Mid-tier MD? 3.86cGPA/3.9sGPA/~31 MCAT/ D1 student-athlete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngzeezy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to make some decisions on where to apply...basically want to see how ya'll view my chances for solid MD schools

-3.86cGPA, 3.97sGPA, ~31 MCAT
- +3000 hrs. (so far) D1 student-athlete BIG10
- +100 hrs. volunteering with underprivileged youth
- +60 hrs. shadowing (cardiology, orthopedic, general surgery, cardiothoracic, EP)
- leadership role/mentor in mentor program through athletic department
- +60hrs. paid employment at camp for my sport during summer
- various community service events through team

working on getting some clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be good for MD, but definitely get some clinical experience. By mid-tiers I assume you mean schools like USC, Einstein, Dartmouth etc. - they have MCAT averages of 33-35 so they are reachy, but your athlete status may sway them. I'd focus on schools where your MCAT is close to the median and your state schools. Give us a list to work off of.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be good for MD, but definitely get some clinical experience. By mid-tiers I assume you mean schools like USC, Einstein, Dartmouth etc. - they have MCAT averages of 33-35 so they are reachy, but your athlete status may sway them. I'd focus on schools where your MCAT is close to the median and your state schools. Give us a list to work off of.
Georgetown
George washington
Univ minnesota
Medical college wisconsin
Indiana* - from here
Penn state
U miami
Tufts
Michigan
Ohio state
Univ cinci

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical exposure is an absolute must. I'm assuming that means your an Indiana resident.

If so I'd cut Minnesota, Michigan: 31 MCAT just isn't going to be good enough OOS and Cincinnati is probably stretching things also. Ohio State probably is also too much to ask for OOS as well. Note even the lower tiers you listed aren't the highest yield: GW and Georgetown get a gazzillion apps, Tufts isn't far behind(not to mention the absurd tuition there) and Miami interviews a very small percentage of OOS applicants.

To answer your question the 31 MCAT is low but like others have said the athlete status could potentially be perhaps somewhat of a game-changer to the right ADCOM at the right school. Here are some "mid" tiers you might be able to take a stab at: Rochester, Einstein, USC, Emory(could add Miami here also).

Some other schools to really consider:
VCU
Eastern Virginia
MCW
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind
Oakland
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
Wright State(maybe)
UK and Louisville(big maybe)
Wake Forest
Tulane

State?
Clinical exposure is an absolute must. I'm assuming that means your an Indiana resident.

If so I'd cut Minnesota, Michigan: 31 MCAT just isn't going to be good enough OOS and Cincinnati is probably stretching things also. Ohio State probably is also too much to ask for OOS as well. Note even the lower tiers you listed aren't the highest yield: GW and Georgetown get a gazzillion apps, Tufts isn't far behind(not to mention the absurd tuition there) and Miami interviews a very small percentage of OOS applicants.

To answer your question the 31 MCAT is low but like others have said the athlete status could potentially be perhaps somewhat of a game-changer to the right ADCOM at the right school. Here are some "mid" tiers you might be able to take a stab at: Rochester, Einstein, USC, Emory(could add Miami here also).

Some other schools to really consider:
VCU
Eastern Virginia
MCW
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind
Oakland
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
Wright State(maybe)
UK and Louisville(big maybe)
Wake Forest
Tulane
Emory, USC and Rochester are a real stretch.

@GrapesofRath, I assume you are an applicant in this cycle and not an adcom. From where are you drawing your expertise to be such a predominant figure in suggesting lists?

As for the applicant in this thread, I like the chances for a near 4.0, Big 10 conference D1 athlete.

@GrapesofRath, I assume you are an applicant in this cycle and not an adcom. From where are you drawing your expertise to be such a predominant figure in suggesting lists?

As for the applicant in this thread, I like the chances for a near 4.0, Big 10 conference D1 athlete.
About 31 usually means 30. That puts him below the 10th% for a lot of these schools.

State?

Emory, USC and Rochester are a real stretch.

Very true but if you are going to have a "reach" it's better this than schools like Michigan listed on the OP's initial list.

Very true but if you are going to have a "reach" it's better this than schools like Michigan listed on the OP's initial list.

I guess with a 10th% at 32 you are more right than wrong!
Still, he has a lot of Hail Mary's in my estimation.

You think?
I guess with a 10th% at 32 you are more right than wrong!

Splitting hairs sure but Emory and USC don't have 35 MCAT averages like Michigan. When we are talking a 31 a difference between a 33 MCAT average and 35 matters. If you disagree feel free to chime in your word is the one that matters far more.

That said like I said splitting hairs. Reaches are reaches. OP would be smart to limit them in general.

509 for this year
That's a 30+.
Splitting hairs sure but Emory and USC don't have 35 MCAT averages like Michigan. When we are talking a 31 a difference between a 33 MCAT average and 35 matters. If you disagree feel free to chime in your word is the one that matters far more.

That said like I said splitting hairs. Reaches are reaches. OP would be smart to limit them in general.
I'm pretty sure they do.
Let me check the MSAR...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup, they both have median 35's.
Agree with the bolded.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a 30+.

I'm pretty sure they do.
Let me check the MSAR...

Fair enough. Your general point is correct. They are all stretches. I initially thought Michigan's MCAT average was around the 36 range and Emory/USC/Rochester was around 33-34, hence why I said that. That was without checking MSAR. Looks like it's closer to 35 vs 34.

Settle down slugger

Try reading the rest of the thread also before posting something like this also next time. Big difference between having a good shot at a lower tier med school and middle tier ones where the median MCATs are 4 points above the OP's.

Reactions: 2 users

A veteran has an extra 4-5 MCAT points, an athlete, not so much.

You don't need to be an adcom to have a reasonable idea about how this process works.

Also @gyngyn, are you suggesting that a veteran with a 32 is competitive for Harvard, that a veteran with a 26 is competitive for MD, both, or neither? Assume everything else is satisfactory. Just for my curiosity and future knowledge.

You don't need to be an adcom to have a reasonable idea about how this process works.

Also @gyngyn, are you suggesting that a veteran with a 32 is competitive for Harvard, that a veteran with a 26 is competitive for MD, both, or neither? Assume everything else is satisfactory. Just for my curiosity and future knowledge.
Yes to part one, almost yes to part two.

Yes to part one, almost yes to part two.

Very interesting. Does this apply to anyone who has served in the armed forces or do certain other characteristics have to be met?

Edit: like having served in combat vs reserve or something?

Very interesting. Does this apply to anyone who has served in the armed forces or do certain other characteristics have to be met?

Edit: like having served in combat vs reserve or something?
The greater the responsibility the more highly sought after.
This is more powerful than just about anything.
They have their own box in the primary...

The greater the responsibility the more highly sought after.
This is more powerful than just about anything.
They have their own box in the primary...

Thanks for sharing. I will keep this in mind when posting in WAMC threads.

appreciate that

and everyone else.

Settle down slugger

Try reading the rest of the thread also before posting something like this also next time. Big difference between having a good shot at a lower tier med school and middle tier ones where the median MCATs are 4 points above the OP's.

"Settle down slugger"? Really?

I had read the whole read. I've complimented your advice before, but I think asking about your credentials to be a definitive list-giver when you are presumably in the cycle yourself and awaiting your own acceptance is legit. Do you disagree? Are you a high-tier applicant? If so, does being a high-tier applicant imbue with special knowledge to be one of the leaders in list offerings?

@gyngyn, you're presumption of a 30+ instead of a 31 was spot on. I missed that. One question....if vets get 4-5 MCAT points, how many do athletes get? And I assume there is a difference between regular 4 year athlete, D1 All-American, and world-class athlete (like an Olympian or NBA draftee).

@gyngyn, you're presumption of a 30+ instead of a 31 was spot on. I missed that. One question....if vets get 4-5 MCAT points, how many do athletes get? And I assume there is a difference between regular 4 year athlete, D1 All-American, and world-class athlete (like an Olympian or NBA draftee).
I know this will offend many, but most of the admissions committee members with whom I have worked (at more than one institution) wouldn't know D1 from a serious skin condition.

Reactions: 2 users
I know this will offend many, but most of the admissions committee members with whom I have worked (at more than one institution) wouldn't know D1 from a serious skin condition.

I'm more curious than offended. Collegiate athletes, even at the more competitive D3 levels, require focused dedication, commitment to individual excellence, and commitment to team excellence. Doing that while also excelling academically and meeting pre-med requirements in my view should be a strong predictor for a candidate doing well in med school and being an overall plus for the profession.

Aside from that, I assume most adcoms know the difference between Olympians and serious skin conditions.

"Settle down slugger"? Really?

I had read the whole read. I've complimented your advice before, but I think asking about your credentials to be a definitive list-giver when you are presumably in the cycle yourself and awaiting your own acceptance is legit. Do you disagree? Are you a high-tier applicant? If so, does being a high-tier applicant imbue with special knowledge to be one of the leaders in list offerings?

You are literally too stupid too insult. Cheers.

You are literally too stupid too insult. Cheers.

Now that's funny. Is your official guidebook on med school admissions being published this month, or next? Or are you asking your publisher to hold distribution until you find out whether you garner a med school acceptance?

I'm more curious than offended. Collegiate athletes, even at the more competitive D3 levels, require focused dedication, commitment to individual excellence, and commitment to team excellence. Doing that while also excelling academically and meeting pre-med requirements in my view should be a strong predictor for a candidate doing well in med school and being an overall plus for the profession.

Aside from that, I assume most adcoms know the difference between Olympians and serious skin conditions.
There is value in athletics. The commitment required at the expense of other more understandable activities is where any discrepancy in value will lie for medical school. Someone who does well at both will have no problems, I'm sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Now that's funny. Is your official guidebook on med school admissions being published this month, or next? Or are you asking your publisher to hold distribution until you find out whether you garner a med school acceptance?

Both of you should chill out. As I said before, just because someone isn't an adcom doesn't mean they can't give valuable and useful advice about the intricacies of this process. At its core, it's not actually that esoteric. There is a system at work which can be examined and understood.

Reactions: 1 users
Both of you should chill out. As I said before, just because someone isn't an adcom doesn't mean they can't give valuable and useful advice about the intricacies of this process. At its core, it's not actually that esoteric. There is a system at work which can be examined and understood.

Of course you are right as a technical fact. An 8th grader could memorize all the data and spit out a list of names based on input particulars, but I still think posters seeking lists would like to know if the person presenting as a consultant is just another applicant like him or her (or maybe even a pre-med who isn't even applying for another 2-3 cycles).

OP. Well with your stats compared to SDN you are out of luck. Sorry son try again when you can get a 528 mcat. But let's face it most sdn'ers are gunners and think the world is going to end if they do not have perfect scores in everything. I believe you have an awesome shot at Indiana. Some of your schools are seriously out of your reach and also out of the reach of 90% of applicants grasp. In my humble opinion start with Indiana and go from there.

OP also look into: Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, Penn State, NYMC, Albany, Vermont, Creighton, MCW, Wake Forest

Mid tier, no.

Low tier, yes. That's a plenty of schools to chose from.

Once you get > 100 hrs clinical experience, start your list with Tulane, U Miami, Loyola, and the Philly Triplets.

Trying to make some decisions on where to apply...basically want to see how ya'll view my chances for solid MD schools

-3.86cGPA, 3.97sGPA, ~31 MCAT
- +3000 hrs. (so far) D1 student-athlete BIG10
- +100 hrs. volunteering with underprivileged youth
- +60 hrs. shadowing (cardiology, orthopedic, general surgery, cardiothoracic, EP)
- leadership role/mentor in mentor program through athletic department
- +60hrs. paid employment at camp for my sport during summer
- various community service events through team

working on getting some clinical experience.

Concur 100% with my learned colleague. Athletes are expected to excel in their coursework just like people with large volunteer and/or research commitments, and those who are working while going to school. No non-curricular activity gets you a free pass to lower stats, unless there's a compelling story in the package, or absolutely killer ECs,. And sports aren't one of those killers. Some of my colleagues think D1 is a vitamin.

Last edited:
I think that too, but overall he interviewed at at least 4 schools, and was accepted to at least 2. I dunno the exact details since he didn't update more.