Military Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any has done all of their rotations at a military hospital. I know the military will only pay for housing for two ADT's but I was wondering if a few people here might have decided to do all of their ADT's on a military base during clinical years.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if any has done all of their rotations at a military hospital. I know the military will only pay for housing for two ADT's but I was wondering if a few people here might have decided to do all of their ADT's on a military base during clinical years.

Thanks

Talk to your school and see if they will allow it. Your school would have to set up an MOU with the military hospital, and ensure that you can do all of your core clinicals there. These would be NADTs, so the military would not pay for housing, travel, or per diem for these rotations.

Talk to your school and see if they will allow it. Your school would have to set up an MOU with the military hospital, and ensure that you can do all of your core clinicals there. These would be NADTs, so the military would not pay for housing, travel, or per diem for these rotations.
It's approved by my school if I want it, I was just wondering if people have done it and how it worked out for them

Members don't see this ad :)
It's approved by my school if I want it, I was just wondering if people have done it and how it worked out for them

Hey I want to do the same thing. I'm a Navy HPSP. How did you get that approved and which military hospital are you approved to do this at?

Thanks.

Hey I want to do the same thing. I'm a Navy HPSP. How did you get that approved and which military hospital are you approved to do this at?

Thanks.
What I meant was that it is approved by my school if I want to do it but I doubt I will because of the cost associated with renting a place near one of these hospitals and probably being one of the only long term MS III's in the hospital. Although I might do it for 4th year

What I meant was that it is approved by my school if I want to do it but I doubt I will because of the cost associated with renting a place near one of these hospitals and probably being one of the only long term MS III's in the hospital. Although I might do it for 4th year

Which hospital are you thinking of? If you are Army, and interested in rotating at Womack, there is a group that provides rotating medical and PA students free housing in Fayetteville (SRAHEC).

Which hospital are you thinking of? If you are Army, and interested in rotating at Womack, there is a group that provides rotating medical and PA students free housing in Fayetteville (SRAHEC).
I was going to rotate at hospitals I'm thinking about doing my residency in. Since I'm not thinking family practice Womack wouldn't be a good choice for me. But thanks for the suggestion

I was going to rotate at hospitals I'm thinking about doing my residency in. Since I'm not thinking family practice Womack wouldn't be a good choice for me. But thanks for the suggestion

Since that's the only reason, you really don't want to do all of your rotations at military hospitals. Use your 2 ADTs for auditions, and maybe do one or two additional NADTs at other locations that have your specialty. Spend the rest of your third year in the civilian world. What is your desired specialty?

Since that's the only reason, you really don't want to do all of your rotations at military hospitals. Use your 2 ADTs for auditions, and maybe do one or two additional NADTs at other locations that have your specialty. Spend the rest of your third year in the civilian world. What is your desired specialty?
I was thinking ER but maybe gas as well. Not 100% sure yet

I was thinking ER but maybe gas as well. Not 100% sure yet

I was in the same boat as you, chose Anesthesiology; you should do mostly civilian rotations. Schedule your ADTs at BAMC/WRAMC/MAMC for EM/Anes/ICU, and maybe throw in one or two NADTs in some other, semi-related field at one of those places (if it can be done cheaply). The vast majority of people who are applying will also only have two months rotating in the military health system, so you will not be at a disadvantage if you do similarly.

So my question is this.

As a new 3rd year med student will military hospitals take you at the beginning of your 3rd year or will they shun you until halfway though and you actually know something about treating pts.

Thanks for the response

So my question is this.

As a new 3rd year med student will military hospitals take you at the beginning of your 3rd year or will they shun you until halfway though and you actually know something about treating pts.

Thanks for the response

USUHS students do all of their rotations at military hospitals, so they are fairly used to having clueless 3rd years. I actually have an HPSP 3rd year on my team right now.

Last edited:
USUHS students do all of their rotations at military hospitals, so they are fairly used to having clueless 3rd years. I actually have an HPSP 3rd year on my team right now.

Would you (or anyone else on this board) happen to have a list of where Navy med students could possibly do their rotations?

I'm also hoping to see a list of where all of the Navy residency programs are located. I know about the major Naval Medical Centers in Portsmouth, San Diego and Bethesda, but I'm wondering where else might be a possibility for residency. I'm sure the information is all over this forum, but I'm hoping someone can save me the time i'll spend looking for it. Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:
Would you (or anyone else on this board) happen to have a list of where Navy med students could possibly do their rotations?

I'm also hoping to see a list of where all of the Navy residency programs are located. I know about the major Naval Medical Centers in Portsmouth, San Diego and Bethesda, but I'm wondering where else might be a possibility for residency. I'm sure the information is all over this forum, but I'm hoping someone can save me the time i'll spend looking for it. Thanks ahead of time.

^^^^Make it happen. Anyone know where Navy residency spots are outside of Bethesda, San Diego and Portsmouth?

^^^^Make it happen. Anyone know where Navy residency spots are outside of Bethesda, San Diego and Portsmouth?

Unless you want to do family practice, those are the only locations. There are FP residencies in Camp Pendleton (Oceanside, CA), Camp Bremerton (Washington state), Camp Lejune (North Carolina) and there was one in Jacksonville, FL but I heard it was going away.

Again for any other specialty, you have to be at the big three

Unless you want to do family practice, those are the only locations. There are FP residencies in Camp Pendleton (Oceanside, CA), Camp Bremerton (Washington state), Camp Lejune (North Carolina) and there was one in Jacksonville, FL but I heard it was going away.

Again for any other specialty, you have to be at the big three

Did Pensacola FP close?