MOCA minute questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YGK

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

2020, I missed answering about 40 questions because I simply forgot. I just realized now after my ABA recertification progress showing not participating. How do I fix that? Anyone else experienced this?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

2020, I missed answering about 40 questions because I simply forgot. I just realized now after my ABA recertification progress showing not participating. How do I fix that? Anyone else experienced this?

TIA

Sorry never bad this jssue before
Best to email the ABA to see what u need to do to rectify the situation. I doubt they will make u retest

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

TIA
All infractions can be rectified with enough grovelling and $$$.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

TIA
Be careful. I know a doc who had to re-take the test because they didn't take those questions seriously and didn't do them

Reactions: 1 user
Be careful. I know a doc who had to re-take the test because they didn't take those questions seriously and didn't do them
Can we just choose to take a test every 10 years, and be spared from this constant BS!!

The MOCA minute is truly the easiest and most painless way to go about it. I came across this thread this morning and was reminded about the questions. Did the whole quarters worth in 20 minutes while lying in bed.

Reactions: 5 users
which test? they retook basic, advanced, and oral because of some stuppid moca questions?

i missed it last year because i didnt realize i can only do 30 at a time. i was doing them on the very last day of the year...

They called it the ASPEX exam. I assume that's the advanced written one?

I called ABA, they told me unanswered questions will be considered wrong, but if you do well on other years it will even out and you will be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People gripe, and I get it, but I find doing MOCA Minute WAY easier than cramming for a test, even one that's only 10 years.

Nobody knows. That's the issue. :)
Im pretty sure you have to miss all of them which is so statistically unlikely that you would then be accused of cheating. 🤪

The only thing i can think of is that getting the question wrong does not necessarily strike against you but if you do not read the passage that tells you why you got it wrong may work against you. With AI and all, the aba knows how you engage with the app. So if you get ALL the questions wrong but take the time to read through the questions may not fail you but if you get all the questions right, but never read the explanations may work against you.

For me, the question isn't "do I like MOCA Minute," it's more like, "as compared to what?" If you believe there has to be some manner by which we demonstrate ongoing knowledge (I mean, you have to take a test periodically to keep your driver's license), then it's worth asking what that should look like and what it should cost. I'm not a schill for the ABA or anything, but, like I said above, MOCA Minute is way easier and, frankly, more educational, than a once-a-decade-test cram session. I find the "critiques," or explanations of incorrect answers generally useful, and the overall amount of effort and cost seems pretty small to me. I'd be interested to hear what people think would be better/easier/cheaper, but I don't think it's that useful or interesting to just say it's all BS and they shouldn't make us do it.

For me, the question isn't "do I like MOCA Minute," it's more like, "as compared to what?" If you believe there has to be some manner by which we demonstrate ongoing knowledge (I mean, you have to take a test periodically to keep your driver's licens\
You dont think there are other methods or measuring competency in the medical profession? Maybe credentialing every 2 years... Maybe oppe every six months. Those are 2 BIG ones for starters.

Honestly, no, I don't think periodic credentialing demonstrates knowledge. It seems like a pro forma attestation that you haven't been sued in awhile and that you're buddies think you're all right. I don't know what OPPE is.

Hi all,

TIA
I honestly think if you catch up on the questions it will change the status. I’m always somewhat behind on the questions and it says I’m participating. Make sure everything else in your profile is up to date like licenses and CME

People gripe, and I get it, but I find doing MOCA Minute WAY easier than cramming for a test, even one that's only 10 years.
Exactly this. I hope they change the PTE exam to this format. I probably learn better by continuously doing questions instead of cramming for one test

The MOCA minute is truly the easiest and most painless way to go about it. I came across this thread this morning and was reminded about the questions. Did the whole quarters worth in 20 minutes while lying in bed.
This same came up a while back and I made the simple suggestion….when you’re in that hours long case you can easily knock out about 10 questions before surfing the net and at the end of the week you’ll have an entire quarter finished

You dont think there are other methods or measuring competency in the medical profession? Maybe credentialing every 2 years... Maybe oppe every six months. Those are 2 BIG ones for starters.
No

The worst doctors I've ever known had no trouble with credentialing.

Even the ones referred to credentialing for egregious malpractice tend to get through that process fairly easily, OPPE or no.

To an extent, much of it is theater. But it lets us show the public and legislators that we're a responsible profession actively "policing ourselves" ... if they don't see that, they'll demand something else. (Hint: that's why we have the JC.) You think MOCA is bad, and it's annoying and tedious and needlessly expensive - imagine what the Honorable Senator "COVID isn't real" and Representative "why don't you reimplant ectopic pregnancies" would come up with if they decided they needed to get involved.

The q10year recert exam was expensive and painful. Annual MOCA minute is 1/10th as expensive and less painful.

Someone'll be along to tout NBPAS in a moment but it's not a viable option for most of us at this point.

Honestly, no, I don't think periodic credentialing demonstrates knowledge. It seems like a pro forma attestation that you haven't been sued in awhile and that you're buddies think you're all right. I don't know what OPPE is.
Ongoing Professional Peer Evaluation

Generally, chart review that involves a checklist. For anesthesiologists it's mostly complete garbage like
- did the person sign the chart
- did the person document an exam
- did the person document ASA status

With some attempts at including lesser garbage like meeting SCIP criteria such as
- did the person document active warming, or a temp >36 in the last 15 min of the procedure or first 30 min in PACU
- did the person document giving perioperative antibiotics, or an acceptable exception

No

The worst doctors I've ever known had no trouble with credentialing.

Even the ones referred to credentialing for egregious malpractice tend to get through that process fairly easily, OPPE or no.

To an extent, much of it is theater. But it lets us show the public and legislators that we're a responsible profession actively "policing ourselves" ... if they don't see that, they'll demand something else. (Hint: that's why we have the JC.) You think MOCA is bad, and it's annoying and tedious and needlessly expensive - imagine what the Honorable Senator "COVID isn't real" and Representative "why don't you reimplant ectopic pregnancies" would come up with if they decided they needed to get involved.

The q10year recert exam was expensive and painful. Annual MOCA minute is 1/10th as expensive and less painful.

Someone'll be along to tout NBPAS in a moment but it's not a viable option for most of us at this point.
You actually think me logging on to an app every few days to answer multiple choice questions accomplishes anything? If you are credentialing doctors who are dangerous you may have to re think your credentialing process

Moca minute is amazing. I actually think they should stop being cheap and give more questions. Like 200 a year. It does not take very long and gives some good knowledge.

The crnas get some sort of newsletter type packets. I wish we had those.

You actually think me logging on to an app every few days to answer multiple choice questions accomplishes anything?

Assuming you have a modicum of professional responsibility that you want to learn about new concepts or areas that you’re weak in, yes.

If you go into it with an attitude that it’s a complete waste of time and you already know everything there is to know about anesthesiology, then I suppose you can get through it without having learned anything. Ironically, that would be the exact person that should be learning new concepts since they probably practice with hubris and, like cRNas, “don’t know what they don’t know.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ongoing Professional Peer Evaluation

Generally, chart review that involves a checklist. For anesthesiologists it's mostly complete garbage like
- did the person sign the chart
- did the person document an exam
- did the person document ASA status

With some attempts at including lesser garbage like meeting SCIP criteria such as
- did the person document active warming, or a temp >36 in the last 15 min of the procedure or first 30 min in PACU
- did the person document giving perioperative antibiotics, or an acceptable exception
Which is so odd they suggested OPPE while in another thread arguing it’s a HIPPA violation admin is looking over their shoulders and checking their charts *Kanye shrug*

• Haha
You actually think me logging on to an app every few days to answer multiple choice questions accomplishes anything?

Like just about everything you write here, this question is a mixture of ridiculous, obtuse, and argumentative for the sake of argument.

And yes, I was explicit and very specific in what I think MOCA Minute accomplishes. I'll write it again. Maybe reading it twice will enhance comprehension:

1) Compared to the q10year recert exam it is less painful. I can do MOCA Minute any time, anywhere, without any kind of preparation or effort. I don't have to make an appointment to go to a Prometric or similar computer testing center to take a high stakes exam that demands preparation and effort.

2) It demonstrates to legislators and laypeople that we're enforcing some kind of standard for maintenance of board certification.

Unless you're one of those nuts who think board certification is meaningless, then yes, obviously, of course MOCA accomplishes something.

And while I do find some of the MOCA Minute questions a little pedantic and not clearly relevant to my practice, for the questions I do miss, the explanations are usually worth a quick read. I find learning things to be an appropriate use of my time.

If you are credentialing doctors who are dangerous you may have to re think your credentialing process

Please. Unless you're a complete fraud and not a doctor at all, then you've gone through the credentialing process at least once in your life. It's a bunch of attestations and other garbage, with a couple peer references[1], some verification of prior education, and some questions about past malpractice claims that are never/rarely actually disqualifying.

If a hospital needs help, they can get you "emergency" credentials in days. Credentialing very much depends on how much an institution needs help balanced against their risk tolerance. And here's a little secret: that process is mostly there to aid their eventual claim of non-negligence, to defend of the institution if they're named in a claim because of one of their credentialed physicians. "See, we did our due diligence, we didn't know he was a hack!"

[1] You think MOCA is a joke? Peer references are the ultimate joke! How stupid is it that we let people cherrypick one or two friends to say nice or not-negative things about them?

Like just about everything you write here, this question is a mixture of ridiculous, obtuse, and argumentative for the sake of argument.

And yes, I was explicit and very specific in what I think MOCA Minute accomplishes. I'll write it again. Maybe reading it twice will enhance comprehension:

1) Compared to the q10year recert exam it is less painful. I can do MOCA Minute any time, anywhere, without any kind of preparation or effort. I don't have to make an appointment to go to a Prometric or similar computer testing center to take a high stakes exam that demands preparation and effort.

2) It demonstrates to legislators and laypeople that we're enforcing some kind of standard for maintenance of board certification.

Unless you're one of those nuts who think board certification is meaningless, then yes, obviously, of course MOCA accomplishes something.

And while I do find some of the MOCA Minute questions a little pedantic and not clearly relevant to my practice, for the questions I do miss, the explanations are usually worth a quick read. I find learning things to be an appropriate use of my time.

Please. Unless you're a complete fraud and not a doctor at all, then you've gone through the credentialing process at least once in your life. It's a bunch of attestations and other garbage, with a couple peer references[1], some verification of prior education, and some questions about past malpractice claims that are never/rarely actually disqualifying.

If a hospital needs help, they can get you "emergency" credentials in days. Credentialing very much depends on how much an institution needs help balanced against their risk tolerance. And here's a little secret: that process is mostly there to aid their eventual claim of non-negligence, to defend of the institution if they're named in a claim because of one of their credentialed physicians. "See, we did our due diligence, we didn't know he was a hack!"

[1] You think MOCA is a joke? Peer references are the ultimate joke! How stupid is it that we let people cherrypick one or two friends to say nice or not-negative things about them?
If you think you doing MOCA minute from now to infinitum proves something to the general public about your competence you are just the person MOCA minute was designed for. Especially the 200 dollar fee. And I never endorsed OPPE to be a great tool either but it is prob a more sensitive tool even though it can be weaponized as I have witnessed. Thanks for you well- thought out professional comments.

what is the standard... how many questions do you need to get wrong?
Jim Halpert:
[after he's been given a demerit] Like, what does a demerit mean?

Dwight Schrute:
Let's put it this way. You do not want to receive three of those.

Jim Halpert:
Lay it on me.

Dwight Schrute:
Three demerits, and you'll receive a citation.

Jim Halpert:
Now, that sounds serious.

Dwight Schrute:
Oh, it is serious. Five citations, and you're looking at a violation. Four of those, and you'll receive a verbal warning. Keep it up, and you're looking at a written warning. Two of those, that will land you in a world of hurt, in the form of a disciplinary review, written up by me, and placed on the desk of my immediate superior.

Jim Halpert:
Which would be me.

Dwight Schrute:
That is correct.

Jim Halpert:
Okay. I want a copy on my desk by the end of the day or you will receive a full dessaggelation.

Dwight Schrute:
What's a dis... What's that?

Jim Halpert:
Oh, you don't want to know.

• Haha
Hi guys,
I don't live or practice in the US. Board certified and due to expire at the end of 2023. Wasn't going to to do the MOCA but have now changed my mind. Haven't really done anything for MOCA the first 8 years. Is it too late to do the MOCA now? Went on the website and they want me to pay for years 2016-2022 which means 1500 dollars. But will I be able to do all the questions to get so many CMEs? Though you can only get 60 CME per year or something.

Thanks!

Hi guys,
I don't live or practice in the US. Board certified and due to expire at the end of 2023. Wasn't going to to do the MOCA but have now changed my mind. Haven't really done anything for MOCA the first 8 years. Is it too late to do the MOCA now? Went on the website and they want me to pay for years 2016-2022 which means 1500 dollars. But will I be able to do all the questions to get so many CMEs? Though you can only get 60 CME per year or something.

Thanks!

I'd just email the ABA and ask for a clearly delineated outline of what you need to do.

Also, where do you live/practice?

New quarter for the MOCA Minute. Bust out a few during the morning coffee and poop break and you'll be done by the end of the week.

God I hate the moca questions so much. 30 questions in 3 months is just such an annoying, painful, laborious task. I hate the aba. I hate moca. I even hate mocha.

God I hate the moca questions so much. 30 questions in 3 months is just such an annoying, painful, laborious task. I hate the aba. I hate moca. I even hate mocha.
How do we make it stop?

Help me out here. What is a MOCA minute? I have a Get Out of Jail Free card since I was certified in 1991. Yes, it was better in the old days!

Help me out here. What is a MOCA minute? I have a Get Out of Jail Free card since I was certified in 1991. Yes, it was better in the old days!
Instead of taking a board exam every 10 years, we have to answer 30 questions every quarter. If you forget to do them, they count as wrong answers.

It's also $210/y for the privilege of being in MOCA. Despite computer glitches and wrong answers, I'm still passing. The questions are generally easy.