Michigan State C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone declare interest in the dual degree on their application???

I never received any follow up info after submitting my VMCAS. I know from their website that we can’t submit the PhD application until we’ve been offered an interview….but the PhD app is due Jan 31 and we haven’t heard about interviews yet.

Just wanting to make sure I’m not missing a step!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone declare interest in the dual degree on their application???

I never received any follow up info after submitting my VMCAS. I know from their website that we can’t submit the PhD application until we’ve been offered an interview….but the PhD app is due Jan 31 and we haven’t heard about interviews yet.

Just wanting to make sure I’m not missing a step!
I also expressed interest in the dual degree! From what I understood, we would not even be given the application to apply unless we were offered an interview. So... If you're missing a step so am I haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if MSU wants fall 2023 transcripts? I’ve tried looking up whether they want them on their website and haven’t found anything.

Does anyone know if MSU wants fall 2023 transcripts? I’ve tried looking up whether they want them on their website and haven’t found anything.
No, if you are admitted and have non-science pre-requisites pending they will request those from you at that time!

Last edited:
I also expressed interest in the dual degree! From what I understood, we would not even be given the application to apply unless we were offered an interview. So... If you're missing a step so am I haha.
Okay good, glad it’s not just me! Do you have a better idea of how the process works? Since there’s a second interview for the PhD, will they let us know if we were accepted into the DVM program first, or will they wait until a decision is made for the dual degree? I’m more worried about a potential PhD interview than the DVM, so I’m concerned I’d blow it and then get rejected from both.

Okay good, glad it’s not just me! Do you have a better idea of how the process works? Since there’s a second interview for the PhD, will they let us know if we were accepted into the DVM program first, or will they wait until a decision is made for the dual degree? I’m more worried about a potential PhD interview than the DVM, so I’m concerned I’d blow it and then get rejected from both.
I honestly don't know haha. From what I understand, dual degree programs usually evaluate your applications separately (at least at my IS school, I'm not certain about Michigan). So you could be admitted DVM but not PhD.

After sending in all of the course information on 12/19 for my unrecognized science prereqs, I received an update yesterday that my application was pushed through to file review.

Reactions: 2 users
After sending in all of the course information on 12/19 for my unrecognized science prereqs, I received an update yesterday that my application was pushed through to file review.
Vaguely stressed over not getting this yet even though my course is in the database now but I guess they're probably going one by one

• Wow

I am a current dual student in my first year (applied last cycle) feel free to reach out!

Received interview invite on 12-12-23 (IS)
I was just notified that it is scheduled for end of month!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got rejected from Penn so now I only have Michigan and Iowa to hear from and no acceptances. Anyone think we’ll hear from Michigan this week? They seem to be a fan of the Friday night emails… so perhaps then?

Last edited:
Just got rejected from Penn so now I only have Michigan and Iowa to hear from and no acceptances. Anyone think we’ll hear from Michigan this week? They seem to be a fan of the Friday night emails… so perhaps then?
That would honestly be great

Also I just checked my email and all my updates from them so far have been Monday, Monday, Tuesday

I wonder if they're going to release OOS file review decisions before they look through all the applicants who had pre-req issues. I feel like probably. Still haven't heard anything from them idk if I should just consider this a definite rejection

I wonder if they're going to release OOS file review decisions before they look through all the applicants who had pre-req issues. I feel like probably. Still haven't heard anything from them idk if I should just consider this a definite rejection
Fingers crossed that gets sorted asap and then we will hear about interviews next week?!

I wouldn't count yourself out yet, their timeline was all over the place last year. I'm really hoping that it'll be more organized this year than what I saw in the last thread, some of the people who had initial errors made and apps returned to the pool didn't hear back till around the decision deadline

Fingers crossed that gets sorted asap and then we will hear about interviews next week?!
I hope so! Next week is the last full week of January! Fortunately I didn’t have issues with my prerequisites, but I do plan on submitting a dual degree app so it’s making me nervous we haven’t heard anything yet!

Hey!
Just wondering, will we be sent a response regardless of decision? Like do they let you know if you are denied?

Yes, every school will send you a denial email letter if they deny you!
Haha LIU didn’t last year! They sent a mass email with information about the interviews and it said something like “if you didn’t get asked to interview you are no longer being considered” I thought it was so disrespectful I didn’t apply this year. They couldn’t even be bothered to send an actual rejection email lol

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Haha LIU didn’t last year! They sent a mass email with information about the interviews and it said something like “if you didn’t get asked to interview you are no longer being considered” I thought it was so disrespectful I didn’t apply this year. They couldn’t even be bothered to send an actual rejection email lol
That is so odd!! I have never heard of that!!

I got a notice saying I didn’t have the general biology and biochemistry 1 requirements. I was a bio major and had 9 biochem credits?!?! Does anyone know if they would look over my application if I contacted them?! I’m freaking out because I know I have the prerequisites
Received an update email on this. Admissions reviewed the courses I sent in and said I didn’t meet bio1 but met biochem prerequisites. I’m bouta go crazy rn. I left a very shaken voicemail asking them to review my transcript again because I had AP bio credits on my transcript but they’ve probably had enough of me bugging them

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Received an update email on this. Admissions reviewed the courses I sent in and said I didn’t meet bio1 but met biochem prerequisites. I’m bouta go crazy rn. I left a very shaken voicemail asking them to review my transcript again because I had AP bio credits on my transcript but they’ve probably had enough of me bugging them

What’d you get on AP bio?

Ig im kinda dumb for not sending that first but there’s no equivalent course with a description at my school so I didn’t think I could submit it in the survey

That is pretty disrespectful.

Ig im kinda dumb for not sending that first but there’s no equivalent course with a description at my school so I didn’t think I could submit it in the survey
I'm in a similar boat. I used two of my biology courses that were part of a 2-course series, thinking they would surely fulfill Bio I and Bio II. They denied my Biol II course after I submitted the survey. They also explained more about what courses would cover it and what kind of class they were looking for (diversity/evolution). I emailed and asked if they would consider a different biology course I took that fits the description and I filled out the survey again. I'm not hopeful but definitely worth asking them about. Just waiting for a reply now.

• Care
Did you both receive prereq updates today? I filled out the survey 12/22 so I’m mildly concerned re: not hearing back yet

Did you both receive prereq updates today? I filled out the survey 12/22 so I’m mildly concerned re: not hearing back yet
I got an email about it today around 4:30 pm EST but it was from someone in the financial aid office not admissions which is weird. I hope you get that email soon esp since they updated the prereq list! I looked at my school and they didn’t add my biochem courses.

Yeah I used my AP bio 5 for comping bio 1 and bio 2 and had no issues so I would definitely fight that.
It worked!!!

I got an email just now from the financial aid person (who must be on the admissions team) saying they reviewed my app again and I met the requirement. A separate MSU email about moving to file review came in. They’re still saying interview invites will be sent by the end of Jan.

Last edited:
  • Care
IT WORKED LFG!!!!!

I got an email just now from the financial aid person (who must be on the admissions team) saying they reviewed my app again and I met the requirement. A separate MSU email about moving to file review came in. They’re still saying interview invites will be sent by the end of Jan.
NICE I'm glad it worked out for you!! Kind of wild that they made two separate mistakes even after re-reviewing though

NICE I'm glad it worked out for you!! Kind of wild that they made two separate mistakes even after re-reviewing though
Definitely weird but I get the impression their team gets overwhelmed so ig I understand they didn’t look too thoroughly at my other courses. Really hope they get to you next!

Officially made it to file review! I think they just forgot to email me, I asked and they were like oh yeah you already were lol

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I'm in a similar boat. I used two of my biology courses that were part of a 2-course series, thinking they would surely fulfill Bio I and Bio II. They denied my Biol II course after I submitted the survey. They also explained more about what courses would cover it and what kind of class they were looking for (diversity/evolution). I emailed and asked if they would consider a different biology course I took that fits the description and I filled out the survey again. I'm not hopeful but definitely worth asking them about. Just waiting for a reply now.
I was able to use my AP Biology credit to fulfill the requirements, what a relief! Got the email that I made it to file review.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I’m so glad that it seems like everyone that reached out has gotten good news and is back in review <3

Reactions: 4 users
OOS INTERVIEW INVITE AHHHHHHHH 😍

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Just got on MMI waitlist but am not too bummed about it since I was potentially going to withdraw my application. Hopefully this helps anyone else move up the waitlist!

Last edited:
OOS denied :( Well that sucks after all that but at least it wasn’t a long wait

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
OOS denied. I have two acceptances and interviews at all of my other schools so far so not worried! Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Reactions: 5 users