Army Military med help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yaboywoody

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enlisted in the army. I would like to go through the green to gold program and become an officer and be an anesthesiologist for the army. What courses does the army offer for this, and can I go to college for a doctorate while in the army for this?

Members don't see this ad.

The Army doesn't offer courses for that.

You need an undergraduate (bachelor) degree (4 yrs).
Then you need to go to medical school (4 yrs).
Then you need to do an internship and anesthesiology residency (4 yrs).

Green to gold gets you the bachelor degree, followed by a 4 year active duty obligation. That might be deferred for you to go to medical school via HPSP or USUHS but I don't know. Or they might want you for 4 years in the line before you can get the OK to to to medical school.

If you want to be a doctor in the military, your best path is probably
1) finish out your enlistment, getting some transferrable college credit while you're in
2) get out and finish up college AT A REAL UNIVERSITY using your GI Bill benefits
3) go to medical school either on loans or via HPSP/USUHS
4) complete the residency in the specialty of your choice
5) if you don't go HPSP/USUHS, the Army will still be there when your school/training is done, and you can join via FAP or direct accession

Reactions: 1 user
So my question is what would be my best path to take for this. I want to become an anesthesiologist, where I work is not really a concern (civilian or military). I thought my best route was the military since I was already in. I'm fairly young and have a wife and kid. My only education is high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my question is what would be my best path to take for this. I want to become an anesthesiologist, where I work is not really a concern (civilian or military). I thought my best route was the military since I was already in. I'm fairly young and have a wife and kid. My only education is high school.

I would invite you to read again the last part of pgg's excellent response to your initial query:

If you want to be a doctor in the military, your best path is probably
1) finish out your enlistment, getting some transferrable college credit while you're in
2) get out and finish up college AT A REAL UNIVERSITY using your GI Bill benefits
3) go to medical school either on loans or via HPSP/USUHS
4) complete the residency in the specialty of your choice
5) if you don't go HPSP/USUHS, the Army will still be there when your school/training is done, and you can join via FAP or direct accession

Dude, anesthesiology is not a course you can take on ATTRS. It takes 12+4+4+4 years of education. You have the first 12. You now need the other, significantly harder 12. See posts above.

Don't let the military delude you into believing that Online Podunk University is good enough. Like Pgg said, go to a real school. Unfortunately, this will probably require you to ETS first.

Again, the path starts with a bachelors degree. Be wary of piecing together a bachelor degree in chunks from community and online colleges. Being a competitive applicant for medical school means a solid degree from a 4-yr institution - transferring in with AA credit is OK, but the last 2 years at least should be at one reputable place.

It's very hard if not impossible for most people to get a med-school-worthy undergrad degree done while enlisted.

The right path is almost always going to be full time undergrad study at a good school. Doesn't have to be Ivy League; state schools are fine.

You might consider HSCP (Google it) which is sometimes a good option for people who are presently enlisted to get degrees.

The GI Bill was created so people in the military could get out and go to school to become (engineers, teachers, chemists, doctors, lawyers, whatever). That's probably your best path. You're looking for a special Army program to turn soldiers into doctors ... for the most part, the GI Bill is the program.