Minority-friendly schools and my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoNotYouLionel

Dancing on the ceiling.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What other than the HBCUs would you suggest (MD schools, please)?

Edit: I'll leave my stats off until I get my MCAT scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you bought this book yet?
Minority Student Opportunities in United States Medical Schools
https://members.aamc.org/eweb/Dynam..._prd_key=20A558E9-803F-4562-B529-F990362650E0

If not, I strongly recommend you do to help answer your question thoroughly.

Research experience: the point of your research experience in undergrad is to learn research skills, not to learn medicine. Directly medical related research is not more important than non-medically-related research, but patient contact experience and job shadowing has higher priority than any research. Please see front page SDN website article on undergraduate research.

Last edited:
I understand you completely about not wanting to be the 1 or 2 urm in a class. I was the only one in my high school and i'll never go back to a situation like that again.

One thing that helped me decide was going through the MSAR book and making a list of schools that had AT LEAST 10% URM in their student body excluding the HBCUs. then i narrowed it further based on location because i was funding my application process with the money saved from my summer job. I knew I wouldnt be able to afford any plane tickets to interview far away. then in the end, it came down to "would i actually go there?" school name didnt matter much to me compared to student body vibe and surrounding city.

The school I chose happened to have 14% URM.