MS4 Applying to Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fuzzybear22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been reading neurology threads for several months now. I am an MS4 at a US allopathic school interested in Neurology and very excited about the application process. Yay, one step closer to being a neurologist!

I wanted to know what are some good categorical programs in the Midwest and South that I might be competitive for. I have done a neurology sub-I at my institution, no red flags, plenty of volunteering experiences, and a letter from our chairman. I decided not to do an away rotation, but I'll be doing some research in November, giving more to talk about during interviews. Last but not least, my step one is very low, 215, but I'll have taken Step CK/CS by September. I plan on applying widely and nothing too prestigious. I appreciate any suggestions on what programs would take an applicant like myself.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on choosing a great specialty. A dignified and civilized specialty. A specialty where we still know next to nothing about the end organ of our supposed expertise.

A 215 is not great, but certainly no dealbreaker. Also, not doing an away rotation doesn't mean that much as long as you aren't gunning for a very specific program. The Sub-I and a neuro chair letter will cover your bases pretty well, particularly if your program has some clout. Some research would go a long way to getting people past the step 1 score, as would an improvement on your step 2 CK. There are plenty of good programs in the midwest and south, and plenty of OK ones as well. You would need to be more specific about what kind of training environment and what kind of ambient environment you're looking for to narrow things down more than that. To say nothing about what you want to actually do when you grow up.

Although I plan on doing a fellowship, I don't know what kind just yet. I likely see myself as a general neurologist, but I don't know yet which fellowships would lend themselves for that. I assume EMG would be good. I dont see myself as a researcher in academic medicine. So with that in mind, i want strong clinical experience, but still manage to have time outside of residency. Finally, I will be couples matching with my husband, who is planning on doing IM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are those realistic with a 215?

Are those realistic with a 215?
Probably not. Although I am realistic and plan on applying widely, I will throw in a few reaches. If I don't get an interview that's fine. But I'm willing to spend the extra money to give it a shot. So instead of asking, why dont you tell me what is realistic with a 215?

Some other midwest categorical programs...Henry Ford, UH/Case, Cincinnati, UPMC
These are the ones that I can think of right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Some other midwest categorical programs...Henry Ford, UH/Case, Cincinnati, UPMC
These are the ones that I can think of right now.
Hello All,

I've been reading neurology threads for several months now. I am an MS4 at a US allopathic school interested in Neurology and very excited about the application process. Yay, one step closer to being a neurologist!

I wanted to know what are some good categorical programs in the Midwest and South that I might be competitive for. I have done a neurology sub-I at my institution, no red flags, plenty of volunteering experiences, and a letter from our chairman. I decided not to do an away rotation, but I'll be doing some research in November, giving more to talk about during interviews. Last but not least, my step one is very low, 215, but I'll have taken Step CK/CS by September. I plan on applying widely and nothing too prestigious. I appreciate any suggestions on what programs would take an applicant like myself.

Thanks.

I'm also in a similar position to you, and I have been told that we will be competitive applicants to average programs, but probably not to the top/best programs. That's okay with me.

I would love to know where you will end up applying, and what programs are average type programs on the east coast?

Also, can someone explain how we apply to the programs that don’t offer an automatic prelim spot? For the ones that do, we are on the right track in terms of years, but the ones that don’t we have to apply separately, but then do they hold the pgy2 spot for you for the FOLLOWING year?

Thanks!

Check out Ohio State. I just graduated from their residency program and felt like I received a great training. I am thinking of going back there as an attending once done with fellowship. You'd be competitive there.

Check out Ohio State. I just graduated from their residency program and felt like I received a great training. I am thinking of going back there as an attending once done with fellowship. You'd be competitive there.
OSU was definitely a consideration! I appreciate your feedback because it lets me know I'm competitive and I'll get great training. I'm very excited to apply.

I'm also in a similar position to you, and I have been told that we will be competitive applicants to average programs, but probably not to the top/best programs. That's okay with me.

I would love to know where you will end up applying, and what programs are average type programs on the east coast?

Also, can someone explain how we apply to the programs that don’t offer an automatic prelim spot? For the ones that do, we are on the right track in terms of years, but the ones that don’t we have to apply separately, but then do they hold the pgy2 spot for you for the FOLLOWING year?

Thanks!
I'm applying exclusively in the Midwest and South, in general I think most of the really competitive programs are on the east and west coasts. So it makes sense not to waste my money.

I assume you are referring to categorical vs. advanced programs. There are a lot of categorical programs which means you will submit one match list for neurology. The program gives you a PGY-1 spot. While the advanced programs vary some in that they may make you interview separately with neurology department and internal medicine (i think) sometimes in the same day. Some advanced programs guarantee a PGY-1 spot, but you still have to apply for that spot. This will result in two rank lists. If you search programs on ERAS you will see what I mean.

Does this help?

Fuzzy, you think of UT Southwestern? I do not know if 215 will be good there but Dallas is good city as far as midwest/south goes. I do not know much about program but might be worth checking out.

Fuzzy, you think of UT Southwestern? I do not know if 215 will be good there but Dallas is good city as far as midwest/south goes. I do not know much about program but might be worth checking out.
Umm, I don't know if a 215 is good enough. That's why I posted on here to get other opinions. I have heard great things about the program and so I will apply and see what happens.

Plus, you are not defined solely by your step one score especially in a field like neurology. Do not get down about one aspect, I am sure you gotta a lot of stuff going for you. Also, are you gonna try to get Step 2 score in before applying?

Plus, you are not defined solely by your step one score especially in a field like neurology. Do not get down about one aspect, I am sure you gotta a lot of stuff going for you. Also, are you gonna try to get Step 2 score in before applying?

Thank you. That is encouraging. Yes, I have step 2 CK scheduled for the end of August. I have some research, but no publications. Unfortunately most of the stuff I'm working like a case report won't until much later, but I figure I can always talk about it during interviews.

I think a good thing going for you is that you have an open mind and you are applying in mid west and south which have some strong programs, but the most competitive ones are principally on the east and west coast.

I do wish there was more discussion on this forum, like some of the other forums, about what scores get people where but it seems like neurology is smaller field and while scores important to some degree they do not define you as much as some of the other fields.

You would think with the application process impending that this place would be happening, but it is kind of quiet here. No one applying to neurology this year ;P?

I think there will be more activity once interview season starts. They usually have an "impressions" thread going every season.

You'll probably get a decent amount of interviews. 215 isn't great but it's not horrible. You're a US allopathic grad so that'll open doors for you likely.

I can't help much with the OP re: places to apply in midwest/south, but I can comment on this score thing. Everyone gets really hell-bent on scores, especially in other specialties. I got a 219 on step 1 and a 230 on step 2. I had a bit of research but nothing published in the neuro field. No prior degree. I had a lot of extracurriculars and volunteer experience that probably made my app really unique. I had really strong letters (almost always brought up on interview trail). I applied exclusively to the east coast. I applied to a bunch top tiers but only got a small handful, which was fine because I wasn't interested in research-heavy residency training as I'm looking for a clinical career. I got plenty of interviews at mid-to-upper tier places. I matched at my #1. I'm not saying this to say i'm special or something. I think this is pretty much the norm honestly.

From talking with my own institution's PD and alot of staff and some others (and from my own personal experience) I gathered that neurology step scores are just about opening the door (the exception being the top 20 programs). Its a screening process for most. Itll get them to check out your app and then find other reasons in your app for giving you an interview. From there, the interview is mostly about making sure you're a normal person that others will want to be around for more time over 3-4 years than you are with your spouse and someone who will work hard and well in a group setting.

Long story short, apply broadly. Don't let tiers deter you. Don't be surprised when they don't invite you. Don't be surprised when they do. The miracle formula every program uses is different and we will never know what any program is looking for on a given year, month, day, minute. It really doesn't cost that much to apply to alot.

Best of luck! You've chosen the best field out there!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello All,

Thanks.

Hey there! I've been a long time browser of the SDN, but haven't really gotten into it. I saw your post and it seems like you and I are in such a similar position, I felt compelled to reply. I'm also an MS4 US allopathic student interested in neuro. I also scored a 215 on step 1, but improved on step 2. I'd like to be east coast, southeast, midwest region. I am in the same boat as you are in, so I don't have any advice at the moment, but I think we (and those like us) should keep each other posted on good advice we come across!

To those in a position to give advice, I have the following questions:
1. What are the "upper but not top tier" programs in the eastcoast/southeast/midwest region?
2. What are the "middle tier" programs in the eastcoast/southeast/midwest region?
3. How many programs would you recommend applying to?

Last edited: