Midazolam - During Induction for Cardiac Ablation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFibber

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post. I'm a non-student who had a cardiac ablation earlier this year. My A-Fib was the paroxysmal variety.

Very happy with the results of the ablation, but was surprised when I read the medical reports a few months later and discovered that I wasn't intubated until 20 minutes after I was wheeled into the cath lab. I only recall the first 5 minutes in the lab.

After reading the anesthetic record, I understood why. Pre-intubation cocktail included: midazolam; followed later by propofol & fentanyl; and then rocuronium.

Had I known more about midazolam at the time of the ablation, I think I would have asked the anesthetist if we could go "straight to the propofol & fentanyl".

Obviously I had an incredibly smooth induction and I don't mean to criticize the anesthetist. But I was hoping to absorb all the goings-on in the cath lab up to the point where it was time for me to go under.

So my question is: Was the Midazolam really necessary? Any negatives to NOT having that as part of the cocktail?

PS I should mention that at the back-end during emergence, I would have absolutely NO desire to recall being extubated. Being able to remember gagging on the ETT is not too appealing even to one who is curious about the medical process.

Members don't see this ad.

I can appreciate your curiosity and understand you have no ill intent by posting these questions. But per our TOS, these forums are not a place for either medical advice or feedback on medical care one has received. If you have questions or concerns about your care, they should be brought up with your physician.

Closing.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.