Movie set medic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyCat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently EMT-B certified and I am starting a post-bacc program in the fall. I want to be an ED doc. My question is: does anyone know anything about being a set medic (movie sets)? I've heard it pays well but I don't know anything else about it. Do you think it would be helpful on a med school app? Or am I better off just being on a rig or trying to get an ER tech job?

Members don't see this ad.

My personal opinion is that an ER tech job would be more useful in terms of medical school applications. The question would be, was the clinical experience something that instilled in the applicant what it's like to be a physician? Working on a movie set (or somewhere where physicians aren't working) or in the back of a rig doesn't let you see what the daily life of a physician is.

Volunteering in the ER/Trauma center, I have seen many pre-med ER techs that are able to assist physicians with procedures. That's more valuable than simple shadowing, and gives you time to chat and get to know residents and attendings.

I can't recall the title of the non-fiction book I read this in, but the author described set medic work as a lot of whiny "I wanna be a star" people thinking that you're there to get them chamomile tea and massages. Moms and Dads having a coronary because Junior got a sliver and they're terrified it'll scar him horribly. Man, I wish I had that book still.... Something along the lines of those "true stories from ERs"(tho obviously about medics) or something like that.

I'd go with the ER tech job.

My question is: does anyone know anything about being a set medic (movie sets)? I've heard it pays well but I don't know anything else about it.

Chances are- and correct me if I am wrong- you are a fairly recently certified provider, with not a lot of clinical experience under your belt? That, and being a BLS provider will certainly be strikes against you in getting such a position. The reason I say this is one of my colleagues that I know through a professional organization runs a company that specializes in "special events" including sporting events, festivals, concerts and movie shoots. From what he told me is that he for the most part will not consider anyone with less than 5 years experience and several professional references. In the rare event he does hire a BLS provider, they effectively have to a spotless record and come exceptionally highly recommended. The main reason for this is to seperate out the chaff and weed out those who are simply trying to get to meet celebrities.

That and you simply are not going to see hardly anything beyond exceedingly minor trauma and other such complaints. Go with an ED tech or ambulance crew position instead.