Misdemeanor on Record... How do I explain this in application???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silver316

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of my application secondaries require to inform them of any criminal convictions I've ever had, including those expunged or set aside. I need to know how to phrase it so this one red flag won't keep me out of medical school. They ask for details but I think they may just want to know what was I charged with and what happened after. This is the final thing I need to fix for half a dozen secondaries and could REALLY use some help!!

I was charged with damage to personal property in the summer after my freshman year with the charges being labeled similar to "Damage to Property" and "Disorderly Conduct" due to the loud noise caused from a simulated bomb (aluminum foil and toilet bowl cleaner in a soda bottle). The damage was to the front porch of my childhood friend's home (it was a childish prank on a good friend). For that charge I was given a fine and community service to complete that following spring. Since then the conviction has been set aside and dismissed by by state. It is visible when the schools do the background check but does also state set aside/dismissed on the side of each conviction.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of my application secondaries require to inform them of any criminal convictions I've ever had, including those expunged or set aside. I need to know how to phrase it so this one red flag won't keep me out of medical school. They ask for details but I think they may just want to know what was I charged with and what happened after. This is the final thing I need to fix for half a dozen secondaries and could REALLY use some help!!

I was charged with damage to personal property in the summer after my freshman year with the charges being labeled similar to "Damage to Property" and "Disorderly Conduct" due to the loud noise caused from a simulated bomb (aluminum foil and toilet bowl cleaner in a soda bottle). The damage was to the front porch of my childhood friend's home (it was a childish prank on a good friend). For that charge I was given a fine and community service to complete that following spring. Since then the conviction has been set aside and dismissed by by state. It is visible when the schools do the background check but does also state set aside/dismissed on the side of each conviction.

You can't make this not a red flag. It is one. The attitude in which you respond to it will decide whether you get into medical school or not. You need to explain it as a extremely bad judgment on your part that you deeply regret. Not trying to miminalize like you do in this thread. Obviously someone called the cops on you and the cops thought it was serious enough to respond and the court decided to convict you. Therefore it is something, regardless of whether the state set it aside.

Reactions: 1 user
How would this sound:

In the summer after my freshman year I was the driver in an immature prank which caused damage to the property of my childhood friend. I was then charged with the misdemeanors "Damage to Property" and "Disorderly Conduct". I was given a fine and community service to complete that following spring. Since then the conviction has been set aside and dismissed by by state. I regret taking part in such a juvenile act and from that point have asserted to being a better example of the behavior expected of a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would this sound:

In the summer after my freshman year I was the driver in an immature prank which caused damage to the property of my childhood friend. I was then charged with the misdemeanors "Damage to Property" and "Disorderly Conduct". I was given a fine and community service to complete that following spring. Since then the conviction has been set aside and dismissed by by state. I regret taking part in such a juvenile act and from that point have asserted to being a better example of the behavior expected of a physician.

Why do you regret taking part in this? What have you done to remediate it? Explain, saying you want to be "a better example" is not the same as demonstrating how you have done so.

Reactions: 1 users
How would this sound:

Was this your childhood friend's property or their parents? I would not say driver (it sound like a bank robbery). You were a participant. Honestly as an ADCOM I would have more questions. Did you plead guilty or were you convicted in court? How much fine and community service did you do? Did you at least apologize to the property owners? Demonstrate somehow that you actually understood and experienced the severity of this crime.

Reactions: 1 user
*New Message Below*

Last edited:
Does this sound more appropriate?

In the summer after my freshman year I took part in an immature prank which caused damage to the property of my childhood friend. I pled guilty and was then charged with the misdemeanors "Damage to Property" and "Disorderly Conduct". I was given a fine of $250 and 50 hours of community service to complete that following spring. Since then the conviction has been set aside and dismissed by by state. I spoke to my friend and expressed my sincerest apologies for my actions. I regret taking part in such a juvenile act as it is not a good reflection of my character and is not the behavior expected of a physician. Since that point I have asserted to be more aware of all possible consequences of my actions and ensure I do not induce harm to anyone or anything.

Last edited:
Does this sound more appropriate?

In the summer after my freshman year I took part in an immature prank which caused damage to the property of my childhood friend. I pled guilty and was then charged with the misdemeanors "Damage to Property" and "Disorderly Conduct". I was given a fine of $250 and 50 hours of community service to complete that following spring. Since then the conviction has been set aside and dismissed by by state. I spoke to my friend and expressed my sincerest apologies for my actions. I regret taking part in such a juvenile act as it is not a good reflection of my character and is not the behavior expected of a physician. Since that point I have asserted to be more aware of all possible consequences of my actions and ensure I do not induce harm to anyone or anything.

You were charged and plead guilty, not the other way around. That's how the criminal justice system works. "Deeply regret" is a stronger tone. I would say you regret the action because of the damage and disturbance caused, not because it is not the behavior of a physician (you're a premed now, not even a medical student). Saying you regret it for the reasons you stated makes it sound like all you cared about was how it affected your medical school application. "induce harm" is an awkward phrase and once again sounds like you're deflecting blame from yourself. "Cause" is a more direct term, but the statement still lacks any punch without things you have done to atone for this incident.

Reactions: 1 users
Just explain it like you did here, be contrite, explain what you learned from it, and most importantly, OWN THIS.

Evidence of exemplary behavior and responsibility since then will make Adcom members say "we were all stupid once", instead of "this guy was a bleeping *****!"