Military scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing? When do the results/sloppy seconds get released? Who do you call?

Just wondering in case there is something interesting that doesn't get filled.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I will help you bump this as I am also curious to hear about this. By the way nice use of two negative words on your title.

No such animal exists. Either you get a residency slot or you are thrown to the GMO wolves.

Members don't see this ad :)
No such animal exists. Either you get a residency slot or you are thrown to the GMO wolves.

That being said, a couple of years ago Radiology did not fill in the Army and it was opened up for more applications after the match came out. That's the only time I've heard of it happening though.

Last year if I remember right, psych and medicine didn't fill, and they had an open call after the match. Of course I'd rather take a foot to the junk than do either one, but it did happen.

I was just wondering if this is a yearly thing or if it was just once in a while.

You could always take a double foot in the junk and do the combined IM/psych residency. That doesn't seem to fill every year for whatever reason.

I certainly cannot imagine why....:idea:

Is there such a thing? When do the results/sloppy seconds get released? Who do you call?

Just wondering in case there is something interesting that doesn't get filled.

Thanks.

Military scramble = GMO dance

And that's based on . . . . ?

The truth is that residencies do occasionally fail to fill their slots. If that occurs, anyone is allowed to apply. There is no large official scramble b/c there usually aren't that many desirable slots that are open.

In the AF they were officially called "supplemental boards", to fill any left over unfilled slots after the JSGME. I distinctly recall one being held for EM many years ago.