Military Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0daughterbeloved

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've seen quite a few of the older posts about psychology and military, but most only went to about last year. So, here goes. I am a female considering the Navy or Air Force. I don't have a great reason for picking either, other than a friend of mine recently joined the Navy and told me to go that route. I'd like to get a bit more feedback before making a big decision.

I understand that going into the service means being assigned where you are needed but my focus is to work with parent-child interaction and pre-deployment, deployment, and reunification effects on family. I imagine both Navy and Air Force have difficulties with that (although the articles I have read haven't specified the branch).

Here are my main questions:
1. Does anyone know what deployment is like for psychologists?
2. I am considering USU if I go in now or a civilian program and then being commissioned for my internship. Is there a third option I don't know about/haven't considered?
3. Does anyone have experience as a military psychologist?

Thanks for your help. I'm happy to hear advice or suggestions beyond my questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm going through the commissioning process now for the Navy. You can actually do it while in graduate school. It is called the HPSP. It is competitive and you have to apply a year in advance. You commission as an 0-1 during school and are promoted to 0-3 at internship. However it varies per service.

I recently got the HPSP scholarship for the Air Force. Deployment length may depend, likely about 6 months. You can't deploy until you are licensed (and for me, my "payback time" thus doesn't start until I get my license. Its a two year scholarship plus internship, so if you don't match to an Air Force internship, you continue to get the stipend (plus whatever your internship pays). If you match to an Air Force internship, you are active duty and receive captain's pay (o-3). While in school you are in school, you are a lieutenant (O-1) and on a reserve type status. Id be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also the Navy doesnt have just a 2 year plus internship. They have a 3+1, 2+1, and 1+1. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thank you both. Yes, more questions. xXIDaShizIXx, what year are you in the process. And Penguinbean, same questions if you don't mind. Also, which schools did you select and did you specialize? While in school do you do anything besides physical tests bi-yearly? Anything else I'm missing in my questions that was particular to you as military compared to your classmates during school?

well I am just about to start my third year in school, I finished all my paperwork and actually got commissioned in February. I got the scholarship this year, so it goes for the last two years of school. I am in a generalist program, and from my interview with the internship director at Wright Patt, he stressed that they (AF, don't know about other branches) prefer generalist students because they are more versatile (you can specialize later through post docs though). Even though he is a neuropsych, he said he would probably wouldn't select a student with that designation because its too narrow. Throughout the process they kept saying they wanted good generalist skills.

While in school, I don't have to do anything really, other than maintain grades/standing/etc. I don't actually have to do any PT tests until internship. I have to fill out a form with updated info once a year, basically saying everything is the same, and I have to talk to the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT, they have AF grad school programs) if there are any medical things that come up (that is where my billet is housed or owned or whatever) Since my program is year round, I won't have to do the active duty time somewhere (i'll be "active duty" at school for 45 days I believe). I don't think I have to do anything really different than my peers except there is AF oversight into my grades and performance (but for my school, the admin office does all that, I am not the first HPSP student they have had, and another peer from my cohort just commissioned today for the HPSP program).

Thank you both. Yes, more questions. xXIDaShizIXx, what year are you in the process. And Penguinbean, same questions if you don't mind. Also, which schools did you select and did you specialize? While in school do you do anything besides physical tests bi-yearly? Anything else I'm missing in my questions that was particular to you as military compared to your classmates during school?

1st year. No physicals except one during Officer Development School (ODS) which is your 45 days of active duty time. Its not bad, just slow. You walk in and talk to the recruiter, he or she will prescreen you. Then you will go to MEPS. You then pass that. If you need a waiver due to vision or something correctable, expect that process to take about a month. Then you will do your background check and finger prints. Then you will put together a packet with all your information, papers, identification, statement of purpose, etc. You will then be scheduled for an interview with several 0-4 plus service members in your area or via skype. Then a decision will be made around the beginning of the year if you got the scholarship or not. A slooooow process, but well worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
This is all very helpful. Thank you both for taking the time to help me with this process and decision. May I ask each of you as well, which schools you are attending?

Right now deployments have slowed significantly to Afghanistan. Its more clean up and the criteria for even allowing people to deploy or returning them early for medical/admin reasons is becoming much stricter. Navy tend to be sent IA with the Army. Army was pulling too, but seemed to still have more providers out there. Not sure about the AF. For Navy the deployments were about 7-8 months boots to ground and one month training. Navy also has OSCAR billets wher eyou are basically attached to a unit and can deploy with them. AF was 6 months boots to ground, not sure how long training was. Navy also deploys to ships--most of the carriers have a psychologist. Not sure where else AF deploys. Both have overseas options, that are not technically deployments.

2. I am considering USU if I go in now or a civilian program and then being commissioned for my internship. Is there a third option I don't know about/haven't considered?

Im a Navy psychiatrist and have no idea, but could ask if this is not answered here

See #2. I do work with a lot of psychologists and would be happy to talk more about Navy life and the quirks that come with it. Feel free to PM.

Thanks SuperSoccer19. Sorry for the long delay, I've been working on grad apps. I'd like to take you up on your offer to talk more about your experience.

Right now deployments have slowed significantly to Afghanistan. Its more clean up and the criteria for even allowing people to deploy or returning them early for medical/admin reasons is becoming much stricter. Navy tend to be sent IA with the Army. Army was pulling too, but seemed to still have more providers out there. Not sure about the AF. For Navy the deployments were about 7-8 months boots to ground and one month training. Navy also has OSCAR billets wher eyou are basically attached to a unit and can deploy with them. AF was 6 months boots to ground, not sure how long training was. Navy also deploys to ships--most of the carriers have a psychologist. Not sure where else AF deploys. Both have overseas options, that are not technically deployments.

Im a Navy psychiatrist and have no idea, but could ask if this is not answered here

See #2. I do work with a lot of psychologists and would be happy to talk more about Navy life and the quirks that come with it. Feel free to PM.

I'm going through the commissioning process now for the Navy. You can actually do it while in graduate school. It is called the HPSP. It is competitive and you have to apply a year in advance. You commission as an 0-1 during school and are promoted to 0-3 at internship. However it varies per service.
@xXIDaShizIXx congrats on Hpsp that is amazing! I am currently in the process. I joined the forum today to connect with others who have gone through the process with the navy, would you be willing to speak further/mentor? Thank you!!

@SuperSoccer19 I have in the process of applying to Hpsp through the navy, trying to learn more about military culture, would you be willing to connect? Thank you!!