mRNA reading...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sps27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which statement regarding protein synthesis is false?

A. tRNA molecules shuttle amino acids that are incorporated into the protein.
B. tRNA molecules have the amino acid bound to the 3' end of the molecule.
C. The process does not require energy.
D. Ribosomal RNA is needed for proper binding of the mRNA message.
E. The message is read from the 5' end to the 3' end.

So I missed this Kaplan discreet. I thought that there were 2 false answers. I know for sure that the process requires energy and I also thought that mRNA is read in 3' to 5' direction (one codon at a time) and proteins are synthesized in 5' to 3' direction. Researching a bit on the Internet I found that the mRNA codon is read in the 5' to 3' direction. And since Proteins are also synthesized in the 5' to 3' direction, so is it true that basically both the reading of the mRNA codon and synthesizing of proteins take place in 5' to 3' direction ?

Members don't see this ad.

You have unnecessarily confused yourself. You said yourself that you know that "the process requires energy." Therefore, the correct answer choice, which is the FALSE answer choice, is C.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Yes you are correct. I got confused unnecessarily by the 5' to 3' issue. I thought that mRNA is read in 3' to 5' and that was my mistake.....