MRI technologist certification good for "clinical experience" and academic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeepFriedWater

Eh
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound probably odd, but my UG grades are a bit below average (3.3/3.4) and I will be taking my MCAT this year. I have volunteer experience for several years at a women and children's charity, although it's not really clinical.

I am not an RN, nor am I a CNA, nor am I anything that could possibly pass for hospital material, except maybe janitor, transporter, or receptionist.

I have been fighting tooth and nail just to shadow, and have only had one experience. (This, after going office to office of private practices. I've gotten everything from a scoff, to glares, to a flat out "you should become a scribe".)

Would it benefit me in terms of clinical experience to obtain a certification (after graduation from a short program(A.A.S. in most circumstances, certs in others) for MRI tech, surgical assist, sonographer, etc?

I realize that this will be doing a complete 180 for me in terms of job area and demonstrate my interest in medicine.

I'd appreciate any constructive criticism and advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any interest in those fields? What would you say if someone asked you in an interview why you chose that particular certification?

You don't need another career to demonstrate your interest in medicine. Do something you love that will tell a compelling story. Sure, you need something that will demonstrate that you have some perspective on what you're getting into, but as you seem to have already made the choice to go into medicine, what is driving that decision now?

You'll have much more luck getting shadowing experience somewhere more academic. Getting a certification after you take your MCAT just seems like you're doing it to get into medical school - which I guess it is, based on your post.