Michigan Resident School List, Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femmegoblue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.19 uGPA U of Michigan, 3.9 GPA @ Wayne State BMS program (all core science), 502 MCAT

Applying almost all DO except for my IS MD's. I left off all the schools I have gleaned are very regionally selective, as well as coastal Touro's and CCOM. Very strong desire for primary care/underserved/rural med.

ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
AZCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
LECOM
LECOM-B
MSUCOM
NSU-COM
PCOM
PCOM-GA
VCOM all three
Western U COMP
ACOM
CUSOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
WCUCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
Touro-Nevada
New Arkansas COM

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Western U Comp had an %81 IS bias for the class of 2019, plus it's highly competitive because Cali lol. If you left out CCOM then AZCOM should be taken out too, they both love high MCAT scores (508+). I also think that PCOM-GA is regionally selective, primarily GA and southern states.

Western U Comp had an %81 IS bias for the class of 2019, plus it's highly competitive because Cali lol. If you left out CCOM then AZCOM should be taken out too, they both love high MCAT scores (508+). I also think that PCOM-GA is regionally selective, primarily GA and southern states.
Thank you for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
While I know I am in no position to be choosy, a for profit school doesn't sit well with me.
May I ask why? I am not trying to defend or argue in any perspective, but i am just curious as to what is bad about being for-profit.

@OrdinaryDO Well, usually for profit schools are a lot less regulated in where their money goes and the salaries of their administration often go unchecked. Also, I guess I want to be sure that any excess money the school has is going back into the school, its curriculum, facilities and its students, not its investors. Obviously they can turn out high quality physicians, but it's more of a personal/moral thing. Who knows, I may end up throwing BCOM and RVU anyway.

@OrdinaryDO Well, usually for profit schools are a lot less regulated in where their money goes and the salaries of their administration often go unchecked. Also, I guess I want to be sure that any excess money the school has is going back into the school, its curriculum, facilities and its students, not its investors. Obviously they can turn out high quality physicians, but it's more of a personal/moral thing. Who knows, I may end up throwing BCOM and RVU anyway.
That can definitely be true if the school handles it like that, but for the most part I believe as long as the tuition isn't sky high and the education is good then I am okay wherever the money goes. But, it's whatever makes you happy! :)

Make an admissions appointment with a counselor at MSUCOM (it is really helpful) and apply early!

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

That can definitely be true if the school handles it like that, but for the most part I believe as long as the tuition isn't sky high and the education is good then I am okay wherever the money goes. But, it's whatever makes you happy! :)

All tuitions are sky high nowadays

All tuitions are sky high nowadays
Depends where you go. I would agree with saying the majority is, but not all, at least not when I compare to other medical schools lol.

Make an admissions appointment with a counselor at MSUCOM (it is really helpful) and apply early!

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile
I have been speaking with Anne a lot, it's super helpful! It's my dream school for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
I would apply to BCOM just in case.

Last edited:
Depends where you go. I would agree with saying the majority is, but not all, at least not when I compare to other medical schools lol.

No everywhere. My mentor went to ucsf for $1500 a semester

No everywhere. My mentor went to ucsf for $1500 a semester
You have to be more reasonable than that - the average semester without financial assistance is between $3000-6000 at my state school for undergrad.