Midwestern Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truebruin88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sample questions

1)why optometry
2)why this school?
3)what is the difference b/t the 3 "O"
4)what if you don't get accepted this time
5)name of a song that describe you
6)desc a time where you failed, and how did you get past it
7)what is optometry

make sure you read the hangout they give you around 8am, memorize it !

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That post really screamed out at me due to all the exclamation, question marks.
I think their app. process started pretty late, so you might be one of the first. If that's true, it might be harder to get feedback.

I really have not heard much about Midwestern, but I don't think it should be too different from all the other schools. (i.e. Why Midwestern?) Check out the interview feedback forums

you are right, i googled midwestern but found few postings online... there's nothing on interview feedback forums either, so i am freaking out preparing for the interview since i have no clue what i should be expecting

Members don't see this ad :)
You might be able to call them up and ask a few questions about it...ie. open or closed file? behavioral? etc... just an idea.

Also you can look up some universal interview questions. Probably somewhat in the realms of why optometry, tell me about yourself, etc

You might be able to call them up and ask a few questions about it...ie. open or closed file? behavioral? etc... just an idea.

Also you can look up some universal interview questions. Probably somewhat in the realms of why optometry, tell me about yourself, etc

Sorry I was vague, that's really what I meant when I said "check out the interview feedback forums."
The questions are never too different

the interview is really laid back, no ethical or behavioral questions, just simple questions tht u shuld be knowing answers to. they let u know ur result in 3 to 4 weeks.

good luck.

They may just check you for a pulse.
Have one, you're in.:rolleyes:

Why there? Go to an established school.

I just got an interview invitation to Midwestern OD program. What type of questions should I be expecting? What are they looking for???? Please help!!!!
1/ what are optometrist? optician? ophthalmologist?
2/ Why optometry?
3/ Why midwestern?
4/ What your plans after you graduate?

Hey
Wanted to know if people can post some more interview questions for Midwestern. My interview coming up wanted to see the variety of questions they can ask me? I dont know a lot of people that are applying anyone else applying? Did anyone get a rejection letter? Very curious about this school.

Has anyone interviewed this month and heard back?

Hey
Wanted to know if people can post some more interview questions for Midwestern. My interview coming up wanted to see the variety of questions they can ask me? I dont know a lot of people that are applying anyone else applying? Did anyone get a rejection letter? Very curious about this school.

As stated in the above post, those are very ideal questions...

Plus look at the interview thread....

Members don't see this ad :)
I was not able to find anything about in the interview feedback. Does anyone know if its an open file or closed file interview?

By difficult you mean it's late to get accepted this year since they don't have many spots left or their standards?

When I had spoken to the Dean earlier this year he told me that the class size is 70. I wanted to know if anyone got rejection letter there that had gotten an interview?

Anyone know how far along the program is? ie have the profs been hired, clinic setup etc.?

Anyone know how far along the program is? ie have the profs been hired, clinic setup etc.?

They plan to build a building set for 2010. We saw the hole in the ground!
The Dena said they had some professors and are looking for more. But the good things is that the basic sciences courses have professors already. Dental, pharm and DO students will be taking those classes with us.

Hey you guys do you know how far Midwestern is from the airport because I have a flight that is at 4:25 leaving from there. Wanted to know does the tour and interview last till 2:30 like they stated in the emal. Do you think I will make it on time to the airport if it does end at 2:30?

It's about 30 minutes or so. The whole day does end at about 230, which in all honesty is about 3 hours too long because of the copius amounts of down time. I would recommend bringing reading material or homework or making friends with some of your fellow applicants. It will be a close call for your flight, so just make sure you have everything ready to go!

Anyone willing to provide a quick outline of entire interview day?

Has anyone been rejected from Midwestern?? Or waitlisted???

yea I wanted to know if their were also other people who are waitlisted or rejected. Sorry that is wat I meant to say.

yea I wanted to know if their were also other people who are waitlisted or rejected. Sorry that is wat I meant to say.

You are not going to hear many people saying they got rejected from MWU.

I'm curious... why is that?

Really?

Okay here goes: first off, no one likes admitting they didn't get accepted. Some people will admit but many won't. Secondly there is a stigma that MWU should be a given considering it is a new school and new school standards probably are not as high as other OD schools, at least for the moment.

Really?

Okay here goes: first off, no one likes admitting they didn't get accepted. Some people will admit but many won't. Secondly there is a stigma that MWU should be a given considering it is a new school and new school standards probably are not as high as other OD schools, at least for the moment.

You're so mean! Ok. Well, it does make sense. :p
BUT, there will be some rejections for sure in a couple of months as people are being put on the waitlist at MWU. Just like Western has done and Incarnate will do. Its all a matter of time.

Im sure they will be rejecting people. They are most likely going to have lot more applications then there class.

You're so mean! Ok. Well, it does make sense. :p
BUT, there will be some rejections for sure in a couple of months as people are being put on the waitlist at MWU. Just like Western has done and Incarnate will do. Its all a matter of time.

Dryeye, you know what I mean! I think you will do great there! ;)

If I offended anyone in my previous post, it was not my intention!

Midwestern begins the application cycles in Jan and continue to accept the applications until July. There are 35/50 acceptances so far by Early of Mar. It's always more selective/competitive toward the end of the cycle. Good luck!

Interview on the 19th of March in Miidwestern. Getting nervous! :(

"Name a song that describes you"? Seriously? ::Insert eye-roll smiley here:::

a good answer would be the united states anthem!

Honestly I dont care where I go as long as I'am able to graduate in 4 years and get my degree, because at the end it doesnt matter what school you graduate from :). Schools have to start some where. I mean SUNY had a first year class too and they are fine so did the other optometry school.

"Name a song that describes you"? Seriously? ::Insert eye-roll smiley here:::

wait, they asked you that on your interview? what does that have to do with optometry?

From what I've read, schools like to answer those off-the-chart questions to test how well you respond to an unexpected situation. If you stutter, mumble, or dodge your way through it, they might think that you are not a fast thinker. A good answer, no matter how ridiculous or embarrassing it might be (for example, you can say your favorite song is by Marky Mark), would be a well-thought out and reasoned answer with little or no hesitations.

From what I've read, schools like to answer those off-the-chart questions to test how well you respond to an unexpected situation. If you stutter, mumble, or dodge your way through it, they might think that you are not a fast thinker. A good answer, no matter how ridiculous or embarrassing it might be (for example, you can say your favorite song is by Marky Mark), would be a well-thought out and reasoned answer with little or no hesitations.

Regardless, this seems a somewhat spurious "test" — a person might not be good at answering this sort of question, but may be perfectly fit to be an optometrist.

And I agree with you, Commando. That's why interviews have stopped asking these kind of questions lately. Nowadays, interview questions are targeted toward knowing the personality of the candidate rather than grilling the candidate with questions.

And I agree with you, Commando. That's why interviews have stopped asking these kind of questions lately. Nowadays, interview questions are targeted toward knowing the personality of the candidate rather than grilling the candidate with questions.

I agree.

I did however have an interviewer ask me how a good friend would describe me. I proceeded to answer the question by stating some good characteristics I thought a friend of mine would say about me. The interviewer then said these are all good characteristics, but are there any negative ones your friend would say? I quickly responded by saying "well if a friend has negative things to say about me then they wouldn't be my friend." He laughed, I think he liked that answer because it was a quick witty response and I didn't cave in to giving a negative response.

I think they do find ways to ask you those obscure questions but in a more subtle approach.

damn, i should have thought of that. I said ferg-a-licious cuz i be up in the gym just a workin on my fitness

haha! if i was one of the interviewers i would so invite you to attend that college.