MOCA article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with Dr. Teirstein 100%.

He is the founder of NBPAS, the new board certifying entity we discussed in this thread- http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nbpas-opt-out-of-moc.1116061/

I have spoken to him about MOCA. If any of you at major academic institutions would like to get involved, or if you know any "big name" academicians who would like to help, please PM me.

Meanwhile, NBPAS will be adding anesthesiology soon. All who support this effort should pressure their hospitals to accept NBPAS- here's a link to a form letter that can be used-
http://nbpas.org/sample-letter/

The only way to stop MOC and MOL is through a grassroots effort. We can make our voices heard. And if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Reactions: 1 users
The whole MOCA process is HORSE ****. This installation just proves how far out of touch academic anesthesiology and the ABA are to the concerns and the real practice of anesthesiology. It is truly laughable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh. No intention of abandoning MOC. I agree with the last line of the medscape article on the story today- too little too late.

I am cross-posting a comment from the Medscape article on this topic by a user there. I won't name the user here per the SDN TOS, but I will post a link for Medscape users. His comments, as a practicing Internest, are excellent and everyone should read them as they apply broadly to all of us:

Here they are in their entirety and unedited as well as the link.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/839178?src=wnl_edit_newsal

=======================================================

I'm not going back to ABIM ever again. I don't care what they do.

CME proves we are committed to life long learning. I do think my state requires a bit too little CME, so I routinely do about three times more than that. That's enough! It was good enough for our forbearers and it should be good enough for us!

Other proofs of competency?

If you are still practicing in today's primary care climate, meeting Obamacrap guidelines, etc., then you deserve a dang handshake and a pat on the back, not idiots claiming you should pay them to take a test to prove you know a dang thing! The hospitals should be thanking their lucky stars you haven't quit medicine or family practice, instead of falling in line with the ABIM myth that passing their test and stupid time consuming modules somehow makes you a better doc.

Who the Hades are the ABIM to set themselves up on a pedestal as the epitome of what doctors on the front lines should know? Is it true that the powers at the top don't even have to pass the recertification exam to run the ABIM? That smacks of the elitist government jerks who voted that everyone but themselves had to embrace Obamacare!

Knowing "everything" in internal medicine is no longer practical and I'd wager to say it's basically impossible. Seriously, can you honestly say you keep up with all the latest anti-immune "-mab" drugs or latest changes in cancer chemotherapy drugs? I seems like there's a new drug released every week. New guidelines of some type or another come out weekly too. Medicine knowledge is growing exponentially to the point where "knowing it all" is simply ridiculously impossible.

Knowing how to find what you need rapidly is becoming a lot more practical skill in the trenches. Doctors now have access to the absolute latest guidelines and recommendations with a few clicks on their smart phone, tablet or desktop PC.

Of course we should know emergency and urgency stuff that can save lives. Certainly we should have a decent broad fund of knowlegdge with expertise in our patients' most common problems. We should know enough to realize when we don't know something and be able to look it up. That's it.

That's all that is humanly possible while dealing with a daily big pile of paperwork to sign or deal with, insurance nurses and Pharm Ds second guessing almost every medical decision and or drug choice all the time based on a one-size-fits-all treatment tree, insurances sticking us with the job of calling a patient who "appears to not be taking" this or that drug, skim through 8 pages of home health care notes that are their because they have to document as much as we do now, wading through DME crime bosses trying to trick patients and doctors into ordering medical supplies they don't need, filling out long idiotic forms to get the supplies that are needed, trying to find creative ways of helping little old ladies (on a fixed income and smack dab in the middle of the medicare dumbnut hole) keep their meds going, filling out forms to get a vital but outrageously expensive drug for a needy patient for free, trying to figure which four drugs to keep for a Medicaid patient who needs all 18 drugs they're supposed to be on, writing letters to keep indigent patient's power on so they can use their nebulizer and oxygen and buy their cigarettes with their food stamps, learning and force using an EHR which was supposed to "speed up care" and "save lots of money" but does just the opposite, wading through tests and scans and consult notes, dealing with patient, pharmacy, and coleague phone calls, redoing prescriptions a zillion times because no pharmacy can ever seem to keep up with the fact that we wrote the patient's prescriptions with a year's worth of refills just two months ago, addressing patients questions to our patient portal because Obama says that's a better way to communicate than phone calls (it isn't) and forces us to force it on elderly patients who barely know what a computer is, reviewing hundreds of lab results coming in daily (many of them unnecessary but forced by one-size-fits-all guidelines that the insurances believe are Gospel, signing for an endless line of drug reps samples for your poorest patients, filling out stupid prior authorizations for meds and or tests that we shouldn't have to justify, stressing over and trying to get the ridiculous Obamacare crap done so you can keep Medicare from cutting your pay again, working longer hours for less pay trying to take care of the patients your colleges dropped when they quit primary care, living in a system that now punishes the doctor for patient's noncompliance, and the list goes on and on.

Is it any wonder that doctor's job satisfaction has dropped alarmingly to below 50% this year? Is it any wonder that an astonishing record number of doctors are calling it quits? Is it any wonder that we doctors stay stressed out, out of time, out of shape, overworked, burned out, and desperately looking for a way out of this profession? Is it any wonder that our profession has an extremely high depression and suicide rate and it's on the rise?

Testing how well we can take a stupid, timed, high-pressure exam, in my opinion, isn't a great way to determine whether or not a doctor is competant, and to be honest, it's simply outdated. It would make a lot more sense, if they're going to test doctors at all, to test how well they can research the latest guidelines on and open-computer test.

It's time to take back our profession, my friends! Together, we can tell the government and the hospitals where to go if we wanted. We could band together and make a few demands of our own.

We went into medicine and or family practice and or pediatrics to help people in our communities, not report to the world's largest, most expensive middleman in history, insurance companies/federal government. We used to love our jobs. The pay was nice, but that wasn't why we chose to be doctors. We chose to serve our fellow man in a noble profession because deep down, the vast majority of us are good hearted people simply wanting to ease the suffering of others. That should be enough of a test of our intentions and by default, our competency. If we chose to be a part of this extremely difficult field, it stand to reason that we would want to remain competent!

Let the threat of lawsuits stand, as they have for many years now, as the deterrent to doctor incompetency. Patients can access to the Internet to look up their doctor's diagnosis and treatment plan to see if he or she is following accepted guidelines.

I used to be able to sit down with my patients, look them in the eyes, love them and care for them as fellow human beings. Now I spend more time as a data entry technician than as a patient caregiver and I'm sick of it!

Well, enough is enough! Stand and fight for your PROFESSIONAL rights! Freeeeeeeeeeeeereedom! (Screamed at the top of my voice as Obama disembowels me).

Reactions: 4 users
"Defendant’s program is a moneymaking, self-enrichment scheme that reduces the supply of hospital-based physicians and decreases the time physicians have available for patients, in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act"

^^ 2nd page. Too funny, but true!

I am cross-posting a comment from the Medscape article on this topic by a user there. I won't name the user here per the SDN TOS, but I will post a link for Medscape users. His comments, as a practicing Internest, are excellent and everyone should read them as they apply broadly to all of us:

Here they are in their entirety and unedited as well as the link.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/839178?src=wnl_edit_newsal

=======================================================

I'm not going back to ABIM ever again. I don't care what they do.

I need to show this to every person I meet that wants to go into medicine.