School List: 522 MCAT, 3.83 GPA, 3.64 sGPA, NC, 4 year athlete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bronco8

Reaction score
  1. cGPA 3.83, sGPA 3.64
  2. MCAT 522, 130, 131, 129, 132
  3. NC
  4. ORM
  5. T10 undegrad
  6. Clinical experience-
    1. EMT school although limited hours (27) as EMT to just intership shifts
    2. 1000 clinical hours as clinical research assistant doing extended direct patient interaction
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. Undergraduate research for 1 year, thesis completed, 270 hours
    2. 1 gap year 1000 hours clinical research ^ same job as above, 3 pubs, 11 abstracts, 2 presentations given at national level conference
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 120ish hours, lots of Ortho, Anesthesia, PM&R
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. About 20 hours as a running guide with blind running athletes
    2. 10ish hours teaching swim lessons for underserved communities
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. 4 year varsity student athlete at Power 5 athletics school. 3000ish hours. Team captain for a year, tried out for the Olympics
    2. 2 years serving as a peer mentor for student athletes in a mentorship organization
    3. 1 year on our student-athlete advisory council
    4. Currently doing my gap year at a highly ranking orthopedics program as the above mentioned research assistant, and continuing for the next year
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Graduation with Distinction
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. I applied last year with none of the clincal hours, half of the shadowing, no pubs, and got 1 interview from a T5 (somehow) but rejected. Seeking advice on whether this school list is realistic given some good stats but some not so great (but perhaps offset by the student-athlete thing)?
Wake Forest
Hofstra
Univ of Penn
Northwestern
Univ of Michigan
Yale
Univ of Pittsburgh
Georgetown
Univ of Alabama
Dartmouth
Harvard
Emory
Stanford
Univ of So Cal
Univ of Utah
Vermont
George Wash
Univ of Chicago
ECU
Boston Univ
Columbia
Duke
Brown
Tufts
UC-Irvine
UCLA
Univ of Colorado
UNC
Univ of Virginia
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Washington Univ STL
USC-Greenville
U. Mass- Chan
Arizona-Phoenix
Thomas Jeff
VCU
VT
Tulane

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. Your minimal non clinical volunteering hours will limit your chances for interviews at some schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UNC
East Carolina
Wake Forest
Duke
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Temple
Penn State
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
New York Medical College
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Yale
Vermont
Kaiser

Thank you for your advice! My previous gap year (and current year) are in New York. Does this influence choosing some NY schools as well (Albany, Stonybrook)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also do not see primary care in your shadowing experience, which may make a difference with many schools. Along with the lack of non-clinical service orientation activities where you are not a coach or a subject matter expert, your application could get screened out at many schools. This may be a factor in your subsequent rejection post-interview.

Reactions: 1 user
You could add Albany but Stony Brook admits few non residents.
Sorry to hijack but I posted a WAMC a while ago and had Stony Brook on my list. I am UT resident with not ties to NY. High stats, resume is fine. AMCAS already submitted with Stony, should I bother with their secondary if/when I get it or leave it? Thanks

Sorry to hijack but I posted a WAMC a while ago and had Stony Brook on my list. I am UT resident with not ties to NY. High stats, resume is fine. AMCAS already submitted with Stony, should I bother with their secondary if/when I get it or leave it? Thanks
Stony Brook admits only ~25 non residents per year. Some of those are former NY residents, attended undergraduate or graduate schools in NY. legacies, URM. So you may be competing for only 10 -12 positions for those with no connection to NY.

Stony Brook admits only ~25 non residents per year. Some of those are former NY residents, attended undergraduate or graduate schools in NY. legacies, URM. So you may be competing for only 10 -12 positions for those with no connection to NY.
Good to know. Sucks that it slipped through my WAMC, could have used that spot for something else :/
Oh well, secondary fees saved. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user