Midwestern University C/O 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the date that all your required courses need to be completed by?
I'm taking one online course to finish my pre-reqs and I wanted to make sure that it was done by that date!

( apparently last day is Aug 6th for anyone curious as well! )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just got my letter notifying me I am an alternate! Very hopeful and excited at this point. I loved Midwestern and really hope a seat is available for me. Does anyone have any advice for improving my chances?

Just logged onto the portal (again...) and they asked me to verify my address and contact information for the second time. The last time they asked me was right before I was notified of being an alternate, what is this time for?
Maybe they will be starting to contact more of us alternates soon as they get a better feel for how full their class is

Hoping it's good news!!!

Just logged onto the portal (again...) and they asked me to verify my address and contact information for the second time. The last time they asked me was right before I was notified of being an alternate, what is this time for?
Maybe they will be starting to contact more of us alternates soon as they get a better feel for how full their class is

Hoping it's good news!!!

Mine did the same thing. Keep your fingers crossed! And toes!

Reactions: 1 users
I seriously was going to cry after reading this if my portal didn't ask me to verify my address..
thankfully it did for me too!!
I'm hoping all of us get contacted soon! :xf:

I don't know about you guys but I have to verify my address every time I log into my portal.

I'm an accepted student with deposit in already and it has me verify randomly. Fingers crossed for everyone on wait list. MWU is amazing. :)

To all alternate hopefuls!
I received news, as of yesterday there are 72 students still on the alternate list (same number told to me a few weeks ago). There are now 32 spaces still available, the total class size will be 102. From last years posts, it looks like we could be receiving phone calls on Thursday if we are accepted. I seriously can't wait anymore!

Reactions: 4 users
To all alternate hopefuls!
I received news, as of yesterday there are 72 students still on the alternate list (same number told to me a few weeks ago). There are now 32 spaces still available, the total class size will be 102. From last years posts, it looks like we could be receiving phone calls on Thursday if we are accepted. I seriously can't wait anymore!

I am DYING

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!!!! :soexcited:

Hope more alternates get good news today!!!

Congrats!!!!!! Did you find out through phone call, email or portal?

Thank you!!! I received a phone call at 1130am, he said it would take about 2 hours for my portal to update with the accepted student checklist and that I had until Monday to pay the deposit. I have not gotten an email yet. He mentioned I was one of the first to get called so I think they have several more phone calls to make today.

Good luck everyone!!!

Thank you!!! I received a phone call at 1130am, he said it would take about 2 hours for my portal to update with the accepted student checklist and that I had until Monday to pay the deposit. I have not gotten an email yet. He mentioned I was one of the first to get called so I think they have several more phone calls to make today.

Good luck everyone!!!
Congratulations!!!!!

Congrats to those accepted!!
I was also called this morning at 10:30 am :) I'm happy to say finally that I am accepted (started crying on the phone haha) !! Good luck to everyone else and hope everyone gets good news today :)

Congrats to those accepted!!
I was also called this morning at 10:30 am :) I'm happy to say finally that I am accepted (started crying on the phone haha) !! Good luck to everyone else and hope everyone gets good news today :)

Eek! Congratulations! I haven't gotten a call yet. I'm only moderately freaking out at this point.

Eek! Congratulations! I haven't gotten a call yet. I'm only moderately freaking out at this point.

I just put in my deposit! If it gives you any hope, everyone is given three days to accept the offer, after that they can offer more positions! I hope you get in!

Put my deposit in last night too! Now to find someone who wants to live off campus with me and my kitty :)

Do you think I should call them on Monday? Maybe I can tell them I have my transcripts ready if I am accepted.

Congrats to you both!! :) I know how nerve wrecking the wait is so I'm glad its over for the two of you!

Have you all joined the Facebook groups yet? I have found the conversations so helpful with answering my questions, and I am really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Would some of you who got in mind sharing your GPA and experience? I am trying to become a stronger candidate for next year

Uhhh hello. I'm a male who will be attending MW this fall.

If any of the current students see this, do you recommend us getting every single book that is on the list of required books? I know that sometimes professors don't really use the textbook too much and instead just stick mainly to their powerpoints, etc. I'm trying to save as much money as possible. Thanks in advance.

And to the above poster, my gpa (graduated college in 2013) was like a 3.5, last 45 gpa 3.8 or so. Did lots and lots of dairy research and shadowed different types of vets. Also was involved in clubs and all of that other stuff, studied abroad, etc. I was waitlisted at my IS school, chose MWU over some other schools because I decided to go somewhere I would really like (AZ) rather than somewhere that I would not like (Oklahoma State, KSU). Also, I am sick of the cold. I really don't know how I compare to other students that will be attending.

Uhhh hello. I'm a male who will be attending MW this fall.

If any of the current students see this, do you recommend us getting every single book that is on the list of required books? I know that sometimes professors don't really use the textbook too much and instead just stick mainly to their powerpoints, etc. I'm trying to save as much money as possible. Thanks in advance.

And to the above poster, my gpa (graduated college in 2013) was like a 3.5, last 45 gpa 3.8 or so. Did lots and lots of dairy research and shadowed different types of vets. Also was involved in clubs and all of that other stuff, studied abroad, etc. I was waitlisted at my IS school, chose MWU over some other schools because I decided to go somewhere I would really like (AZ) rather than somewhere that I would not like (Oklahoma State, KSU). Also, I am sick of the cold. I really don't know how I compare to other students that will be attending.

A lot of first years said they don't really use their textbooks unless they need supplemental information. There is a thread over on our FB page if you want to see several students' opinions. I am only planning on purchasing a few books off Amazon.

I totally understand you wanting to escape the cold. I'm from Minnesota, so this will be my first winter without snow!

Would some of you who got in mind sharing your GPA and experience? I am trying to become a stronger candidate for next year

My GPA wasn't the best (3.4ish), but I had several thousand hours of shadowing and animal related experience. I tried to have a variety, including equine and wildlife, but I didn't have much food animal experience other than a few ruminants. Also, I think a lot of the reason I got in was my interview, where I was able to really explain why my GPA was a bit lower than average and I got to really "prove" myself to the admissions committee.

My GPA wasn't the best (3.4ish), but I had several thousand hours of shadowing and animal related experience. I tried to have a variety, including equine and wildlife, but I didn't have much food animal experience other than a few ruminants. Also, I think a lot of the reason I got in was my interview, where I was able to really explain why my GPA was a bit lower than average and I got to really "prove" myself to the admissions committee.
Thank you for sharing! I really appreciate it!

Just got called off the waitlist! Ahhhh I am not good with decision-making....

Got called off the waitlist and have until Monday to decide! I committed to SGU in April, which is significantly less expensive. However, recent developments in for-profit schools meeting new requirements or lose title iv federal loans and the fact the financial aid councilor did not appear knowledgable in the law, I'm considering going to MWU. I loved the school and area but I'm nervous about finding housing and roommates and the cost. But I guess knowing I'd have access to federal loans is better than wondering if they will be taken away.

Got called off the waitlist and have until Monday to decide! I committed to SGU in April, which is significantly less expensive. However, recent developments in for-profit schools meeting new requirements or lose title iv federal loans and the fact the financial aid councilor did not appear knowledgable in the law, I'm considering going to MWU. I loved the school and area but I'm nervous about finding housing and roommates and the cost. But I guess knowing I'd have access to federal loans is better than wondering if they will be taken away.
From what I read, students entering for c/o 2019 will not be affected in anyway by the new laws, so I wouldn't let that alter your decision. The article I read said funding wouldn't be revoked unless the school didn't meet requirements for 3-4 years, then they would have to notify students of the change, but it wouldn't go through for another year. I also have a feeling that SGU and Ross will do whatever it takes to protect their students/income.

I will also say I just read an article by a journalist. If I were you I'd look up as much as I could about these new laws tomorrow. It's really important to make your decision based on facts and your lowest cost option.

Is anyone aware of how many spots are still open in the class?

Has anyone gotten an email about what books/supplies we need for class, or is it posted somewhere?

Got an invite to the first batch of interview on Jun 17 2015 for c/o 2019, second batch was done on Jun 24. The faculty informed us the decision will be emailed by Friday.... That was 2 hours ago. Anyone in these batches got any notifications?

I also interviewed Jun 17. I never received an email or phone call, but when I logged into my applicant portal Friday morning I had access to the accepted student checklist.

I also interviewed Jun 17. I never received an email or phone call, but when I logged into my applicant portal Friday morning I had access to the accepted student checklist.

I saw some changes on Friday too,but I am cautious and want to keep myself grounded. What do you see after you clicked on "Accepted Student Checklist"?

I saw some changes on Friday too,but I am cautious and want to keep myself grounded. What do you see after you clicked on "Accepted Student Checklist"?

I considered it official when I was able to read and sign the matriculation agreement and pay a deposit. The matriculation agreement reads as an acceptance letter.

Hey all, I'm strongly considering applying to Midwestern for the c/o 2020, but can anyone confirm or deny if they require research experience for admission??? From their website to me it sounds like they require 240 hours of veterinary, animal, OR research experience, but I saw a couple posts in another thread on here mentioning a research requirement. If that's the case, I'll have to take them off my list. :( I realize I could ask the school directly, but I hate to bother them with a dumb question if I'm just reading that sentence on their website wrong.

Hey all, I'm strongly considering applying to Midwestern for the c/o 2020, but can anyone confirm or deny if they require research experience for admission??? From their website to me it sounds like they require 240 hours of veterinary, animal, OR research experience, but I saw a couple posts in another thread on here mentioning a research requirement. If that's the case, I'll have to take them off my list. :( I realize I could ask the school directly, but I hate to bother them with a dumb question if I'm just reading that sentence on their website wrong.
I received early acceptance last cycle and I didn't have any research experience. It is a beautiful and state of the art school if you have never seen it before. I would recommend keeping it on your 'apply to' list.

I received early acceptance last cycle and I didn't have any research experience. It is a beautiful and state of the art school if you have never seen it before. I would recommend keeping it on your 'apply to' list.
That's a relief! I thought it would be weird for a school to require research experience. I did find elsewhere on their website the requirement is phrased as "Completion of a minimum of 240 hours (6 weeks) of animal or animal-related experience," so I have no idea what research requirement they were talking about in the other thread.