Mixed messages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pony46

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-calc. and calc. a necessity for the basic sciences?? I have heard no. Now I am hearing yes. Anyone??

I have taken statistics for the human sciences and Algebra (with no problem), still is there something other than reasoning skills in pre-calc and calc. that is needed for the sciences (other than physics)??

Also I heard that the M-CAT is mostly Calc. - IS this true??

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

im assuming you must be far removed from MCATs. Are you out of college and looking to get back into the medical track, or just starting out? Most medical schools require at least one semester of math (usually precalculus and probably statistics). Some schools require one year of math. Im not sure exactly what is statistics for the human sciences and algebra, but algebra, at least in my opinion, probably wont cut it for med school, because it is very basic math that most students have taken in high school. You will probably want to take a harder science math course, such as calculus and stats (biostats is an excellent choice- im not sure if human sciences stats is biostats).

If you take pre-calc as your math requirement, you might as well take calc, adcoms want to see students taking hard science level sciences, while pre-calc and algebra classes are usually designed for students with minimal math backgrounds intended to either fulfill basic math requirements at school or to get the basic background to go forward into the harder maths, of which adcoms look for.

MCAT does NOT have any calculus on it. It has basic calculation requirements, most of which can be done in your head for the physics section.

Thank you for the information-

I am just starting out in pre-med (this fall)and just graduated with a B.A. in Liberal arts. I know about Med school requirements basically but what I am curious about is whether you need the knowledge aquired in Pre Calc and Calc for Chem, Bio, or Org chem???Or is it just the reasoning skills that you practice in these classes that are needed??

I should have been more specific, sorry. :)

braluk said:
im assuming you must be far removed from MCATs. Are you out of college and looking to get back into the medical track, or just starting out? Most medical schools require at least one semester of math (usually precalculus and probably statistics). Some schools require one year of math. Im not sure exactly what is statistics for the human sciences and algebra, but algebra, at least in my opinion, probably wont cut it for med school, because it is very basic math that most students have taken in high school. You will probably want to take a harder science math course, such as calculus and stats (biostats is an excellent choice- im not sure if human sciences stats is biostats).

If you take pre-calc as your math requirement, you might as well take calc, adcoms want to see students taking hard science level sciences, while pre-calc and algebra classes are usually designed for students with minimal math backgrounds intended to either fulfill basic math requirements at school or to get the basic background to go forward into the harder maths, of which adcoms look for.

MCAT does NOT have any calculus on it. It has basic calculation requirements, most of which can be done in your head for the physics section.

Members don't see this ad :)
ohhh, no i cant really remember any case where you need to apply your knowledge from calculus into any section on the MCATs. there are cases in physics where they ask you for instantaneous speed and velocity, and total distance traveled or whatnot, which is what you learn in calculus from derivatives, integrals, antiderivates and reimann squares and whatnot, but its simple stuff that you learn to do with basic physics equations anyway.

The reason why those calculus classes are required, is not for the MCAT, but specifically is to demonstrate that you have an analytical mind. Science classes are great and all, but alot of science classes are conceptually based. Math is a strictly analytical type of class, which medical schools seek in its applicants. thats why students who also major in math, or computer sciences, in addition to finishing the basic requirements are looked at differently then purely science majors. Liberal arts majors also statistically have a higher acceptance rate then pure science majors. They want to see applicants who have a mindset that is not necessarily 100% science- analytical or otherwise. Calculus classes can help demonstrate that.

Just to be clear, a lot of med schools do require a calculus course in undergrad years.

silkworm said:
Just to be clear, a lot of med schools do require a calculus course in undergrad years.

Agree. Quite a few med schools specify having had calculus (not just "math"). But to answer the OPs question, you should be able to do all prereqs with algebra, unless you opt to take a physics course that uses calculus. Med schools don't seem to prefer calculus based physics over non-calc based physics.

Definately take calc. Without it your application will look weak. In addition to calc, make sure you have 2 semesters of English/composition. Surprisingly many schools require that too. I didnt realize that until I applied. Suck.

I agree with Law2doc, don't take the calc based science courses. They are usually for engeneers and are harder. The extra effort won't get you any farther than the normal classes.