MGH or NAU? Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptapplic2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm trying to decide between Mass. General and Northern Arizona University. I'm looking for some opinions. The tuition at Mass General will about 95000 for the entire program. I will pay in-state tuition at NAU so total tuition will be 24,000. MGH is ranked higher (I know rankings don't matter that much) and is definitely more recognizable. On the other hand NAU is a really solid program and way less expensive. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

NAU. They really DO have a solid program and if you get to pay in-state tuition, what more do you want?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do agree with the above statements as NAU is a solid and much cheaper education; however, to play devils advocate, MGH is obviously part of an amazing teaching hospital allowing for potentially amazing resources that NAU can't offer within it's curriculum. It's also in an amazing college town (albeit with a much higher cost of living). On the surface, it seems a no-brainer to go to NAU. However, if the above appeals to you, then MGH might be a better choice.

I agree not to pick NAU just because you'll be paying less. I'm debating about Northwestern and UIC just because UIC is cheaper. But I like Northwestern so much better and feel I can experience more from them. So, I would make some sort of pros/cons list for both schools, compare the two that way, and see which one has more pros. Good luck!

Thanks very much to all of you for your input. I feel lucky that I have this decision to make but it is really hard to account for all of the variables. I know that NAU has a really good program. If they didn't, I wouldn't even consider going there just for cheap tuition.

What are your thoughts on location? I sort of think that I will be so busy (and poor!) that I won't have the opportunity to take advantage of what Boston has to offer. Flagstaff is a small town that is very laid back, however there are a lot of opportunities for outdoor activities (which I enjoy).

Thanks again and I hope everyone else is having an easier time making their decision! :)

Flagstaff is the definition of a college town. There are many, many pubs in town dominated by a younger crowd. If you like hiking, snowboarding, and just the mountain air then you wont be disappointed. You are only a few hours from Vegas and Phoenix for weekend trips with your classmates if you so choose.

Oh yeah, you gotta be ready to shovel some snow! But that will be in either place...

I have never been to Boston so I cannot comment on it.

I agree that Flagstaff is a College town...until you've been to a place like Boston in which there are like 10 million major colleges within a square mile. JK, Little over exaggeration there. It's a big city college town with tons of history, while Flagstaff is a small city college town. You should have time to enjoy Boston, just like you would have time to enjoy Flagstaff (I definitely was able to enjoy NYC during PT school amidst all the studying). Boston is close enough to the Vermont resorts and the east coast "hills" so if you like to hike and ski, then I think it's a wash. You also have the ocean, the beautiful northeast autumn, a lot of cultural diversity, and are close to anywhere via a major airport. In Flagstaff, you would have to drive then fly, but you do have vegas, the Grand Canyon, etc. Now as for school, again, when I think of the opportunity to study at a hospital such as Mass General, I'm sold. However, when I think about tuition, then I'm sold on Flagstaff.

Did you visit both schools during interviews?

I attend NAU ! I lovee it! You can PM me if you have any questions about the school.

I guess it depends what 70,000 dollars is worth to you...

1) House
2) Car
3) affording a child
4) affording a wedding
5) affording that 5" extra on that new flat screen TV you want...

I can think of more examples but I don't think I need to. Debt is a reality and believe me... it sux. Just think about it long and hard cause you'll be paying back those loans for a looooong time... and would you rather pay $200 a month for 30 years or $800 a month? What could you do with $600 a month?

When I was a PT student rotating at Columbia in NY, I worked with Columbia, NYU and Hunter (community college) students... hands down Hunter's were the best students. Not to say NYU or Columbia don't have amazing programs... but it's not about the program... it's about the student and hard you are willing to work to be good at what you do. An extra $70,000 doesn't make you work harder, but it sure stresses you out more.