Mercer University Master in Pre-Clinical Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,
How early should we apply to the program?

The application's been open since March 1st. I submitted all my application materials by March 1st and received an email the next day saying my application file is complete. They also said application files are reviewed on a rolling basis at admissions meetings every two weeks, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
The application's been open since March 1st. I submitted all my application materials by March 1st and received an email the next day saying my application file is complete. They also said application files are reviewed on a rolling basis at admissions meetings every two weeks, but I haven't heard anything back yet.
Thank You! I'm just hoping when I send my application out in late April it would be to late. As in I know a lot of people are applying right when applications opened up.

My application was complete on 4/5, just received my acceptance email this afternoon!

If anyone is looking for help with finding an apt or is looking for a roommate for the upcoming year, the director will send out a list prob around mid July. I am also looking for a roommate for the upcoming year as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is looking for help with finding an apt or is looking for a roommate for the upcoming year, the director will send out a list prob around mid July. I am also looking for a roommate for the upcoming year as well.

When were you accepted to the program? If you don't mind sharing

When were you accepted to the program? If you don't mind sharing

I am in my second year of the biomedical sciences program at mercer. I applied last year in May 2015 to both the PCS and BMS programs. I was first accepted to the PCS program in June but waited out for the BMS program bc that was what my heart was set on.

I applied and Im from texas as well. What part are you from?

I got into the PCS program last month and paid my deposit! Anyone else confirmed on going there?

Reactions: 1 user
Im from LaMarque but in Waco from school and no waiting relentlessly but it hasnt been long just praying i get in
I'm from the southeast near Beaumont area,and you? Have you heard anything?
co

I just completed the PCS program this past year, so if you happen to have any questions feel free to let me know! It is a grueling year, but definitely manageable. As the program director will tell you during orientation, it is best to not work. So if you are looking for an apartment, make sure you keep that in mind.

I just completed the PCS program this past year, so if you happen to have any questions feel free to let me know! It is a grueling year, but definitely manageable. As the program director will tell you during orientation, it is best to not work. So if you are looking for an apartment, make sure you keep that in mind.
How did you benefit from the program or what did you gain from this year besides a masters?

How did you benefit from the program or what did you gain from this year besides a masters?
Besides the degree, I feel like I gained a better knowledge of the basic sciences with a slight understanding of clinical application. I really feel like I finally learned how to study. It is an intense year...I will tell you that. Spring semester, you are tested every week for three weeks and then have one week off. You cannot fall behind--or you are screwed. It is a challenge, but if you work hard you can do it. I learned to fight for every point, on every test. I gained a better understanding of what the rigor of medical school could/will be like. As cliche as it might sound, I really feel as though I just learned to be a better student. I learned what worked for me study wise and what didn't. It's a hard/fast paced Masters program, but I enjoyed my year there.

Besides the degree, I feel like I gained a better knowledge of the basic sciences with a slight understanding of clinical application. I really feel like I finally learned how to study. It is an intense year...I will tell you that. Spring semester, you are tested every week for three weeks and then have one week off. You cannot fall behind--or you are screwed. It is a challenge, but if you work hard you can do it. I learned to fight for every point, on every test. I gained a better understanding of what the rigor of medical school could/will be like. As cliche as it might sound, I really feel as though I just learned to be a better student. I learned what worked for me study wise and what didn't. It's a hard/fast paced Masters program, but I enjoyed my year there.

Hi Fellow Classmate! :)

Has anyone heard back from the school about decisions on admittance?

I am in my second year of the biomedical sciences program at mercer. I applied last year in May 2015 to both the PCS and BMS programs. I was first accepted to the PCS program in June but waited out for the BMS program bc that was what my heart was set on.

I was just accepted into the BMS program in early May. Is there any way you can provide a little more insight on the scholarship and fellowship opportunity? I contacted the director of the program, Dr. McCann, and he informed me that the scholarship is more of a waiver although they don't really call it that. He said I would pay for the first semester and one more 5 hour didactic course in the second semester but the remaining tuition would be provided in the form of a "tuition scholarship". Is it really that simple or are there other stipulations that I'm just not seeing? He also said that the fellowship starts in January and basically runs through graduation. Am I also guaranteed that position with acceptance, or again is there something I'm missing? From what I've seen through a few forums apparently the BMS program is much smaller than the PCS program so I assume it would be possible to offer these opportunities. Any insight is greatly appreciated, and sorry for derailing this thread btw. I know this is primarily regarding the PCS program but your honestly the first person I've encountered on here that may have any advice for my exact program.

I was just accepted into the BMS program in early May. Is there any way you can provide a little more insight on the scholarship and fellowship opportunity? I contacted the director of the program, Dr. McCann, and he informed me that the scholarship is more of a waiver although they don't really call it that. He said I would pay for the first semester and one more 5 hour didactic course in the second semester but the remaining tuition would be provided in the form of a "tuition scholarship". Is it really that simple or are there other stipulations that I'm just not seeing? He also said that the fellowship starts in January and basically runs through graduation. Am I also guaranteed that position with acceptance, or again is there something I'm missing? From what I've seen through a few forums apparently the BMS program is much smaller than the PCS program so I assume it would be possible to offer these opportunities. Any insight is greatly appreciated, and sorry for derailing this thread btw. I know this is primarily regarding the PCS program but your honestly the first person I've encountered on here that may have any advice for my exact program.

Indeed, the BMS program is significantly smaller than the PCS. Last year, I believe only 7 students were accepted. The fellowship, or the research (physically in the lab) portion, is a part of the BMS curriculum, meaning you are guaranteed a position with any professor that is conducting research and would like a graduate student. A list will be provided by Dr. McCann sometime in the middle of the Fall semester. As for the tuition scholarship, that will only cover courses directly pertaining to you being in the lab or to research. The classroom courses that you will take, which will be the 15 credit hours in the Fall and the one 5-hr. course in the spring, will not be covered and will have to be paid by you via loans, etc.

I hope I was able to clarify any questions you had. Feel free to ask me anything else!!

Also, I am still looking for a female roommate for the upcoming school year. :) And I am also willing to help anyone with finding a place to stay while in the PCS/BMS program as well.

Indeed, the BMS program is significantly smaller than the PCS. Last year, I believe only 7 students were accepted. The fellowship, or the research (physically in the lab) portion, is a part of the BMS curriculum, meaning you are guaranteed a position with any professor that is conducting research and would like a graduate student. A list will be provided by Dr. McCann sometime in the middle of the Fall semester. As for the tuition scholarship, that will only cover courses directly pertaining to you being in the lab or to research. The classroom courses that you will take, which will be the 15 credit hours in the Fall and the one 5-hr. course in the spring, will not be covered and will have to be paid by you via loans, etc.

I hope I was able to clarify any questions you had. Feel free to ask me anything else!!

Also, I am still looking for a female roommate for the upcoming school year. :) And I am also willing to help anyone with finding a place to stay while in the PCS/BMS program as well.

I messages you about being roommates or just help in finding a place

I had a minute to search around for a few apts. near campus today and unfortunately what I saw left me a little underwhelmed. Do most student's generally live in the downtown area or is it more usual to find a place on the outskirts of town? Any particular areas that stand out?

I had a minute to search around for a few apts. near campus today and unfortunately what I saw left me a little underwhelmed. Do most student's generally live in the downtown area or is it more usual to find a place on the outskirts of town? Any particular areas that stand out?
Did you check out Ansley Village

I personally thought the places that were on the nicer side in downtown were a bit pricey for me as a graduate student. So I ended up with a place on the outskirts of town that were within 10-15 min commute on a normal day during the times I would have class. Also, I had to do some research on the crime level via Google of the areas surrounding Mercer b/c there are a lot of run down/sketchy neighborhoods in close proximity to Mercer.

The places that I particularly liked and were in my top 3 were: Thomaston Crossing, Pavilion at Plantation Way, and Rivoli Run. These seemed student friendly and were pretty nice for the price.

I would suggest looking into reviews for some of these places too to narrow down the list.

Did you check out Ansley Village

Based on what I just saw on Google, Ansley Village got a 2.1 out of 5 stars with 31 reviews.

Reactions: 1 users

I did have a lot of classmates that did live in downtown or in the lofts (thru Mercer). The lofts were REALLY expensive in my opinion but the ones downtown varied.

Does anyone know of any furnished apartments in macon

Does anyone know how financial aid is working

Does anyone know how financial aid is working

On the first day of orientation, they will explain it to you. In the first couple of weeks, you will have to fill out some loan stuff online in order for you to take out loans. Also, this might mean that those funds won't be distributed until a couple of weeks into the program I think. I can't remember. I hope this helps somewhat.

Anyone still waiting on admissions? Still haven't heard anything yet.

But what if there isnt enough money? WIll they ensure that everyone's fees is covered? I would personally like to have things covered before starting school.
Your financial aid should cover all of your school expenses. However, this is dependent on what loans you get through FAFSA. Some are the grad plus loans and some are other categories. You will have the option to select how much of each loan you accept. Like it was previously stated, you do not get your loan dispursement until mid-September. Note that your classes will have begun. You start and don't stop until the end of the semester. Your loans will not have come in yet, but you will need to have textbooks. The library has books you can check out for 4 hours and then renew; however, the set is limited for each class. I highly recommend just paying out of pocket for your books. Also, the late dispursement means you will have about two-three weeks where you need to pay for food/rent/gas on your own. Tuition will already be covered and the financial aid office handles that. In addition, Mercer takes out $3,000 dollars from the total amount you accepted immediately. This is to try and help you out. You are able to write to the financial aid office at any time and request the extra money. In regards to cost of living, the loans should cover you if you select the "max" amount or close to. However, this doesn't mean you should live as though you have an endless supply of money. The loans are dispursed fall and spring semester and my best advice to you is budget, budget, budget! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Is the dress code as strict as it seems in the handbook?

Is the dress code as strict as it seems in the handbook?
I don't remember there being a dress code for us in general. Most of us would wear jeans and a t-shirt to nike shorts and t-shirts to class. This might be a new change to the program this year...because I don't remember there being one last year!

Sine this thread seems to get referred to annually, and since people have been asking about housing, I thought I would share a tip I was given that might benefit a few people:

Two, actually both with regards to housing:
There is a Presbyterian Ministry called Strong Tower located on the edge of the at risk "green belt" of Macon. One of the members there apparently owns a number of properties and is frequently looking for people to rent them, considerations can include things like willingness to be an example in the community (SNMA members should definately look into it as is one of our distinctives anyway)

There is a coffee shop called Taste and See, also of an evangelical and socio-cultural bent that rumour has it lists a few privately owned properties that are, again, looking for people willing to live in underserved, low income neighbourhoods and reach out into the community.

So, if you are of a religious bent and willing to trade community work for consideration of partial rent, these are places you might want to look.

Hey all! For anyone who has done the program whether it be the MS BMS or the Preclinical Sciences program. Can you tell me how was it for you? What are your overall thoughts of the school and program? What are your critiques? Would you recommend it? Please feel free to PM me as well.

It might help folks if they knew why you wanted to apply. Personally I am applying because I want to continue research and I need to verify my present therapies are working before committing to Medical School.

The rates of students going on to either medical school our further research seem to be in the high 80's so if that is your intention, you need to show you can do the workabd are a GA resident, then I strongly encourage you to apply.

They highly reccomend that you tske the GRE rather than the MCAT though, the expectation is that after a year in the program you will take the MCAT, regardless of which one you choose. Note that will result in a gap year if you do the 1 yr program.

Also note, it is not an elevator program to Mercer.

It might help folks if they knew why you wanted to apply. Personally I am applying because I want to continue research and I need to verify my present therapies are working before committing to Medical School.

The rates of students going on to either medical school our further research seem to be in the high 80's so if that is your intention, you need to show you can do the workabd are a GA resident, then I strongly encourage you to apply.

They highly reccomend that you tske the GRE rather than the MCAT though, the expectation is that after a year in the program you will take the MCAT, regardless of which one you choose. Note that will result in a gap year if you do the 1 yr program.

Also note, it is not an elevator program to Mercer.
Gotcha. So for me I want to get into an MD school and do an MD or MD/PhD program. I'm a out of state student. But the curriculum looks pretty comprehensive. I would like to do the coursework in that second semester like the MS of Preclinical Science students do but also do the research component. I'm not sure if they do that. But my aim is to raise my GPA. But of course to get into an MD/PhD program I need significant research experience. I applied for the Biomedical Sciences program though. My file was completed as of today.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

Gotcha. So for me I want to get into an MD school and do an MD or MD/PhD program. I'm a out of state student. But the curriculum looks pretty comprehensive. I would like to do the coursework in that second semester like the MS of Preclinical Science students do but also do the research component. I'm not sure if they do that. But my aim is to raise my GPA. But of course to get into an MD/PhD program I need significant research experience. I applied for the Biomedical Sciences program though. My file was completed as of today.

Unfortunately you can't really do both the research and the scholastics. Also of note, Mercer is highly biased, and I think reasonably so, towards people that can show roots here in Georgia and who want to stay in Georgia. The idea is to produce doctors and researchers who will stay in Georgia to effect changes in Georgia. If you can show that you are going to stay in Georgia, then let them know. If you cannot, you might be better off trying for a place that is less state specific.

You might also consider not doing an MD/PhD and instad doing the research, getting a PhD and then if you still want to practice doing the MD part.

Personally, research is kind of my life right now. I run a lab in Augusta at the university there researching a targeted drug delivery method, and that is not even my real research desire. Mine is applied and statistical epigenetics in disease morphology and progression, but good luck finding that as a research topic at the undergrad level. I got "lucky" with the drug delivery and have a great research advisor that has given me near free reign and conscripted me a minion or two. Even so, I hope to be able to finish the first part before moving to Mercer, if not maybe I can find someone who wants to continue my work, though that is the opposite of how it is supposed to work. We go there and extend someone elses research, not our own. Oh well I am rambling.

Oh I will say one other thing. Looking at your profile, I suspect you will appreciate the string demographic bias they seem to show. That is my way of saying, every time I have gone to a function, I was the only guy and all the ladies ... well, none hurt my eyes to behold if you get my meaning.

Unfortunately you can't really do both the research and the scholastics. Also of note, Mercer is highly biased, and I think reasonably so, towards people that can show roots here in Georgia and who want to stay in Georgia. The idea is to produce doctors and researchers who will stay in Georgia to effect changes in Georgia. If you can show that you are going to stay in Georgia, then let them know. If you cannot, you might be better off trying for a place that is less state specific.

You might also consider not doing an MD/PhD and instad doing the research, getting a PhD and then if you still want to practice doing the MD part.

Personally, research is kind of my life right now. I run a lab in Augusta at the university there researching a targeted drug delivery method, and that is not even my real research desire. Mine is applied and statistical epigenetics in disease morphology and progression, but good luck finding that as a research topic at the undergrad level. I got "lucky" with the drug delivery and have a great research advisor that has given me near free reign and conscripted me a minion or two. Even so, I hope to be able to finish the first part before moving to Mercer, if not maybe I can find someone who wants to continue my work, though that is the opposite of how it is supposed to work. We go there and extend someone elses research, not our own. Oh well I am rambling.

Oh I will say one other thing. Looking at your profile, I suspect you will appreciate the string demographic bias they seem to show. That is my way of saying, every time I have gone to a function, I was the only guy and all the ladies ... well, none hurt my eyes to behold if you get my meaning.
Ok so you are applying for this incoming class then? Which Program?