Michigan Calling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just Bob

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received my acceptance letter from Ferris State in Michigan. Still waiting to hear from Wayne State. Interviewing with U of Michigan next week.

Pressure is off. :D

Members don't see this ad.

It is rather amazing how your whole outlook on life changes after you get your first acceptance letter. Congratulations!

Just Bob said:
Just received my acceptance letter from Ferris State in Michigan. Still waiting to hear from Wayne State. Interviewing with U of Michigan next week.

I would put the deposit at Ferris, consider scrapping Wayne (in Downtown Detroit), and wait to see how UofM pans out. I'm a Michigan Native of 20 years with family who attended all three Michigan schools (and more). UofM is the most well-known for sure, but Ferris has a solid program with a cheaper cost of living and the option to accelerate (3.5 years). Consider wayne if you're looking at a combined program (I.E. J.D./Pharm.D.) ..IMHO...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just Bob said:
Interviewing with U of Michigan next week.

Is UM-COP started to interview applicants, this year?

npp71681 said:
Is UM-COP started to interview applicants, this year?

I didn't have an interview, but my guess is that there are only a few seats left, and they want to get a little extra info on the remaining applicants in order to make a decision.

Just Bob, GOOD LUCK!!! Hope to see you there.

jdpharmd? said:
I would put the deposit at Ferris, consider scrapping Wayne (in Downtown Detroit), and wait to see how UofM pans out. I'm a Michigan Native of 20 years with family who attended all three Michigan schools (and more). UofM is the most well-known for sure, but Ferris has a solid program with a cheaper cost of living and the option to accelerate (3.5 years). Consider wayne if you're looking at a combined program (I.E. J.D./Pharm.D.) ..IMHO...

Having graduated from Michigan - Ann Arbor in April 2001 and now attending Wayne State to complete my pre-pharmacy prerequisites, I wouldn't rule out attending the latter because of any stigma attached to "Downtown Detroit". The city isn't as horrid as outsiders perceive and Wayne State's pharmacy program is excellent.

Hey, just for future students thinking of attending Wayne State PharmD program or in the process of applying. It's a good program and have changed their curriculum in the past year and it's very competitve.
check their new website.
http://pharmacy.wayne.edu/web/program/

People say do not go to Wayne State because it's in Downtown Detroit. The medical center campus (where the pharmacy building is located) is very safe.

Also, check out the new building. It's awesome!!!

Spartan676 said:
Hey, just for future students thinking of attending Wayne State PharmD program or in the process of applying. It's a good program and have changed their curriculum in the past year and it's very competitve.
check their new website.

People say do not go to Wayne State because it's in Downtown Detroit. The medical center campus (where the pharmacy building is located) is very safe.

I have the acceptance letter from Wayne State already. It is my first choice and I am so happy. I have visited the new building, it is really gorgeous. Everything are brand new. :D :D :D

Spartan676 said:
check their new website.

I have the acceptance letter from Wayne State already. It is my first choice and I am so happy. I have visited the new building, it is really gorgeous. Everything are brand new. :D :D :D

forever27 said:

When did you hear from Wayne??

Spartan676 said:
check their new website.

How would you compare Wayne vs UofM? (I like wayne, but I know students who had their car stolen the FIRST day that they moved in). My father completed his Ph.D. from Wayne.. my mom did her undergrad at UofM, I went to both MSU and Ferris...

Also, I know that Wayne had a problem transitioning from the BS Pharm to the all PharmD curriculum. They had a reputation as being very confrontational with their students, and disorganized. This was perhaps 3 years ago, but just because it's a new building and a new program doesn't automatically make it better than an established older program. When I lived in Michigan, I had the oppertunity to work with many different pharmacists. Two that stand out in my mind went to wayne, and both said the same thing "Go anywhere but Wayne for pharmacy". They would have graduated in about 98/99, so this info is a bit dated, but it sticks in my mind to this day.

I've never heard a complaint from Ferris, and UofM is both in a wonderful city and a high profile research/medical university with a teaching hospital and flawless reputation.

jdpharmd? said:
How would you compare Wayne vs UofM? (I like wayne, but I know students who had their car stolen the FIRST day that they moved in). My father completed his Ph.D. from Wayne.. my mom did her undergrad at UofM, I went to both MSU and Ferris...

Also, I know that Wayne had a problem transitioning from the BS Pharm to the all PharmD curriculum. They had a reputation as being very confrontational with their students, and disorganized. This was perhaps 3 years ago, but just because it's a new building and a new program doesn't automatically make it better than an established older program. When I lived in Michigan, I had the oppertunity to work with many different pharmacists. Two that stand out in my mind went to wayne, and both said the same thing "Go anywhere but Wayne for pharmacy". They would have graduated in about 98/99, so this info is a bit dated, but it sticks in my mind to this day.
I've never heard a complaint from Ferris, and UofM is both in a wonderful city and a high profile research/medical university with a teaching hospital and flawless reputation.

Hey, what's up! yeah, I do agree with you that Wayne State had a lot of problems in the past (failing a lot of people, confrontation between faculty and students, etc.)
But moving the department to a new building has definitely changed the attitude of the faculty and the dean. I just completed my first year and I can tell you that the faculty and the dean are more motivated to improve the image of their program. My class is the first to go through their new restructured curriculum. It's still in the experimentation process and my class are the guinea pigs! The faculty are more open to work with students in improving the program.
It will definitely take a couple of years to get this program to the level of programs like UofM and ferris, and from my experience the program is headed in the right direction.
In regards to cars getting stolen, if you park on the street (on Mack and Cass) your car will likely get stolen. There is a huge parking structure right across from the building. It's safe there!

Spartan676

P.S. - I am a Michigan State alumni too. One problem at Wayne State....too many UofM fans! GO GREEN....GO WHITE!

Just Bob said:
When did you hear from Wayne??

It was on April 28th. I had not heared anything before I received the acceptance letter. I called them one day before and was told that they sent out about 50 acceptance letters at that point and they will continue to send letters in the following weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spartan676 said:
H
In regards to cars getting stolen, if you park on the street (on Mack and Cass) your car will likely get stolen. There is a huge parking structure right across from the building. It's safe there!

P.S. - I am a Michigan State alumni too. One problem at Wayne State....too many UofM fans! GO GREEN....GO WHITE!
It's ok.. we get our cars stolen all the time here too. (Phoenix, #2 in car theft.. down from #1 this year!!).

Glad to hear that Wayne is much improved! Good luck! Hang in there!

Go Green!
(PS. Have you seen the new tailgaiting/Alcohol laws for MSU? PM me to continue this...)

Hi there,
I am number 221 on the wait list for Ferris, so PLEASE go to Wayne or U of M!! :) out out of curiosity, what were your GPA and PCAT scores like? I've got a 3.5 and an 86 composite on the PCAT. I am pretty frustrated with how little of a chance I have of being part of the class of 2009.

pharmmom said:
Hi there,
I am number 221 on the wait list for Ferris, so PLEASE go to Wayne or U of M!! :) out out of curiosity, what were your GPA and PCAT scores like? I've got a 3.5 and an 86 composite on the PCAT. I am pretty frustrated with how little of a chance I have of being part of the class of 2009.

Hi:

Good Luck with Ferris. I'm not feeling too good about Wayne if 50 letters went out last week and I didn't get one! My PCAT was 96 and GPR 3.7, 3.9 in pre-reqs.

WOW! You are a smartypants!
Well, congratulations and good luck with which ever school you choose (cough cough not Ferris ;) )

Just Bob said:
Hi:

Good Luck with Ferris. I'm not feeling too good about Wayne if 50 letters went out last week and I didn't get one! My PCAT was 96 and GPR 3.7, 3.9 in pre-reqs.

I believe you definitely can get one. Look at your excellent scores. Are you a Wayne student now? or where did you have you pre-reqs?

I'm going to be graduating from Michigan State in a few days. I've been accepted to both Ferris and Wayne. I'm having trouble deciding between the 2 schools. Any advice??
;)

Hi there,

I got accepted to Ferris State University College of Pharmacy for this Fall. Anyone's going to Ferris??? Please tell me about that school....i have never been there before, but through the web.....may be I will know the school better through you guys.....thank you .....

UM?

Anybody going to UM this fall? Or anyone that currently goes there?

Got my acceptance to UM CoP on Saturday !!!!!

It is conditional on taking a more intensive Micro course but I start that tomorrow at UM Dearborn (Michigan) so I consider this a lock, but will keep my Ferris option open until the course is over.

It all really happened last Wed. by email when UM asked me to self-report my grades for this last semester. Two hours later they emailed me my acceptance :D

So it looks like one spot will free up at Ferris, still no word from Wayne.

By the way, all my course work was at the local community college (Mott).

Just Bob said:
Got my acceptance to UM CoP on Saturday !!!!!

It is conditional on taking a more intensive Micro course but I start that tomorrow at UM Dearborn (Michigan) so I consider this a lock, but will keep my Ferris option open until the course is over.

Congrats!!!
I guess I'll be seeing you there!

Any girls looking for a roommate at Ferris for 2005-2006? Let me know :)