Program-Specific Info / Q's Midwestern University Admissions- Glendale... Who Survived/ Who's Applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTbroFromCO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed Sept. 4th and was accepted the 10th! Who else from the first interview date will be attending? Who else is interviewing/ applying?

Members don't see this ad.

How early did you apply? And what are your stats if you don't mind me asking.

I have an interview coming up for the Downer's Grove campus. What was the interview process like?
Also, congratulations!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
How early did you apply? And what are your stats if you don't mind me asking.

My OTCAS was verified 8/8

Basic Stats:

GPA 3.51
Shadow Hrs. 60 in 5 settings (I found was relatively low compared to others, I would recommend more)
Volunteer 45 Hrs. Special Olympics + 150 Hr. Internship

I have an interview coming up for the Downer's Grove campus. What was the interview process like?
Also, congratulations!!!

Thanks!

The interview process was formal, but very relaxed. Dress in a formal suit (avoid black)- grey or navy. Though the questions varied slightly between interviews (and they likely will @ Downer's Grove), be prepared to answer: Why OT? What is OT to you? Can you share a positive experience from your shadow experience? - Things you would expect them to ask. It was honestly more of a friendly conversation than a stern questioning.

Relax, and sell yourself- you made it this far.

Good luck!

My OTCAS was verified 8/8

Basic Stats:

GPA 3.51
Shadow Hrs. 60 in 5 settings (I found was relatively low compared to others, I would recommend more)
Volunteer 45 Hrs. Special Olympics + 150 Hr. Internship

Thanks! and congrats on getting in! Do you know how filled the class is? or were you the first round of acceptances..

Congratulations on your acceptance! I just submitted my application but I'm waiting for it to be verified. I was also wondering how full the class is already.

Thanks! and congrats on getting in! Do you know how filled the class is? or were you the first round of acceptances..

Congratulations on your acceptance! I just submitted my application but I'm waiting for it to be verified. I was also wondering how full the class is already.

That's a good question! I was part of the first round of interviews. Of those who interviewed (around 10), I don't know who was accepted, I was hoping a few would chime in on here if they did. The early bird gets the worm here! Get that OTCAS verified ASAP.

OTbrofromCO Did you apply for any other programs? What are your impressions of the program and campus after your interview?

OTbrofromCO Did you apply for any other programs? What are your impressions of the program and campus after your interview?

I also applied to A.T. Still, Touro University, and Midwestern Downer's Grove.

I visited A.T. Still last spring, and I thought it was a great program as well. It did however seem more theory/ research based. I felt that Midwestern had a more "hands-on" type program, and the labs/ equipment seemed a little better at Midwestern. The cadaver lab is huge!

Midwestern will definitely be a challenge, but the relationship the staff and students have is awesome, and the students we spoke with talked very highly of the program, and were very passionate about OT.

How much time passed from the time your app was verified to the time Midwestern contacted you for an interview?

That's a fast response! I'm applying as well but have yet to submit my application to OTCAS.. I'm hoping to hear some acceptances so I know my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interveiwed the 4th and also got acceptance on the 10th. Looks like we are going to be classmates. :)

That's a fast response! I'm applying as well but have yet to submit my application to OTCAS.. I'm hoping to hear some acceptances so I know my chances.
From what I hear the early bird gets the worm! I wouldn't procrastinate. Your chances are what you create for yourself. I'm a total underdog in this hunt. I'm old, established in Arizona, and have all my eggs in one basket. I made stupid decisions when I was younger with not dropping classes that have affected my GPA and I only have shadowing experience in one area. I had hoped to get my app in sooner but had difficulty getting one of my references motivated...but, I'm going for it, I am passionate about the career, and am determined to get in even if it doesn't happen this cycle. I really really hope it does happen this cycle because again...I'm old. :heckyeah:

From what I hear the early bird gets the worm! I wouldn't procrastinate. Your chances are what you create for yourself. I'm a total underdog in this hunt. I'm old, established in Arizona, and have all my eggs in one basket. I made stupid decisions when I was younger with not dropping classes that have affected my GPA and I only have shadowing experience in one area. I had hoped to get my app in sooner but had difficulty getting one of my references motivated...but, I'm going for it, I am passionate about the career, and am determined to get in even if it doesn't happen this cycle. I really really hope it does happen this cycle because again...I'm old. :heckyeah:

Good luck! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking.

Good luck! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking.

Overall GPA: 3.13 (Graduated with a 4.0 from ASU but Community College mistakes are what hit me hard)
OT/Health Related Hours: 92 all in a pediatric setting
Volunteer Hours: 15,000+
Degree: B.S in Family and Human Development

Overall GPA: 3.13 (Graduated with a 4.0 from ASU but Community College mistakes are what hit me hard)
Your stats are impressive and you've definitely demonstrated growth by getting a 4.0 and participating in so many volunteer activities. I can't imagine that your "community college mistakes" will hold you back. Good luck!!

Get some volunteer hours in other settings to strengthen your application

Your stats are impressive and you've definitely demonstrated growth by getting a 4.0 and participating in so many volunteer activities. I can't imagine that your "community college mistakes" will hold you back. Good luck!!

Thanks! Being old has it's perks sometimes...lots of time to rack up random volunteer hours! ;)

Get some volunteer hours in other settings to strengthen your application

I wish I had the time too! I have a full time job and am in the middle of finishing up some pre-req's. I actually had a hard time finding a place to get in at all. When I did I ran with it! I'm not overly concerned about not having exposure in other areas. I went to an open house at Midwestern and was talking with one of the faculty and her advise to me was to find a place in my area of interest and get to know it. Plus I have exposure in other healthcare areas that I feel help round me out. If I don't get in, then I'll worry about it. :unsure:

Thanks! Midwestern only calculates overall GPA right?

San Jose, CA! Are you from here too?

I am. Born and raised. I am in the MWU cohort class of 2014. Just finishing up my last Level II fieldwork here in AZ. If you got any questions let me know.

Reactions: 1 user
otsomeday! Do you currently know of anyone in your cohort that got in with a 3.2 gpa?

And, did you apply to sjsu?

otsomeday! Do you currently know of anyone in your cohort that got in with a 3.2 gpa?

And, did you apply to sjsu?

Well my GPA was 3.4
--Your personality and impressions on the staff are more important than grades on the interview.
I did not apply to SJSU because of the GRE.....

Well my GPA was 3.4
--Your personality and impressions on the staff are more important than grades on the interview.
I did not apply to SJSU because of the GRE.....

That's good news because I'm oozing with personality!!! :banana:

Hi all. I have recently considered applying for Midwestern and I was wondering (before I bug the admissions), if anyone knows what classifies as the "social and behavior science" pre-req? I am from CA and I'm not sure if Psyc classes or sociology classes cover this pre-req.. thanks!!

Hi all. I have recently considered applying for Midwestern and I was wondering (before I bug the admissions), if anyone knows what classifies as the "social and behavior science" pre-req? I am from CA and I'm not sure if Psyc classes or sociology classes cover this pre-req.. thanks!!

When you fill out your coursework section in the OTCAS, it has a list of what classes classify as such... refer to that.

OTbrofromCO! Did you apply to AZ or IL!? I called AZ admissions and they claim they haven't done any interviews let alone any acceptances yet.

OTbrofromCO! Did you apply to AZ or IL!? I called AZ admissions and they claim they haven't done any interviews let alone any acceptances yet.

I applied to both. I have interviewed and have been accepted at the AZ campus, but have heard nothing back from the IL campus. Perhaps you called the IL campus on accident??

Or AZ's just playin' games with you :laugh:

So, I graduate with my undergrad in December but plan on applying within the next few weeks to MWU.. Does anyone know if they accept students with their degree still in progress?

So, I graduate with my undergrad in December but plan on applying within the next few weeks to MWU.. Does anyone know if they accept students with their degree still in progress?

Yes, they do. Obviously they will pend your acceptance to make sure you meet final requirements, but you are good.

Whoa! They already did interviews? OTCAS says they don't start till October! Still waiting to hear from downer groves on whether or not i got an interview!

From my past knowledge, interviews don't begin till early October. But i'm not 100%, applicants are on the rise so they could have started interviews earlier this time around.

I woke up this morning and checked my Midwestern University Arizona account thinking that they may not send an email informing of an interview and I was right. I have been invited to interview and they are asking me to choose between two dates in November so interviews are still going on. Just so people know I submitted my application on 9/26/2014. Good luck to everyone applying.

Whoa! They already did interviews? OTCAS says they don't start till October! Still waiting to hear from downer groves on whether or not i got an interview!

Hi Mariv,
I actually have an interview at Midwestern on Wednesday. It seemed like I have the first interview date since there was only one day available and it said that more dates will be available soon. I submitted my otcas application late July or early August and they emailed me in early-mid September I believe.

Hi Mariv,
I actually have an interview at Midwestern on Wednesday. It seemed like I have the first interview date since there was only one day available and it said that more dates will be available soon. I submitted my otcas application late July or early August and they emailed me in early-mid September I believe.

I can't believe they wouldn't send a formal email invite for an interview. That doesn't sound very professional, but congratulations and good luck!

Hi Mariv,
For the Illinois campus??

For the Illinois campus??
Yes the Illinois campus.
I recieved an email inviting me to an interview, but was told to login on their website and choose a date. I'll let you know how everything goes :)
I read these forums frequently and haven't yet seen anyone else posting about an interview at the Downer's Grove campus, so I'm sure they have many more interviews to come!

Yes the Illinois campus.
I recieved an email inviting me to an interview, but was told to login on their website and choose a date. I'll let you know how everything goes :)
I read these forums frequently and haven't yet seen anyone else posting about an interview at the Downer's Grove campus, so I'm sure they have many more interviews to come!

Can i ask your stats?
Good luck!!! Maybe we'll be classmates!

Can i ask your stats?
Good luck!!! Maybe we'll be classmates!
I hope so!
Are you from Illinois?

My Stats...
Major: Psychology, graduating in December
GPA: 3.91
GRE: 150ish on both and 4.0 writing (but I don't think Midwestern looks at GRE)
150 hours of observing at 6 settings but most at a pediatric facility, the others were hospitals and nursing homes
I currently work as a chiropractic / physical therapy assistant. I perform stretches, demonstrate and observe exercises, and set up patients with electrical stimulation, ultrasound, etc.
4 LOR: 1 OT, 1 volunteer supervisor whom is a rehab aide, my current boss, and a previous supervisor
I also submitted my application really early which probably helped.

My application was recently verified but I am still waiting on a LOR from an occupational therapist. I designated schools thinking that the OTR could send in the LOR when she finished and it would be automatically added to the file. Does anyone know how this works? Did I make a huge mistake in designating schools before she finished the LOR? I received instructions to set up an admissions account at Midwestern and it says they received my LOR from the therapist, but I know that she did not yet submit it. Anyone have any insight or experience with this?