MFT or Mental Health Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilitaryWife76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are asking about which program works best for your interests them can you please tell us what your interests are in MFT and MHC? MFT is geared towards a more family systems approach and does alot of therapy geared towards helping couples and families deal with certain problems. MHC works more with people suffering from mental illnesses such as depression and most likely work in mental health clinics.

It depends on your state and what you want to do. Most states will limit a LMFT in practicing ONLY marriage/family therapy, as I think it should, as most states have their license. I do not believe that a LMFT is appropriately trained to practice as a licensed counselor, outside of MFT. One option I would look into is complete a masters in mental health counseling and do an emphasis in MFT, this will prepare you for licensing in MFT and counseling OR I would do the masters in MHC and do a certificate in MFT.