missing prerequisites and mcat advice? Thank you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittymeg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a junior starting on my bachelors this upcoming fall 2015, I have a question regarding mcat testing and med school applications.

I have not finished my prereqs due to many reasons and I am basically missing organic I and Organic II. I am currently working on physics. Im planning to take organic I in spring 2016 and organic II in summer 2016. I have heard that medical school applications take at least a year and that the mcat contains alot of organic chem. Would I be able to apply for medical school and take the mcat without having a gap year.

Any advice is greatly appreciated this is a bit new to me. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well from what it seems like you are saying, I think that if you studied for the MCAT while taking orgo I and II, took the test in August right after completing those courses, you could apply without having to take a gap year. This assumes that you have every other part of your application in early and you're just waiting on the MCAT.

May be slightly risky depending on the rest of your application, but it is doable.

Thank you so much for answering my question. Would it be possible to be ready for the mcat (August) while taking organic 2? Assuming that all other prereqs have been completed?

Thank you so much for answering my question. Would it be possible to be ready for the mcat (August) while taking organic 2? Assuming that all other prereqs have been completed?

You do realize that biochemistry is on the MCAT too I hope? You should take that as well before studying for the MCAT, kittymeg. Seems like a gap year might be a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do realize that biochemistry is on the MCAT too I hope? You should take that as well before studying for the MCAT, kittymeg. Seems like a gap year might be a good idea.
Hmm... I had actually overlooked that. The reason why i'm was so concerned with the gap year was because of the age I'll be when I (Hopefully) get into medical school. Now im trying to tell myself that there is no rush. Im just afraid that at some point I wont make it overall, It is a bit overwhelming. I do feel as if I am behind with volunteering and shadowing especially important classes.

Hmm... I had actually overlooked that. The reason why i'm was so concerned with the gap year was because of the age I'll be when I (Hopefully) get into medical school. Now im trying to tell myself that there is no rush. Im just afraid that at some point I wont make it overall, It is a bit overwhelming. I do feel as if I am behind with volunteering and shadowing especially important classes.

No need to be in a hurry. Take the MCAT when you're ready, but only after you've finished your pre-reqs. Like you said, you have volunteering and shadowing you need to do as well. Make sure that you don't burn yourself out by taking a ton of pre-reqs in the summer to try to get done ASAP.