Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You have 2 health insurance options...
a. Get the school's health insurance
b. Get your own and opt out of the school's health insurance

Proof of health insurance is required at all schools I believe. I was required to have health insurance for my undergrad university.

If you're a hardcore PC user and don't think you can adjust easily, then stick with PC. It's not like PC is a "bad" option even if other people make it sound like it. Everyone's different and have different preferences. I adjusted well when I transitioned. I hated Windows 7 and whatever was after Windows XP because they were dramatic changes that weren't consistant in design and functionality in my opinion.

Apple is much more user-friendly in that the functions are designed to fit everyone, regardless of technology knowledge/experience. Yea I do miss PC sometimes because I do love to tinker with technology, but at the same time... why am I worrying about fixing my computer when it should just work? Why download all kind of drivers when I could just plug it in and it just works?

I found apple computers are more durable, yet maintaining light portability especially with the unibody design they have now (your computer is essentially in one metal case, not in parts).

I did my research before the big jump. Maybe these will help you in yours :)
Why a Mac? http://www.apple.com/why-mac/
FAQ about the jump http://www.apple.com/why-mac/faq/

DEFINITELY, go to an apple store and just PLAY with the computers. Get a feel for yourself

It's official! Just put my deposit down. I can't wait for September! My email isn't functional yet, but I guess I'll have to be a little patient. For the laptop, I opted to go with the macbook, it seems like the more popular choice. I'm sure that if I have any issues, I'll have no problems finding someone that can help me troubleshoot. Thanks for the Facebook link--that was my next question.:)

Do you have any more information about the health insurance provided by MWU? Or know where I can find it on the website?

Hello I just have a quick question.
I know that there is a rec area on campus. What do you all think about it? For those who have used or seen it? Also are there any running trails on campus?

Also what is the largest lecture class size? I am coming from a small community college so I have never been exposed to a large campus or class. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was put on the alternate list last friday and i was accepted today!!!

good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Wow, I haven't been on here in a while. I'm currently a PS2 so if you any of you have questions about MWU, please feel free to ask. Congrats to those that were accepted.

I know that there is a rec area on campus. What do you all think about it? For those who have used or seen it? Also are there any running trails on campus?

Also what is the largest lecture class size? I am coming from a small community college so I have never been exposed to a large campus or class. Any tips?

The recreation center is decent. We have a really nice aerobics room with two flat screen TVs and other misc. equipment. The gym is equipped with all the necessary workout equipment you could ask for. There aren't any designated running trails on campus, however I have seen people running around the back side of the campus, which is mainly grassland and hills. Aside from the 200+ students in everyone of your classes, there will be a combined lecture with DO, PA and BMS for Biochemistry (PS1) and Pharmacology (PS2).

Tips? Network, create a legacy, become well known.

Wow, I haven't been on here in a while. I'm currently a PS2 so if you any of you have questions about MWU, please feel free to ask. Congrats to those that were accepted.
Welcome back! :D Have a great spring break!

Do you have any more information about the health insurance provided by MWU? Or know where I can find it on the website?
I'm trying to look for a webpage but I can't seem to find it. I believe it's Aetna. More information at orientation. Sorry I'm not helpful :(

I know that there is a rec area on campus. What do you all think about it? For those who have used or seen it? Also are there any running trails on campus? Also what is the largest lecture class size? I am coming from a small community college so I have never been exposed to a large campus or class. Any tips?

There are indoor basketball courts, indoor racquetball courts, a weight room, an aerobics room, and a room with machines like 5-6 treadmills, ellipticals, etc. It's open from 5:30am - midnight. The shower locker rooms are nice. It's decent :)

Running trails: The backside of campus has neighborhoods and small street to run through. Otherwise there aren't any trails.

Largest lecture size can get up to 300-400 seats because of combined courses. Tips to handle that is to avoid the back because people talk and it's annoying as hell to me. If you wanna sleep or talk, sit in the back. Try not to sleep because your friends will take pictures of you :) Buy lots of highlighters! You'll need it. Bring small snacks, don't make a mess. Phone on vibrate/silent and mute your laptop.

Big lecture size is no biggie, just arrive on-time, sit, take out your notes, actively listen, highlight, be quiet. :\

I was put on the alternate list last friday and i was accepted today!!!
good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!
Congrats! See, you weren't on that waitlist very long :)

Jkong,

to clarify the laptop issue:

are all incoming students required to purchase a new laptop or is it just for people that don't already have one? I haven't paid my deposit yet so i haven't seen the actual prompt to choose but from what i've been reading, the school requires that all incoming students purchase a new laptop. Is this included in the quoted cost of tuition or it is an extra expense?

are the two models you listed our only options in terms of size?

(Sorry if you've already gone through this!)

Jkong,

to clarify the laptop issue:

are all incoming students required to purchase a new laptop or is it just for people that don't already have one? I haven't paid my deposit yet so i haven't seen the actual prompt to choose but from what i've been reading, the school requires that all incoming students purchase a new laptop. Is this included in the quoted cost of tuition or it is an extra expense?

are the two models you listed our only options in terms of size?

(Sorry if you've already gone through this!)

When I put my deposit down, I HAD to choose a laptop, so they have no way of knowing if you already have a computer or not. The two models to choose from were a 13.3 inch Dell, or a 13 inch MacBook pro. When you put the deposit down, you enter some information and then you get to the laptop screen. From there, you're forced to choose one or the other. As far as I know, they include the price of laptop in the tuition. The cost will be included in Fall tuition, I believe.

I interviewed at both Midwesterns recently, Glendale and Chicago. I just logged in today to see the accepted checklist. When I looked at the agreement I noticed it was for the Chicago campus. Does anyone know if this means that I can no longer get accepted to Glendale? Has anyone heard of someone being accepted to both schools in their portal with the option to choose?? Thanks.

When I put my deposit down, I HAD to choose a laptop, so they have no way of knowing if you already have a computer or not. The two models to choose from were a 13.3 inch Dell, or a 13 inch MacBook pro. When you put the deposit down, you enter some information and then you get to the laptop screen. From there, you're forced to choose one or the other. As far as I know, they include the price of laptop in the tuition. The cost will be included in Fall tuition, I believe.

Correcto. ALL incoming pharmacy students must get a laptop. Only 2 choices. Payment is into the tuition.

I interviewed at both Midwesterns recently, Glendale and Chicago. I just logged in today to see the accepted checklist. When I looked at the agreement I noticed it was for the Chicago campus. Does anyone know if this means that I can no longer get accepted to Glendale? Has anyone heard of someone being accepted to both schools in their portal with the option to choose?? Thanks.
Think of each school as independent schools. Yea we're sister schools but we students don't really interact or know what's going on with each other. So I'm sure there are people who have been accepted to both. I unfortunately were not one of them so I cannot help you :( Sorry

Members don't see this ad :)

You can be accepted to both. I was accepted to both and had the option to choose where I wanted to put my deposit.

Got my acceptance email friday. Stoked but unsure of what to do because of tuition.

Got my acceptance email friday. Stoked but unsure of what to do because of tuition.

same here. I love the school and the area but i don't know if i can justify paying almost $50,000 a year, especially when i can go to university of cincinnati for less than half as much.

For the question on running trails.

If you go to the very west part of campus, by the parking structure, you can actually access the trails to the adjacent forest preserve, Lyman woods.

To whom it may concern,

I received my acceptance notification just a few days ago. I would love to hear from some students already in the program about how they handled the financial aid process. Do you have any tips for navigating different scholarships opportunities? Do most people fund their entire four years using loans? If so, is the process pretty straightforward? I am asking this because I didn't take on loans during my undergraduate years and am a bit unsure about all of this. The prospect of being in debt up to my eyeballs is a bit scary!!:eek: Please give me some insight that you've gained from your respective experiences. Thank you!

I have more questions...the acceptance letter says that I need to send a copy of my pharmacy technician license to the school. In my state, you need 9 months of training before they give you a tech license, but I assume this is not the case in Illinois? I believe I found the application online, is this the right one?: https://www.idfpr.com/applications/onlinelicensing/Instructions.aspx?Data=txcIGZV/Z2v1yjU+Qo1KeQ==

Also, for the out of state students, are you still technically a resident of your home state? Or did you need to get new Illinois license plates, etc?

They talked about it at the interview... You need to apply for an Illinois tech license as a student. Out of state students cannot transfer their home state license over to another state.

Do you know if I'm at the right page? I assume so because there aren't that many options, but I'm new to all this.

To whom it may concern,

I received my acceptance notification just a few days ago. I would love to hear from some students already in the program about how they handled the financial aid process. Do you have any tips for navigating different scholarships opportunities? Do most people fund their entire four years using loans? If so, is the process pretty straightforward? I am asking this because I didn't take on loans during my undergraduate years and am a bit unsure about all of this. The prospect of being in debt up to my eyeballs is a bit scary!!:eek: Please give me some insight that you've gained from your respective experiences. Thank you!

Unfortunately it's all loans. You will need to complete a series of steps that will be outlined in the financial aid section of your student portal. It is very straight forward :) If you run into any issues I would suggest contacting the financial aid office.

Applying for scholarships is pretty much on your own. The school does forward scholarship information to the students but they do not automatically provide grants/scholarships. There is a scholarship application and they will email that to all students when it is available.

I have more questions...the acceptance letter says that I need to send a copy of my pharmacy technician license to the school. In my state, you need 9 months of training before they give you a tech license, but I assume this is not the case in Illinois? I believe I found the application online, is this the right one?: https://www.idfpr.com/applications/onlinelicensing/Instructions.aspx?Data=txcIGZV/Z2v1yjU+Qo1KeQ==

Also, for the out of state students, are you still technically a resident of your home state? Or did you need to get new Illinois license plates, etc?

Yes that is the correct website. It is an online application and you will be approved within 2 minutes... (I know... a little strange)

Make sure you are applying for "Pharmacy Technician" NOT "Pharmacy Technician for Student Pharmacist". You will get instructions to get this your winter quarter in school.

If you do NOT have a pharmacy technician license in your current home state, that's ok. Don't worry about it.

hey jkong...are there student employment opportunities on campus and are they hard to get?

also, what are the chances of a first year getting housing in the pine apartments?

Thanks for your replies to my past queries! I'm also curious about managing the pharmacy courseload. I would really appreciate any of your insights and suggestions on time management, study tips, etc. Also, do the lecture powerpoint presentations provide you with enough information to study and do well on the exams? Are there certain books that are recommended but not used? Again I appreciate any suggestions you can provide. Thank you!

Thanks for your replies to my past queries! I'm also curious about managing the pharmacy courseload. I would really appreciate any of your insights and suggestions on time management, study tips, etc. Also, do the lecture powerpoint presentations provide you with enough information to study and do well on the exams? Are there certain books that are recommended but not used? Again I appreciate any suggestions you can provide. Thank you!

It's extremely manageable. Midwestern students are pretty much spoon fed, yet people still complain. The notes for most classes are printed and supplied by the book store for 20-40 dollars. There is no need to purchase textbooks, for all exam questions come directly from the notes, however some students purchase these books as supplemental reading material. When you start you will hear from a lot of students that textbooks are not necessary. That is up to you to decide. Good luck!

hey jkong...are there student employment opportunities on campus and are they hard to get?

also, what are the chances of a first year getting housing in the pine apartments?

Student employment on campus = rare. Although I heard the way to get a position is to just ask.

First year getting pines is low chance just because space is limited and I think a lot of upperclassmen would have claimed it. but rank it high and hopefully you get it.

Interviewed on 2/03/2012. Accepted about a week after..and will be Attending in September. I have a minor or is it major? problem. It has to do mostly with the immunization forms and requirements.

First I have a question. I know we have to send them an original health requirement form but do you have to send them your original immunization records (forms with dates of my vaccines etc.) too? Can i make a photocopy of my immunization records and send them instead because I might need the original copies for future jobs or even schools.

Also, I was not born in the United States even though I am a citizen. One of the requirements for those not born here is to have THREE doses of DTP, Dt, Td, or Tdap. I had one when i was a kid but haven't had any recently. I am not even sure If i can get three doses within the span of these 5 months before school starts.

This might sound stupid but I never knew a requirement such as this could possibly hold back my chances of attending the university.

Last edited:
You can fax a copy of your immunizations. Tdap is Required every 10 years. Get the tdap, it consists of all three, tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis.

Fax or mail in the COPY. BRING the original with you just in case.

For everyone...:
If you're missing titers because your doctors office cannot perform QUANTITATIVE titers, you can get them done at the MWU Wellness Center. None of my doctor's offices were able to do it and the day before orientation, I went and got my titers taken. It might be easier just getting everything done at the Wellness Center because I have heard of students having major issues getting their medical stuffs from their home doctors.

In addition, you may be required to get a flu shot and it's free through the school. Might as well get your titers and flu shot in the same visit. Just a thought

how do I log into my midwestern email to check for updates and emails?

As of now, midwestern is my top choice to attend in the fall. however, i have recently been accepted into a pharmacy school that is ranked in the top ten according to US news. It seems that for pharmacy that the general consensus is that ranking does not matter. However, there is a huge difference between midwestern's ranking, as compared to this second school. As much as i love midwestern, i would hate to find later down the line that i would have had more opportunities at another school. I'm struggling with deciding how important a school's ranking is to me.

my question for current students is that have you felt that midwestern's ranking has at all effected your opportunities as a pharmacist/pharmacy student?

also, do you have information or know where i would find information on midwestern's success in residency placement?

how do I log into my midwestern email to check for updates and emails?

I had a hard time figuring out this one out too... basically, you go to the Midwestern University website, and click on the MWUNET link towards the top-center of the page. After you log in to the homepage of MWUnet, you click on the 'webmail' link under 'resources'; your username and password should be the same as the ones you used to log in MWUNET.

As of now, midwestern is my top choice to attend in the fall. however, i have recently been accepted into a pharmacy school that is ranked in the top ten according to US news. It seems that for pharmacy that the general consensus is that ranking does not matter. However, there is a huge difference between midwestern's ranking, as compared to this second school. As much as i love midwestern, i would hate to find later down the line that i would have had more opportunities at another school. I'm struggling with deciding how important a school's ranking is to me.

my question for current students is that have you felt that midwestern's ranking has at all effected your opportunities as a pharmacist/pharmacy student?

also, do you have information or know where i would find information on midwestern's success in residency placement?

I kept reading the ranking forum and it mentions multiple times that ranking is only important on a regional basis so i suppose i should add that this second school purdue, which has a strong presence is chicago and indiana.

hmm well like you already mentioned, ranking doesn't matter. I think accreditation does matter which MWU has 20 years on that.

From my experience with ranking and presence... if anything MWU helped me a little because from what I hear... my classmates and my preceptors were MWU or UIC graduates. I sent pharm tech job applications and I got a call-back from a manager who was a MWU alumni. I went back home to CA, went to a friend's birthday party and there was an MWU alumna who attended.

But that's about it. I don't think ranking has any effect on opportunities but I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Is there anything else you can compare the two schools with besides ranking? That might help you better in your decision between the two schools. Best of luck

I asked a pharmacist I know that was a recruiter and involved in hiring for a national pharmacy chain and he told me that besides the benefit of networking and any bias an employer may have for students from their alma mater, ranking and "prestige" don't play much of a role.

To current and post pharmacy school students,

If you could go through pharmacy school all over again, what would you do differently and why? I ask this because I would like to learn how to make the most of the pharmacy school experience. Also, I am curious to know your insights on the current state and future outlook for this profession. Thanks for your time.

I asked a pharmacist I know that was a recruiter and involved in hiring for a national pharmacy chain and he told me that besides the benefit of networking and any bias an employer may have for students from their alma mater, ranking and "prestige" don't play much of a role.

I agree. I believe it's the opportunities the school provides students that play a role in the type of jobs they are likely to get. I know a lot of graduates that had excellent experiences at rotations, networking events, etc. that made them strong candidates for positions after graduation. From everything I have heard, meeting people and making connections is huge in pharmacy.

To current and post pharmacy school students,

If you could go through pharmacy school all over again, what would you do differently and why? I ask this because I would like to learn how to make the most of the pharmacy school experience. Also, I am curious to know your insights on the current state and future outlook for this profession. Thanks for your time.

Hmm...I have only good experiences so far, so unfortunately I would say nothing. I wouldn't want to change any of my decisions I've made since arriving here.

- Pledge a fraternity
- Bring layers and warm clothes
- Get involved with other organizations
- Talk to your professors
- Get an I-Pass
- LEARN the material, don't memorize!
- Have a positive attitude about school.

I really mean the last two points.

Learn the material because it's all about your patients now. It's NOT about the grade. Be a good, reliable, trustworthy pharmacist, not a half-assed one. Come to class with a positive attitude. If you come to class hating school and all that then you'll have a negative experience because you're consciously setting yourself up for it. Don't let other people get you down, you're not them, they are not you. Get yourself together and excel.

Mostly just the ranking (and a somewhat lower tuition at purdue, although not a significant difference).

I'm planning on visiting both schools again at the end of the month but when i called midwestern to schedule a campus tour, they said that they don't give tours of the dorms until the summer time. how can i get in touch with current students that are living in the dorms to just pop in and take a quick look at the rooms?

Hello guys! I'm new here, this is my first post! I got accepted to the pharmacy program and I'm about to place my deposit by the end of this week, I just have a couple of questions:
1- how can I acquire a pharmacy tech license ? ( the school requires you to submit a copy of a valid Illinois pharmacy tech license )
2- do I have to take the national exam or will I be approved for one since I'm going to attend pharmacy school in Illinois?
I know I sound confused cause I really am, any information will be helpful, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello guys! I'm new here, this is my first post! I got accepted to the pharmacy program and I'm about to place my deposit by the end of this week, I just have a couple of questions:
1- how can I acquire a pharmacy tech license ? ( the school requires you to submit a copy of a valid Illinois pharmacy tech license )
2- do I have to take the national exam or will I be approved for one since I'm going to attend pharmacy school in Illinois?
I know I sound confused cause I really am, any information will be helpful, thanks in advance!

Go here,

http://www.idfpr.com/profs/info/Pharm.asp

There will be options for student pharmacists. I was accepted in October and sent them a copy of my acceptance letter to qualify as student pharmacist status.

Thanks! should i go to the pharmacy technician online application? and pay the 40$ fee?

I'm an RA. When are you planning on visiting? I'll hook you up.

That would be great!

it would be the weekend of the 26th of march

Are the different programs integrated in the dorms? My friend was just accepted into their DO program and i wanted to know if we would be able to live together or if i would have to live with another pharmacy student.

I believe the student application is $25. I would read up on that.

sorry to bother you again, i really can't find a student technician application. I did however pay 40$ for a pharmacy technician application and received this:

"This is to advise "MY NAME" holds an active PHARMACY TECHNICIAN license in the state
of Illinois, license number 049.XXXXXX. This license was originally issued on March, 2012 and will expire March 31, 2013."
The said they will mail my official license within 3 weeks.
So is this it?
Thanks again.