Military Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trevorphilips

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen over the posts discontent with apathy of surgery skills in the military as a real problem. However, what is the quality of the military surgical residency themselves? Are any notoriously good/bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen over the posts discontent with apathy of surgery skills in the military as a real problem. However, what is the quality of the military surgical residency themselves? Are any notoriously good/bad?

Based on my 6 years as an USAF surgeon the last two of which were at a facility training surgical residents, I would have to say that they are not on par with most civilian training institutions. The program our residents went through was 90% civilian, and I think that gave them the majority of their experience. With all the problems facing military medicine, I hardly see how a military only residency would work. In fact I "think" most of them have to have their residents rotate to outside civilian facilities to get a full spectrum of training which in itself presents a number of problems. Clearly the USAF is going through serious problems with the closure of Wilford Hall, the decimation of Keesler, which I am not even sure at this point in time is even certified by the RRC.

Once again, its just an opportunity you close for yourself if you only have available what I would consider a questionable training program. That's if your even given that choice.

I don't think any military surgery program is notorious, with the possible exception of the AF residency at Keesler, where they matched residents into a program that failed its RRC site visit and is not accredited.

But all are severely challenged by the dowsizing of military medical centers. Case load and acuity are big, big problems. I only have personal experience with four military and two civilian training programs, but based on hearsay, it would seem that all are having issues. The AF has folded two of its programs into nearby civilian facilities and no longer has any accredited free-standing programs. The Army and Navy programs are still trying to make a go of it by doing a lot of outside civilian rotations.

If I had to guess, I would say that the combined Wilford Hall/BAMC surgery program may end up being the best in the military. The combined institution may actually have enough cases to train the four residents per year that are planned. they also do level I trauma and have a burn unit, so that may bring in some high-acuity cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
The TAMC general surgery program had 3 interns and 2 PGY-2s leave the program during the 2006-2007 academic year.

Read as much or as little into that as you'd like.

The TAMC general surgery program had 3 interns and 2 PGY-2s leave the program during the 2006-2007 academic year.

Read as much or as little into that as you'd like.

Why did they leave??