Muhlenberg College

Hollybear

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been looking at schools and am trying to get some insight. The plan, as of now, is to attend medical school in the future. One of the schools that I have been looking at is Muhlenberg College, as people say that its premed program is strong. However, the average gpa/sat for attending students is quite low, which concern me. How good are the academics/opportunities at Muhlenberg compared to other more competitive schools like Emory, Williams, URochester, etc. Also, if anyone has any info on the Muhlenberg/BUSM program, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Where you go matters so much less than what you do. You want a school with a dedicated pre-med advisor, with active science research and with opportunities to volunteer in and outside healthcare nearby. You also want a school where you can stand out. C’s at Harvard won’t get you as far as A’s at a no name state school. Colleges invest in convincing you their name somehow matters: for the most part it doesn’t. Go where you’ll be happy. If you like this school, just make sure you’ll have advising and research opportunities and don’t worry about the rest. Med schools aren’t looking at whether you went to Muhlenberg vs Emory, and if they are, I’d go to Emory...

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I've been looking at schools and am trying to get some insight. The plan, as of now, is to attend medical school in the future. One of the schools that I have been looking at is Muhlenberg College, as people say that its premed program is strong. However, the average gpa/sat for attending students is quite low, which concern me. How good are the academics/opportunities at Muhlenberg compared to other more competitive schools like Emory, Williams, URochester, etc. Also, if anyone has any info on the Muhlenberg/BUSM program, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

The average cost per student at Muhlenberg after aid exceeds $31,000 per year. Nobody outside the northeast has even heard of Muhlenberg. No med school admissions office outside the northeast has heard of Muhlenberg. Go to a cheap state school with easy admissions criteria and stomp your competition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduate with as little debt as possible. Go to a state school.

Woah, surprised at these answers. There is such great value in getting an education at a liberal arts college, and I have had multiple friends go to Muhlenberg and love it. I can’t speak to the pre-med program but, as long as you are dedicated to your work and doing what you need to do to get exposure to the medical field, you’ll be fine.

Go to a college where you are a good fit, and go to a college that isn’t insanely expensive. Don’t just go to a state school based on what these people say here. People know Muhlenberg. It’s a college. I met people on the med school interview trail from Muhlenberg. Sure, it’s not HYP or Williams or Emory but ... I wouldn’t discount it by saying that nobody knows it.

Woah, surprised at these answers. There is such great value in getting an education at a liberal arts college, and I have had multiple friends go to Muhlenberg and love it. I can’t speak to the pre-med program but, as long as you are dedicated to your work and doing what you need to do to get exposure to the medical field, you’ll be fine.

Go to a college where you are a good fit, and go to a college that isn’t insanely expensive. Don’t just go to a state school based on what these people say here. People know Muhlenberg. It’s a college. I met people on the med school interview trail from Muhlenberg. Sure, it’s not HYP or Williams or Emory but ... I wouldn’t discount it by saying that nobody knows it.
I have literally never heard of this school...undergrad rarely matters as long as your app is good or your interviewer went there or something. Make it through undergrad first. We had an entire floor of my dorm declare themselves premed and I was the only one left by the end of freshman year

I have literally never heard of this school...undergrad rarely matters as long as your app is good or your interviewer went there or something. Make it through undergrad first. We had an entire floor of my dorm declare themselves premed and I was the only one left by the end of freshman year

It’s in PA. Like an hourish from Philly

It’s in PA. Like an hourish from Philly
Thanks. Goes to show its reach obviously doesn’t make it to the Midwest haha build your app at whatever college is cheapest and you will succeed at

Thanks. Goes to show its reach obviously doesn’t make it to the Midwest haha build your app at whatever college is cheapest and you will succeed at
It isnt cheap lol
I only know because i obviously live near it and i have several high school classmates that went there. But yes, it doesn’t reach far beyond there.

If you're saying you got into Emory and/or Williams, go.