SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads) Hi all! I am currently holding acceptances to a few MSTPs and am waitlisted with MD acceptances to my two top choice MSTPs. Under normal circumstances I'd take one of the MSTP acceptances and run with it. But a few things are giving me pause, and I wondered how heavily you might weight these things in making a similar decision. None of these factors alone would sway me away from an MSTP, but together they are strongly influencing my gut feeling. First, I value my family quite a bit. I dont mind living apart from my family, but I would like to be there for the bigger gatherings and major milestones (Thanksgiving dinner, siblings graduations, etc). My closest MSTP acceptance is >3h plane flight away. This alone would not stop me from attending a distant program; my top two choices are both within driving distance. Second, I was single when I first applied, but am now in a relationship with someone who will be attending my top choice school in the fall, MD only (where I am waitlisted MSTP). I like this person very much and we share similar values. I would not ask him to attend an institution that was not his top choice and nor would he ask that of me. Third, I graduated college with no debt and spent some time working and saving money; I also have familial support. I would be able to attend and pay for medical school with reasonable personal sacrifices and some debt (similar to any other applicant). I like the MSTPs to which I am admitted and will attend one unless there is a good chance of getting into my top choice MSTP. Given that, should I consider taking the MD admission to my top or second choice and try to apply to the MSTP internally? I am committed to entering research as a career. Both programs accept internal MSTP applicants; one (my second choice) encourages waitlisted MSTP students to matriculate and apply internally. My top choice accepted two internal applicants this year; also, they keep a short waitlist and my position on the waitlist is reasonably favorable (has been admitted last year and the year before) but nothing is certain of course. All the programs are comparable in terms of research in my field. I am not sure of what I would do if I were rejected from an internal application to the MSTP. Id probably spend an extra year on research during medical school and try to pursue research with the MD only, although this is not the best alternative. If I had been rejected outright, I would not consider applying internally. I have been productive in the past year and we are currently submitting two or three papers (all second authors, though). Would you take the chance on applying internally to the MSTP? What does it take to be competitive for internal application and would I be competitive? Thanks!