MHA interested in International Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMHA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am a first year MHA candidate at UNC Chapel Hill with a keen interest in International Health.
I am an international student from India and I am currently looking for internship opportunities with an international focus, not only because of my interests, but because any firm with an international focus will more open to hiring students of other nationalities ( I guess.)
Recently, I was in talks with the RTI International Office in India, and they have offered me an internship in Business Development. I think its really great, since I thought that as an MHA it would be harder for me to break into international health, and RTI is an international organization with strong roots in the US and I get to work in a developing country ( which I think is a bonus for international health?) which happens to be my own country!
My only apprehension with this is if by any chance, opportunities in the US will diminish since I wont have work experience in the US?
I am very open to returning to India ; but I just want to keep my options open at this stage.
I think the RTI brand is great and will look wonderful on my resume.
Just want to figure out from you guys if there are any disadvantages associated with my current plan at all.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I am a first year MHA candidate at UNC Chapel Hill with a keen interest in International Health.
I am an international student from India and I am currently looking for internship opportunities with an international focus, not only because of my interests, but because any firm with an international focus will more open to hiring students of other nationalities ( I guess.)
Recently, I was in talks with the RTI International Office in India, and they have offered me an internship in Business Development. I think its really great, since I thought that as an MHA it would be harder for me to break into international health, and RTI is an international organization with strong roots in the US and I get to work in a developing country ( which I think is a bonus for international health?) which happens to be my own country!
My only apprehension with this is if by any chance, opportunities in the US will diminish since I wont have work experience in the US?
I am very open to returning to India ; but I just want to keep my options open at this stage.
I think the RTI brand is great and will look wonderful on my resume.
Just want to figure out from you guys if there are any disadvantages associated with my current plan at all.

Thanks!

Obviously, if you want to do epidemiological work for the CDC, then having just business experience in India might not be as helpful as, say, working for somebody doing that type of work in India. If the work for RTI doesn't have much to do with health/healthcare, then it might not help you move in that direction, don't feel that because you have an MHA versus and MPH that you need to be "true to your degree", do what you want to do. As you already go to UNC, I would network with faculty and ask about switching the MPH program maybe, or perhaps adding on some international health electives and pursuing this focus post-graduation.

I guess I wasn't very clear.
I want to work in / manage the business/ operations or finance departments of an international health firm or work in global health management consulting.
That won't need the MPH I presume?

Hi HopefulMHA,

Finally where did you land ?

Just asking out of curiosity. Am also from India and will be applying to MHA Fall 2015.

Can you tell me about placements of international students in UNC ?

Getting a consultant job easier for Intl student ?