MS PGY1 Residency Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Currently a 3rd year and looking into residency and was interested in the MS programs. Hopefully someone here is in one and if so, was wondering if you could tell me your thoughts on it as well as what you plan to do long term with it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

not sure if i know what youre talking about...

residencies that include a MS are usually 2 year residencies... is that what your talking about?!

Sorry, yes, I meant the 2 yr program. I just wanted an overall opinion on MS residency programs, what it entails and such and what you or anyone plan to do with it. I guess a better question would be, what are some possible options with a MS degree, other than hospital admin. thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that depends - at least in part - on what masters degree you get... MPH, MSCR, etc.

I think that depends - at least in part - on what masters degree you get... MPH, MSCR, etc.

Aren't the majority of the 2 year combined MS/residency programs focused on hospital administration? I have only found 2 programs that aren't (UT and UK).

from what i know, those MS programs pretty much for dop jobs and jobs at pharm school as clinical coordinator and stuff

i have 2 friends who done it, and both now work for pharm schools

PharmEm, what are YOU looking to get out of the program? When you ask things like "what are some possible options with a MS degree, other than hospital admin," it makes me wonder if a hospital administration residency is what you really want or if you're not so keen on the administrative side of things. For example, and I think p-rog was getting at this... the University of Texas offers a 2-year psych residency with accompanying MS degree. My thought is that you could potentially do something very different with that background than with the traditional 2-year administration residency.

I would assess your interests and long-term goals a little more. You don't have to have it all figured out... I used to tell interviewers that I knew what I wanted one and three years out, but I never had a 10-year plan in mind. In fact, I still don't. Anyway, if you are still considering the MS track when you're applying for residencies, make sure you ask each program what their residents have gone on to do. If those things are in line with your interests, maybe the fit will be a good one. (You should actually be asking that question at every program to which you apply.)

This question is probably going to come off wrong, but are you interested in the combined MS/residency programs because you want to do something different than your peers and/or add letters to your title? As someone who is finally getting around to getting an MS degree after 2 years of residency, I'm happy I waited. I initially thought I wanted an MPH just because I knew other people who had them who were doing what I thought I wanted to do... but I waited it out and found a program that offers classes that excite me and a future that is in line with my goals.

Sometimes you just need to explore your options and ask questions like "What else can I do with [fill in the blank]? Is [fill in the blank] really what I want to do, or am I trying to make it fit?" The reason I bring this up - and I admit that I may be totally off base in your case, PharmEm - is that when I was interviewing for PGY-2 residencies, I interviewed for geriatrics spots and others, including psych, internal medicine and palliative care. The way I found out that geri was my best fit was because in interviews with other specialty programs I found myself asking them things like "So how much Alzheimer's do you see? Will I rotate through a geriatric medicine service? Do you do hospice in nursing homes or just on oncology wards?" It's amazing what you learn about yourself in situations like that.

This post was much longer than I wanted it to be, and I hope I didn't offend you by posing tough questions. I've just been in the position before where I know what I want but am reluctant to admit it... Maybe you're ahead of the game and I'm way off base, but either way hopefully you realize I'm trying to be constructive and not critical.

To elaborate on the two programs I found that aren't focused on adminstrative/DOP type careers....

The Univ. of Texas program actually offers the combined MS degree in pharmacotherapy (really translational research though) with the 2 year resdiency in several areas. After completion of the program you are eligble to take the exam for BCPS certification in other areas than just pysch... geriatrics, ID, oncology, pharmacoeconomics, and primary care all appear to be options from the website (http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/divisions/pharmaco/postdoc/ma_synopsis.html ). My guess is that you have to decide very early in the program what area you plan on specializing in so that it all works out.

The program at the Univ. of Kentucky is much more vague and I think that may be due to the fact that it's very new?? IT does sound very similar to the UT program w/ an MS degree either in Pharmacoecon and outcomes policy (POP) or Clinical and translational Sciences (CTS- research basically) along w/ a PGY-1/PGY-2 in an area of clinical interest.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's other programs out there but that's all I've found.