MS4 low STEPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agolden1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for about 2 years now and had a question about some upcoming decision making. I'm a fourth year American allopathic student with a family member with a chronic pain condition who has observed a variety of pain medicine doctors, seen some of the positives and negatives of the field, and have considered pursuing training in this field. As I've read this forum, I've seen people discussing the increase in competitiveness of pain in terms of Steps, research, and ITEs. So far, I've taken Step 1 (214) and Step 2 (229) and average to below average grades across all shelf exams. Judging from this trend, I can only assume I won't suddenly get into anesthesia/PMR residency and suddenly start hitting 99% on all ITEs. However, my strength is that I do have > 10 mid author laboratory neuroscience publications, and 8 or so neuroscience posters, and an interest in pursuing additional research.

While I know no one has a crystal ball to predict the future, I'm trying to decide whether I should even keep this field on my radar, or just eliminate it and look elsewhere based on scoring issues. I should mention I have no qualms about going through a non-agcme fellowship if necessary which may open up some additional options. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

you'll do great. you are in charge of your own destiny, and what you do going forward from here will mean much more than what has already transpired.

You'll do well, just first worry about getting into a field that you think you will like that can lead to pain. Just make sure you'll like the residency because if you don't like pain, you'll have your residency to fall back on.

On a different note, two of my friends went into anesthesia because they thought they liked chronic pain, and they ended up hating chronic pain and realized what they liked was regional anesthesia and acute pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
i probably do not understand your question but - i think you are wondering if you can get into a PMR or anesthesia residency? there are good ones and not so good ones, and the not so good ones are much easier to get into. same with pain fellowships. how you do in non academic practice has far more to do with your personality, charisma, work ethic than anything else.

Thank your for your responses. I will definitely continue to pursue this interest and see what happens.

i probably do not understand your question but - i think you are wondering if you can get into a PMR or anesthesia residency? there are good ones and not so good ones, and the not so good ones are much easier to get into. same with pain fellowships. how you do in non academic practice has far more to do with your personality, charisma, work ethic than anything else.

I was referring to being able to apply for pain fellowship. It seems like getting into anesthesia/PM&R isn't terribly challenging (although I know some of this is based on program quality), but several folks on here have postulated that Steps >235 and extremely high ITEs in residency are required for the fellowship. I didn't know if most places would just ignore my application given the low steps, but the feedback here seems to be to go for it and do what I can...

your work as a resident and your letters of recommendations from your residency will be much more important than your Steps.

focus on ACGME fellowships, as there has always been a trend towards "board certification" with almost every specialty.

above all, go into a residency that you can foresee yourself doing and are interested in, even if pain doesnt work out (ie neurology).

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah you can't predict anything now. I performed about the same as you in med school and then killed my PMR in service exams and boards....like literally killed them ;) hehe... anyway, none of that really mattered. In the end I believe it all came down to who I knew and who they knew that got me in

Reactions: 1 users