester for 4 years. I was locked in at 16.8K There are scholarships available if you come in with a certain GPA, and if you uphold the GPA throughout all the semesters. The school doesn't pay for your tuition, you have to come up with money from federal loans, small outside scholarships, and if you have an incoming GPA or you do good your first year as a P1, you will get a small part of tuition, but it will not cover your whole tuition ($2,000). Some of the books are provided online for the whole class, while others you have to buy on your own. It all depends how much of the federal aid you want to take out. Books are usually not that expensive and the upper classmen usually sell them in the 30-60 dollar range (depends on the book)
As for working during the year, it all depends on you. I not naturally gifted with a great brain, so I have to sit down and study for hours to do well on tests. I just don't have time for work. Unlike me, some of my classmates freely work 10 hours a week, usually 1 day weekend, or part days when they don't have lab, and do just as great. It is all about time management and your capabilities. I would not recommend working more than 20 hours a week. (I don't think thats possible).

In conclusion, money wise make sure you apply for the fafsa 15-16 year, and definitely talk to the advisor about the ins and outs of federal aid/scholarships/living. The staff is great and they will make it easy.
Hope I answered your question.

Hi, thank you so much for the info and your perspective concerning PT work as well as from other students! I've completed FAFSA and will be talking to advisors soon. For the incoming class the semesterly rate is roughly the same as yours, super expensive but I'm still excited to transition to Mercer.

Is the class filled yet? Does anyone know how long it will take them to reply back to you after you application is verified this late into the application period?

Received my acceptance letter this morning!!
Is the class filled yet? Does anyone know how long it will take them to reply back to you after you application is verified this late into the application period?

They do rolling admission so thats tough..as long as ur stats are good u will get an interview... Just ace the interview and u will get accepted

is mercer pharm good or sucks like rude or arrogant communistic admission school? im only applying in case i dont get in fl.

Hey guys, for those accepted: I know it might still seem like pharmacy school is a long way away...August...BUT! Make sure you start on your immunization requirements. You were provided the checklist during orientation, so knock it out of the way because some shots might be required as a series that has to be separated by months. Make sure you get your titers!!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have an interview Monday (April 6th)?

Hey guys, for those accepted: I know it might still seem like pharmacy school is a long way away...August...BUT! Make sure you start on your immunization requirements. You were provided the checklist during orientation, so knock it out of the way because some shots might be required as a series that has to be separated by months. Make sure you get your titers!!
Pretty

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are lower and I got in. :) however, I have 3+ years of pharmacy experience, and I'm pursuing a masters in biology now.(I'll be done by the time school starts). I applied last year to mercer with a low GPA and they interviewed me but I was denied. They suggested I take more upper level biology courses. I would think your stats are good enough for PCOM though. Their average pcat score was a 56? It was in the 50s range. ( I interviewed and was accepted there too)

Hi, I have an interview coming up on May 4 for Mercer. I'm a little concerned about my GPA, would you be able to share your gpa from your previous interview at Mercer? I'm afraid I'll get denied because it isn't high enough =(

Spring Picnic is this Friday! Hope ya'll come out and meet the class of '19!

I had interview on 4/13 and I got a miss call on 4/16 at 5 from Mercer and she said she wanted to talk about the admission. I called back and left her voicemail. She called me back a next day but missed it again. I am wonderring if i get accepted or be on waiting list 'cause i havent received any email like my friend did. Can anybody here let me know with my situation? I am dying of waiting for the call again until next week :(

you got it! I don't know the truth though! be happy who cares. You're too good for that. If you can get over this, this will be best trait you carry in life.

Will the immunization form be sent to us?Under the checklist it says it would be provided.

Will the immunization form be sent to us?Under the checklist it says it would be provided.
You should have gotten an immunization form in the packet when you did your interview. Also if you lost that, I think there is a copy you can find and print off of the mercer website

got denied !! anyone else here?

I just got accepted off of the waiting list yesterday!!!! I'm surprised but super excited :) Is there a facebook group??

I just got accepted off of the waiting list yesterday!!!! I'm surprised but super excited :) Is there a facebook group??
You may have found it by now, but it's at the top of the tinyurl link that was provided in your acceptance email! Congrats as well!