Mount Sinai Humanities and Medicine Program '06-'07 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staticsoliloquy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Just wanted to see who else on here is applying to the known Mt. Sinai Early Acceptance Program. What are your stats? Where do you go to school? Would you go if you were accepted?

Here are mine:
School: Stanford University, Class of 2009 (got accepted into MIT, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Berkeley, Williams, waitlisted at Yale)
Major: Interdisciplinary Studies in Humanities
GPA: 3.63 overall, 3.78 science
SAT: 1360
EC/Award: Bill Gates Milennium Scholar and a bunch of other, lesser known recognition, ER Medical Interpreter (Vietnamese), EMT-in-training, 3+ years of research (started end of soph yr in hs)

Do you think I have a chance at scoring an interview? I would jump for joy if I could make it to that stage.

Members don't see this ad.

An mcat score not required for this?

i do not think they will care about your SAT score.

edit: nevermind early acceptance is probably a different call

Members don't see this ad :)
An mcat score not required for this?

Not at all - that's why I love it. It's for sophomore only. What is Mount Sinai's reputation? Someone on SDN says that it's better than NYU and Columbia but not as good as Cornell. What have you guys heard about Mt. Sinai?

Hi, first post! I thought this thread could be revived maybe, because interviews are starting to happen.

I have my interview for the H&M program this Monday - anyone else?

I had a friend in college that did it and think he's out practicing now. I have another friend who went to med school at Sinai and now is doing an IM residency there. She is brilliant and seems very satisfied with her education. Also, one of my cousins is an attending there (just found out he's my friend's attending! Small world); he also loves it.

that's so good to know! i'm pretty in love with mt. sinai, i just hope they take me!

any ideas on acceptance rates? especially to the Humanities and Medicine program... How many people do they call for interviews?

I'm applying for this year. They said that this year there were 220 applicants, they interviewed 84, and will accept 25-30

Not at all - that's why I love it. It's for sophomore only. What is Mount Sinai's reputation? Someone on SDN says that it's better than NYU and Columbia but not as good as Cornell. What have you guys heard about Mt. Sinai?

Isn't Mount Sinai linked to NYU? My secondary invite seemed to say so. Jwing.

What is Mount Sinai's reputation? Someone on SDN says that it's better than NYU and Columbia but not as good as Cornell.
Mt Sinai definitely has a great rep in New York but for what it's worth, if you go by the US News Rankings technically it's more like Mt Sinai is about equal to NYU but not as good as Columbia or Cornell.

Isn't Mount Sinai linked to NYU? My secondary invite seemed to say so. Jwing.
As far as I know they are two completely different schools. They might share some teaching hospitals like Cornell and Columbia do, but I doubt it.

So... who else is not going to be able to sleep until December 19th...??

::: raises hand dutifully :::

although i was told that we'd hear between december 19 and january 3rd... so i'm not really holding my breath

absolutely in love with both the school and the program!

do please pm me if you want to talk, the 'big brother is watching' aspect of these forums kind of freaks me out... maybe we could all make a yahoo group or something?

hey all, i applied 2 yrs ago to EAP, but didn't get interviewed..so good luck to all applying. my gpa as a freshie and soph was not too great, but I really liked mt. sinai. hindsight tells me to say it was fate since i'm glad I'm no longer premed.

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck w/ sinai its a cool school one of my friends is a 1st year med student there now she loves it

just to clarify a few points, NYU and Mt. Sinai are separate med schools, several years ago Sinai changed its affiliation from CUNY to NYU in an attempt to create a network similar to the Columbia/Cornell thing, but it didnt really work and now the relationship is nothing but a technicality.

also, for school rankings some people think NIH research funding is a good indicator, Sinai gets more NIH money than Cornell but not as much as Columbia

good luck w/ sinai its a cool school one of my friends is a 1st year med student there now she loves it

just to clarify a few points, NYU and Mt. Sinai are separate med schools, several years ago Sinai changed its affiliation from CUNY to NYU in an attempt to create a network similar to the Columbia/Cornell thing, but it didnt really work and now the relationship is nothing but a technicality.

also, for school rankings some people think NIH research funding is a good indicator, Sinai gets more NIH money than Cornell but not as much as Columbia

You have to take into account the size of the school. JHU is much smaller than HMS, and it gets less in total NIH funding, but JHU gets way more per faculty.

I don't know about Columbia/Cornell/Sinai, but I imagine you have to take into account the size.

Hey guys,

I've started a Yahoo group for applicants to this program. It's private, so hopefully we'll be able to discuss issues that not just anyone browsing the web can just see. PM me if you want to join.

Also... not to be lame :rolleyes: but if you could also include who sent you the confirmation email when your application was complete, that would be awesome- just as another security precaution.

Oh haha, sorry, forgot to mention that you have to include your email address so I can invite you!!

Join or die! Haha...

But for serious, it would be a cool way to find out more about each other (some of us will be classmates for the next 6 years or more) and also to get information about interviews, different dates we've been told for when to expect notification, etc.

Bumpity bump.

I *know* some of you had interviews in the past few weeks...

...and I'm sure there are more lurkers out there.

And the waiting game continues :oops:

I wonder how the OP got into such high ranking universities with a 1360. My knowledge of the SAT = college admission criteria is most flaky. I would assume that for the norm would be at least a 1450 for those schools? Have things changed since I took the SAT back in the day?

Hey,

Just wanted to see who else on here is applying to the known Mt. Sinai Early Acceptance Program. What are your stats? Where do you go to school? Would you go if you were accepted?

Here are mine:
School: Stanford University, Class of 2009 (got accepted into MIT, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Berkeley, Williams, waitlisted at Yale)
Major: Interdisciplinary Studies in Humanities
GPA: 3.63 overall, 3.78 science
SAT: 1360
EC/Award: Bill Gates Milennium Scholar and a bunch of other, lesser known recognition, ER Medical Interpreter (Vietnamese), EMT-in-training, 3+ years of research (started end of soph yr in hs)

Do you think I have a chance at scoring an interview? I would jump for joy if I could make it to that stage.

You have to be VERY heavy in the humanities (at least that's what I was told when I got rejected from this program a few years back...ha ha..I was "too sciency"). What that means, I don't know. good luck.

I wonder how the OP got into such high ranking universities with a 1360. My knowledge of the SAT = college admission criteria is most flaky. I would assume that for the norm would be at least a 1450 for those schools? Have things changed since I took the SAT back in the day?
No that was my impression as well. But I'm kinda old. :laugh:

You have to be VERY heavy in the humanities (at least that's what I was told when I got rejected from this program a few years back...ha ha..I was "too sciency"). What that means, I don't know. good luck.

Sorry to hear that :thumbdown:

But, of course, questions: were you rejected pre- or post-interview? If post, when were you notified? Did you ask them why you were rejected or did they straight-up tell you? What science did you have when you applied?

Ok... bundle o' nerves here. :oops:

Oh, and if you don't want to spill everything here, please PM me? ::Thanks in Advance::

Sorry to hear that :thumbdown:

But, of course, questions: were you rejected pre- or post-interview? If post, when were you notified? Did you ask them why you were rejected or did they straight-up tell you? What science did you have when you applied?

Ok... bundle o' nerves here. :oops:
Oh, and if you don't want to spill everything here, please PM me? ::Thanks in Advance::

This was a pre-interview rejection, hence why I was so upset at the time (I was not used to getting rejected by anything then, now, however is a different story hahah). I guess I didn't really understand what they were looking for in applicants before applying. But when I told my premed advisor later on, she didn't seem surprised, and said that you needed to be very heavy in humanities, and less so in science - I was definitely heavier in science, having taken at least 2 science classes with lab each semester, and the bulk of my activites being research (I got an NSF grant my sophomore year to do research, so it was basically my life).

But if you have already been granted an interview, you should have what they're looking for already, and now its just up to wooing them with your personality.

and now its just up to wooing them with your personality.

really??:confused: because i know there were 84 interviewed this year. if they're say, generous and accept 30, that's still a 36% acceptance rate.... which means that 54 people won't get in!!1

I know it does no good wringing your hands and worrying now, but for some reason I just can't help it, I'm like a bystander drawn to a car accident... except I'm the wreck. Will anyone else who has applied and is nervous please PLEASE speak up and let me know y'all are out there too??/

EDIT: just saw from another thread that there might be more interviews granted/they might run into january? Anybody have any more information of verification of this?

It goes to show you that these colleges look for more than just scores. You're right - my SAT score does suck. But my SAT II scores were 750 in Math IIC, 740 in Molecular Biology, and 720 in Writing and U.S. History. They're pretty mediocre, so again, there were more to my application than statistics.

The SAT hasn't changed when I took it.

I guess that means I should be expecting a rejection come January.

really??:confused: because i know there were 84 interviewed this year. if they're say, generous and accept 30, that's still a 36% acceptance rate.... which means that 54 people won't get in!!1

I know it does no good wringing your hands and worrying now, but for some reason I just can't help it, I'm like a bystander drawn to a car accident... except I'm the wreck. Will anyone else who has applied and is nervous please PLEASE speak up and let me know y'all are out there too??/

Look at it this way, 36% >>>>> 5%

The attitude I've been keeping in mind is that my resume has already gotten me a foot in the door. That's why I was blessed with an interview. The interview judges your personality and the intellectual diversity you can contribute to the school. If I get rejected, it means I wasn't a fit for the school, which means I would have been unhappy had I gone there. So, all in all, no matter what happens, it will be a win-win situation.

About the "heavy in the science," comment, I asked my interviewer, "I hope you guys don't penalized me for having four years of research under my belt." He replied, "No, if we didn't see something in you, we wouldn't have asked you to fly all the way from California." Then again, I did do this program at my school called Structured Liberal Education. It's equivalent to Yale's Directed Study and Columbia's Core. We concentrate on texts from ancient Greece, Japan, and India to works of fiction, political theory, and social criticism of the modern world.

bump... thanks for the post, ss. i agree, i think it's a good philosophy to have.

Seriously though, where IS EVERYONE??? i'm on break and i'm sooo bored and nobody is around. way to have some solidarity...

Bump...

Also, I just took on a major leadership role in an organization where I had already had a position. I'm thinking that, although this is a big deal in the org, it wouldn't necessarily have much of an effect because I'm already a leader?

Should I notify Mt. Sinai? If so, how? Letter, email? (Letter probably wouldn't get there in time for the committee meeting on the 19th.)

Hmmm... well, while it couldn't hurt, I don't think it will really be much help either. Like you said, if you've already shown leadership in this field, I somehow don't think the conversation will go like:

Adcom1: Well I really like Anonim but I'm not sure....
Adcom2: Hey, look! This just came in... she's now a leader in X Club!
Adcom1: Well, this certainly resolves the question of whether she's right for our program or not! A real leader-let's take her!

A little exaggerated to be sure, but I'd save it up for when it counts, like if you get put on a waitlist (IS there even a waitlist? I have no clue). Then you can send in your (presumably) amazing fall term grades AND this new leadership position...but you should do what you think is best.

Thanks for the input, BananaShake! I think you're right, I'm just going to let it go. I doubt there's a waitlist? I mean, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't accept this... "Hmm.... I just realized that I *really* want to take physics and orgo and the MCAT!" Hehe.

Anyways, everyone send positive thoughts for Tuesday. Big day! Hearing between then and January 3rd, or so we were told. Who knows... que sera, sera.

Sorry to keep you guys lonely. I finished my Bio final on Thursday!

Haha, I think I remember you from CC days, staticsoliloquy!

Are we really the only 3 on here applying for this program? Wow. Hope we all get in! :love:

:luck:

College Confidential?? Oh man, this is starting to feel incestuous...

AMEN honestly, truly, I hope everyone who is posting here gets in... at the very least we deserve it for being so obsessed that we're on a med school forum 2 years early!!!

So.. where do you think the committee is as of now...?

Haha, probably asleep (the faculty) or studying (the students!)

Bananashake - if you're on right now, IM me, I lost your SN!

Incestuous is right. I cannot believe that we went from CC to SDN. hahaha.

But. I'm not surprise. =)

I heard back from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute today and I got into their EXROP program. Right now, I can't decide between between Manhattan in the summer or Boston/Cambridge in the summer. They're both pretty damn humid and sticky.

Congrats!!!! Well, that would definitely be a super tough choice to make. On the bright side, the Hamptons/Cape Cod are only a couple hours drive away...

So.... the big meeting is tomorrow. Can anyone else say SCARY?? :eek:

Ahh, it's on the 19th? I thought it was on the 21st.

Is anyone else tearing out their hair right now??

Is anyone else tearing out their hair right now??

hey i can't believe how many posts this forum has gotten! cool!

Yeah i'm tearing my hair out, mostly cuz i can't remember the dates they told us... Didn't they say that rejections get mailed around the 20th/21st, and that acceptances or sent out later? This doesn't make much sense to me, but that's what i remember...

urg.

hey everyone, i have real information!

I just got off the phone with Dr. Rifkin.

She said they might be sending out emails today (21st), depending on how fast they can get them out.

Also, rejections/acceptances are all being sent at the same time.

So... i'm guessing today! or mayyybe tomorrow (although how long does it take to send an email?)

Good luck everyone, but remember - this is not our only option. We'll be doctors no matter what!

Wow, thanks so much for taking the initiative and posting some REAL information, ero! Best best best of luck to everyone. Will post more when I hear...