Metrohealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halflife94

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed here and really liked it. I was wondering what other people's impressions were on the trail?

Members don't see this ad.

You will definitely be ready for anything after training there. Metro residents, attendings, and staff are some of the friendliest in Cleveland. Your patient pop. will be very appreciative. Very small, close-knit program. The residents that I have worked with from that program were all very nice and helpful.

Hope that helps!

I interviewed here and really liked it. I was wondering what other people's impressions were on the trail?

I am a current resident at Metro. PM me if you have any specific questions.

We definitely have many strengths but also a few weaknesses though this could be said about any program. We have wonderful attendings to work with. They are mostly pro-resident and treat us well. I get along with many of the surgeons ... sure, some of them are "malignant," but our worst ones are nothing compared to what I have seen at other institutions.

Work hours can be heavy at times and some of us approach the 80 hour/week limit for the month (typically limited to hearts and ICU). During the summer trauma months, the OR schedule can be pretty rough. The nice thing is that as you progress, you leave earlier since we go home based on the late list everyday, with CA-1's always at the top and on down to CA-3's. Most CA-3's are out by 3 pm but sometimes have to stick around and do senior level cases if the CA-1s cannot handle that. CA-2's do a lot of rotations outside the hospital and have regular work hours. CA-1's can leave as early as 3:30ish to as late as 9:00 or so. I'd say on average, close to the top of the late list you should expect to leave between 5-7. I've actually left around 4:00 as #1 on the late list several times though.

We are the only level I trauma in the city and have one of the busiest LifeFlight helicopters in the nation. CA-1s also get their fair share of ASA 4 and 5 cases. We have computerized charting which is great.

Most of us get along well with the AA's and CRNA's here. There is a cordial working environment. Most of the OR nurses are great to work with as well.

As a smaller program with 21 residents, we get along well. Alot of us hangout during our free time.

Overall, this is a solid training program. Our trauma and OB experience are probably some of the best. We don't compete with fellows for procedures. It seems we are doing more and more regional and blocks.

Hope that helps some.