Mount Sinai Alternate List Movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KatKlink said:
so there are at least 11 of us, and no one has heard. they must not have accepted many people. agreed?

It's hard to tell from just the 10 of us, I think that they must have hundreds on their waitlist... they told me on the phone today that they're actually beginning to reject people from the waitlist also... scary.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah they have a big waitlist.....they said in the letter that it was a "favorable" position to be in...what a bunch of crock :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yeah, the fact that this topic has been viewed 2,100 times really says something about how many people are waiting and wondering...

Members don't see this ad :)
You'reCrazy said:
2005 Mt Sinai 2005 SDN Waitlisters

3bros
caique
KatKlink
klp14
melimi
Nakhrewali
purple_rainbow
wends
You'reCrazy

You guys can take me OFF that list. I was saying I'm applying right now and Sinai is my top choice. Good luck guys! :thumbup:

Fixing

3bros
caique
Chlost
KatKlink
klp14
melimi
purple_rainbow
scoops418
tic112
wends
You'reCrazy

I actually wrote a bunch of letter to Mt Sinai Dean of Ad. and went to the office (I needed to get an idea because I'm holding an acceptabce to USC and will need to make moving arrangements) but they basically gave me the run around too. However, they told me that they have accepted 7 ppl from the list so far --which is not a lot--and they said that it hasn't really been moving yet but they will take another look at the wait list this week--so some of us may hear soon. My friend actually ran into the Dean at some luncheon or something and the dean told him that Mt. Sinai is a lot less influenced by phone calls and letters than some other schools. So I guess the best thing is to wait it out. Good luck to all.

oh and you can add me to the list since Mt Sinai is my #1. The woman at the adm office said that last year they accepted only ~40ppl but the year before that close to 80 got in from wait list. Also, from what i hear this year's accepted class is above average in their stats (they accepted 4 fullbright scholars!)--which may be good news for us waiting because those ppl might drop sinai soon.

yellowcat322 said:
oh and you can add me to the list since Mt Sinai is my #1. The woman at the adm office said that last year they accepted only ~40ppl but the year before that close to 80 got in from wait list. Also, from what i hear this year's accepted class is above average in their stats (they accepted 4 fullbright scholars!)--which may be good news for us waiting because those ppl might drop sinai soon.

adding yellow

3bros
caique
Chlost
KatKlink
klp14
melimi
purple_rainbow
scoops418
tic112
wends
yellowcat322
You'reCrazy

yellowcat322 said:
I actually wrote a bunch of letter to Mt Sinai Dean of Ad. and went to the office (I needed to get an idea because I'm holding an acceptabce to USC and will need to make moving arrangements) but they basically gave me the run around too. However, they told me that they have accepted 7 ppl from the list so far --which is not a lot--and they said that it hasn't really been moving yet but they will take another look at the wait list this week--so some of us may hear soon. My friend actually ran into the Dean at some luncheon or something and the dean told him that Mt. Sinai is a lot less influenced by phone calls and letters than some other schools. So I guess the best thing is to wait it out. Good luck to all.
I know that the assistant dean of admissions is Dean Barnett, but who is the actual dean of admissions? i cannot find this on the website...

Chlost said:

Anyone know if they will tell us where we are on the ranked list?

Chlost said:
Anyone know if they will tell us where we are on the ranked list?
no, they won't tell us.

actually caique i was confused too at first; but I called the office and they said that Barnett is the guys to adress all admission related issues to; he's actually not the assistant dean but the associate dean--i think they have associate deans for all different functions and Barnett is in charge of admissions. I tried e-mailing him to get an idea of where I stand but he wasn't very helpful in the end--just redirected me to the general staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
yellowcat322 said:
actually caique i was confused too at first; but I called the office and they said that Barnett is the guys to adress all admission related issues to; he's actually not the assistant dean but the associate dean--i think they have associate deans for all different functions and Barnett is in charge of admissions. I tried e-mailing him to get an idea of where I stand but he wasn't very helpful in the end--just redirected me to the general staff.

if you want to contact someone, i would suggest sending an e-mail directly to kellian bailey.

Adding myself. I am in at OHSU and planning to attend there, but am not removing myself from the Sinai waitlist yet--I would consider them if I got accepted (true P/F for first 2 years and NYC are big pluses, but then again I really love OHSU and Portland...it doesn't look like they're taking a lot of people off the list anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens!).

3bros
caique
Chlost
KatKlink
klp14
melimi
Mistress S
purple_rainbow
scoops418
tic112
wends
yellowcat322
You'reCrazy

dianamd said:
if you want to contact someone, i would suggest sending an e-mail directly to kellian bailey.

i emailed her and she never wrote back. has anyone had any luck getting info out of her?

actually I spoke with Bailey on the phone and then when I sent an email to Barnette she was the one that responded; but both times I spoke with her she really didn't give me any info--just the general "you're a good candidate that we MAY take" response. She said that last year they took someone the day before class started -so its not over till its over

ISABELLE22 said:
Add me as well.

I refuse to believe the list is moving if this many SDNers are on it and there isn't any movement, but oh well, good luck to all of us

3bros
caique
Chlost
ISABELLE22
KatKlink
klp14
melimi
Mistress S
purple_rainbow
scoops418
tic112
wends
yellowcat322
You'reCrazy

was waitlisted at Sinai and just got the rejection letter today. Oh well...

smileyguy77 said:
was waitlisted at Sinai and just got the rejection letter today. Oh well...
me too, :( , good luck to everyone still waiting

(taking myself off the list)

3bros
caique
Chlost
ISABELLE22
KatKlink
klp14
melimi
Mistress S
purple_rainbow
scoops418
tic112
wends
yellowcat322

im still waiting too,

so the list is moving... but in the wrong direction!!

You'reCrazy said:
me too, :( , good luck to everyone still waiting

(taking myself off the list)

Hey sorry to hear about that; but hey, maybe if i'll get in to Mt Sinai you'll be able to get my spot at USC and it will work out for both of us. Cross your fingers:) Good luck with your other wait lists

Droppin' like flies! You can take me off the list, I got the letter yesterday. OHSU it is! I found out 2 days before getting the Sinai letter that I am getting a scholarship at OHSU, so it all worked out--I wouldn't have turned that down anyway. Good luck to all those still waiting!

Hey, first time poster, I have recieved an email a way back like some poster here stating that I'm still active on the waitlist but has there been any NEWS since? I would love to be at Sinai. Thanks

I was notified that I was still active on the list as well but will most likely withdraw either way.

Hmm...I never got "you are active on our waitlist" email. Does that mean rejection is coming sooner or later? :oops:

No... I called the office and asked them about the email. They said you'll only get it if you request your application status. So, not everyone on the list gets it...

caique said:
No... I called the office and asked them about the email. They said you'll only get it if you request your application status. So, not everyone on the list gets it...

i didnt request my application status and i got the email
i havent talked to them, emailed, called, or anything since the interview

I'm adding myself to the list as well.

3bros
bluedaisy80
caique
Chlost
ISABELLE22
KatKlink
klp14
melimi
Mistress S
purple_rainbow
scoops418
tic112
wends
yellowcat322

You'reCrazy said:
I refuse to believe the list is moving if this many SDNers are on it and there isn't any movement, but oh well, good luck to all of us

3bros
bluedaisy80
caique
Chlost
ISABELLE22
KatKlink
klp14
melimi
Mistress S
purple_rainbow
scoops418
tic112
wends
yellowcat322
You'reCrazy

I'm getting a little annoyed with the runaround the admissions office is giving us. Why did some people get an e-mail and others didn't? It seems like the office can't really give a straight answer. I wish they wouldn't be so stiff and formal and give us a vague idea of our chances - especially since some of us have to start making moving arrangements.

I know, it's frustrating...
If you did not receive the email, I think the best thing to do at this point is to just call the admissions office and make sure you're active on the waiting list. I never got the email, and I'm still active on the waitlist... so it IS possible...

caique said:
I know, it's frustrating...
If you did not receive the email, I think the best thing to do at this point is to just call the admissions office and make sure you're active on the waiting list. I never got the email, and I'm still active on the waitlist... so it IS possible...

Actually I just spoke with the admissions office and they said that there is a disctinction between ppl who received an e-mail and those who didn't but that it's confidential. So I gather that mean my chances are pretty low; oh well, USC here I come :)

yellowcat322 said:
Actually I just spoke with the admissions office and they said that there is a disctinction between ppl who received an e-mail and those who didn't but that it's confidential. So I gather that mean my chances are pretty low; oh well, USC here I come :)

well, i called today and got the same answer caique got: that only those who emailed them about their status would get that email. the email wouldn't come unprompted. i did not get the email, but i'm still active.

well that seems a little fishy to me; melime got the e-mail but never contacted the school and I didn't get the e-mail even though I asked for updates several times; plus the woman I spoke to seemed kind of evasive and said that the e-mail was sent to a select group of ppl; although she did say that I am still active anyway and not to worry

I agree with you yellowcat. I didn't get the e-mail either, but when I called they told me that people had been cut from the list, but not me, so that I shouldn't worry. But how can I NOT worry? Grrr... I too have to make moving plans and it would be nice to know where I'm going.

yellowcat322 said:
well that seems a little fishy to me; melime got the e-mail but never contacted the school and I didn't get the e-mail even though I asked for updates several times; plus the woman I spoke to seemed kind of evasive and said that the e-mail was sent to a select group of ppl; although she did say that I am still active anyway and not to worry

can anyone who recieved the email please post the contents here? thank you in advance for sharing.

purple_rainbow said:
can anyone who recieved the email please post the contents here? thank you in advance for sharing.

This is just a brief note to let you know that you are still very much active on our wait list, and to thank you for your continued interest in Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

If you have any updates to share with us, i.e., new research work, volunteer activity, or published material, please feel free to send them to us.

Again, thank you for your continued interest in our medical school.

Sincerely,
Kim McCollum
Admissions Coordinator
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
(212)241-6696

Well, I certainly stirred up a debate with my comment. I recieved the email without ever asking for my status. Good Luck everyone :luck:

yellowcat322 said:

Aw, don't give up hope yet... maybe the distinction is something as simple as people who have not updated vs. people who have sent updates. You never know... and congrats on USC, that's fantastic! I try to forget the frustration and think of everything as whatever happens, there's a lot to look forward to... :)

I call them today asking when the latest date we'd hear back about acceptance would be, and they said around August 6 (right before registration). Hope that helps anyone who was wondering.

caique said:
Aw, don't give up hope yet... maybe the distinction is something as simple as people who have not updated vs. people who have sent updates. You never know...

I agree with Caique. It might just be that simple... a difference of updating and not updating? Maybe they just email the people who both are good candidates AND have not updated. Make sense, no? Anyhow, we'll never really know their reasons.

Meanwhile, if anybody happens to get a second email from them, could you let us know? Good luck everybody.

tiamoth said:
I agree with Caique. It might just be that simple... a difference of updating and not updating? Maybe they just email the people who both are good candidates AND have not updated. Make sense, no? Anyhow, we'll never really know their reasons.

Meanwhile, if anybody happens to get a second email from them, could you let us know? Good luck everybody.

that's true. it may not mean much; i just don't like the fact that they can't give us a clearer answer, especially since it's getting to be crunch time and most ppl would appreciate all the info they could get. I am pretty happy with USC - i loved the school when I interviewed there; but it would be a big bonus to stay in New York. But if it doesn't work it doesn't work. There are ppl on the list who need this more than I do so good luck to all of those. :luck:

you can add me to the list too. where else are people planning on going if not sinai?

SK2005 said:
you can add me to the list too. where else are people planning on going if not sinai?

I'm waiting for Sinai but if not, I'm going to Tufts.

BubbleWand1 said:
I'm waiting for Sinai but if not, I'm going to Tufts.

i think i am too! i'm deciding between tufts and u. rochester

it would be great to be in nyc but if not, i'm off to case western

anyone try calling the admissions office outside of their 2-4, Monday and Wednesday only times to check on their status? oh, and can add me to the waiting