MS4 elective at JHS/Cook County- any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice? Or past experiences?

Just in the process of organising a 4-week anesthesiology elective at John H Stroger/Cook County. Will probably follow it up with another 4-week elective in the Trauma Unit there as well.

Members don't see this ad.

What month is your rotation? Are you a foreign grad or US grad? Why 8 weeks? - what would you like to know? I'm very familiar with the program.

I'm a fourth year undergraduate medical student from Australia- my medical degree is a total of 5 years (thus I'll be in final year at the end if this year).

I was planning on spending 8 weeks in December/January on electives. I have already been reserved a spot in December for 4 weeks with anesthesiology. I was planning on spending the following 4 weeks on the Trauma unit (this is where my main interest lies).

Since the maximum time able to be spend on the Trauma elective is 6 weeks, I thought there might be more benefit in doing 4wks anesthesiology and 4wks trauma rather than just 6 weeks trauma.

Although here is Australia we tend to do a few general years after graduating, am very much interested in working in one of the critical care/retrieval specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a fourth year undergraduate medical student from Australia- my medical degree is a total of 5 years (thus I'll be in final year at the end if this year).

I was planning on spending 8 weeks in December/January on electives. I have already been reserved a spot in December for 4 weeks with anesthesiology. I was planning on spending the following 4 weeks on the Trauma unit (this is where my main interest lies).

Since the maximum time able to be spend on the Trauma elective is 6 weeks, I thought there might be more benefit in doing 4wks anesthesiology and 4wks trauma rather than just 6 weeks trauma.

Although here is Australia we tend to do a few general years after graduating, am very much interested in working in one of the critical care/retrieval specialties.

Trauma here will be crazy. I did trauma surgery this past winter and I didn't sleep much, it was nearly 14 hour days of non stop work. Anesthesiology is probably 6-6, you'll be here in the winter, so you won't be crowded out by the local kids auditioning for anesthesia residencies. You can learn a lot from the attendings, Ned Nasr is the PD i believe, great guy. Carlo Franco is another attending, he is an amazing teacher as well. It's very self driven, the more you show initiative to your resident, the more they'll let you do - Great place to learn.

good luck.

Thanks for that.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with how university holidays work in the US- will there be other medical students at the hospital during December/january?

I suppose the other question i have is whether you think 4wks anesthesiology and 4wks trauma would be a better learning experience than just 6wks trauma for someone considering working in the critical care field?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with how university holidays work in the US- will there be other medical students at the hospital during December/january?

I suppose the other question i have is whether you think 4wks anesthesiology and 4wks trauma would be a better learning experience than just 6wks trauma for someone considering working in the critical care field?

Thanks again.

yes , there will likely be some medical students rotating at cook county in december/january, but you'll probably only see/interact with those on your rotation. there should definitely be some kids on anesthesia, not sure about trauma. The audition rotation season for residency apps ends around November, so it probably won't be as crowded either. If you're interested in critical care, you can learn a pretty decent amount of stuff on the anesthesia rotation; there is a decent critical care component at cook anesthesia..I think 6 weeks of trauma would be overkill anyways. stick with 4/4, you won't get as bored.

good luck.

Any recommendations/suggestions on how to purchase malpractice insurance for the 8-weeks while I'm on elective in the US?

Unfortunately just discovered that my own university won't cover me since it is an optional elective that I am doing during my holidays. Shattered.

hey, sean and karizma,

can you please help me out in finding an accomodation near cook county?, i am scheduled for truma at cook county in June.

hi there. i have been accepted for a peds cardio elective at cooks? how is the experience ? Also how much does it help in applying for residency? I am a final year med student
Need info on cooks county

hi there. i have been accepted for a peds cardio elective at cooks? how is the experience ? Also how much does it help in applying for residency? I am a final year med student

IMGs incoming

Last edited:

Hey even i have been accepted for elective at cook county.
its adolescent med for feb 2013
and ped infectious disease for march 2013

i want to know about the program , hospital, housing in the vicinity and experience at cook county..

How good is a peds elective at Cooks County? And is the elective there an official one?

yes even I would like to learn more . Any idea if this elective is as good as the other big name universities?

Any information/experience on cooks county?:)

Why is cooks county not good for electives? have u had any experience there or know smone who does?

Hey even i have been accepted for elective at cook county.
its adolescent med for feb 2013
and ped infectious disease for march 2013

i want to know about the program , hospital, housing in the vicinity and experience at cook county..
Hey, I too have been accepted at cook county for march 2013 for trauma elective. I had a friend of mine who did trauma rotation there and he said it was a great learning experience (he did 14 hr shifts sometimes!) though the vicinity wasnt safe after 5pm in the evening as people went trigger happy in the night. =)
I am worried about housing as well being a girl. I am looking for a room partner but as yet no luck!
Anyway if anyone has anything i can help with, do ask. =)

What are the benefits of doing electives for international students? I have a buddy who wants to come over to the states and practice as a physician. He scored a 277 on step 1(extremely bright kid). Would electives in surgery help him attain a residency spot?

Can someone please move this yo the general residency issues forum? This no longer has anything to do with anesthesia.