Multiple Attempts Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

battie

U. Illinois
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, shifting around this place, I didn't really find any threads that had the purpose I was going for here.

Decisions are coming out right about now and with the new VMCAS situation, we are just under three months until the 2020 application season starts. For all of us out there who have not made it this time around (or the last time around.... or the time before that....) what are y'all planning to do with this extra year? Are you planning to apply again for 2020? Why? Why not? What else do you want to say?

This time around, I was a second time applicant that never got called off the waitlist the first time around. I applied to five schools on my first shot, but only two this time. I got my rejection for one months ago. I haven't received a rejection of the other yet, but seeing as how all their interview weekends have passed and I wasn't invited, I feel like it is a safe bet to say I will be a third time applicant in May. I was really feeling talking to others who are on that multiple time applicant train, so I thought I would hook up that first train car.

I know I will be retaking physics and possibly taking O-chem II, while working at a doggie boarding place. I'm trying to get some shadowing arranged for the summer with a lab animal vet at a local hospital for a couple hours a week. And I would love to volunteer at our local Children's Hospital. I'm definitely also going to do file reviews, but I am going to schedule those probably next month.

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/second-time-applicants.1110864/#post-16007585
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-many-times-is-too-many.981957/#post-13635841
Here's a couple threads that I think are sort of similar.

But I am in a similar boat to yours. I have been rejected for two years from my IS, am waiting on a letter from Illi but I'm not confident even if I get an acceptance that I'll take it, because of the cost I will be facing.

Right now I am shadowing an equine chriopractor, working two research jobs and doing trail rides at a camp on the weekends. Over the summer I know I'm staying at one job and will hopefully be shadowing a bovine theriogenologist. I am also applying for pre-vet breeding internships for next spring.
Yes I am planning on applying for the 2020 year, though I'm not sure if I'll dual apply for grad school or not. Therio work is my biggest interest, and I'm not a big fan of research.

Hello, friend :)

I'm planning on retaking the GRE (mostly because one of my schools has a two-year expiration on it). I'll also likely retake the orgo sequence (except the lab) at a local CC, or potentially the bio sequence and hope to ace it (I have AP credits for that, so I'm missing what could be two 4.0's to boost my GPA). I don't know if one summer is enough to do both, it all depends on the when/what my CC is offering. Genetics and biochem would need to be done at a 4-year, and I don't really want to throw that money down. I am secure in my vet assistant position, which is full time.

I am 3/3 for interviews this year, and should hear from my two OOS schools by the end of this month (one of them by the end of this week/early next week). I will be SHOCKED if I get into my IS...a little bit of venting here, but let's just say if Michigan wasn't my IS, I wouldn't be applying there. I have been told far too many times that I should just retake any class I don't have a 4.0 in or not bother. I have a 3.6, not a 2.6. I digress...

I might try to find an equine vet to follow around, but that'll be tough with a full time job, a boyfriend who needs/deserves my time, and potentially taking classes. I haven't fully decided on whether or not a 3rd try would be my last. A vet once told me that if I find myself applying three or four times...that it's really not meant to be. I don't totally agree, but at the same time, I can confidently say I am competitive at this point with my experience and grades combined. It's all about whether a school chooses me (average/above average grades with a lot of experience) over a 4.0 student with only 100-200 hours. The latter seems to be the one that is picked. If no school wants me, no school wants me. However, the fact that I interviewed everywhere this year and interviewed no where last year tells me that it's worth at least one more try with improved grades.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/second-time-applicants.1110864/#post-16007585
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-many-times-is-too-many.981957/#post-13635841

But I am in a similar boat to yours. I have been rejected for two years from my IS, am waiting on a letter from Illi but I'm not confident even if I get an acceptance that I'll take it, because of the cost I will be facing.

Right now I am shadowing an equine chriopractor, working two research jobs and doing trail rides at a camp on the weekends. Over the summer I know I'm staying at one job and will hopefully be shadowing a bovine theriogenologist. I am also applying for pre-vet breeding internships for next spring.
Yes I am planning on applying for the 2020 year, though I'm not sure if I'll dual apply for grad school or not. Therio work is my biggest interest, and I'm not a big fan of research.
I am actually terrified that I will get accepted to UI or UF. $45k. OMG.

Purdue is your IS, then? I guess I feel better knowing I'm not the only one whose got an IS that isn't interested. For Michigan, it truly seems like (out of my large group of pre-vet contacts) we all end up being rejected and going OOS. And some of my friends are incredibly competitive. I just don't get it. We're supposed to have better chances, statistically, at our IS schools.

I am actually terrified that I will get accepted to UI or UF. $45k. OMG.

Purdue is your IS, then? I guess I feel better knowing I'm not the only one whose got an IS that isn't interested. For Michigan, it truly seems like (out of my large group of pre-vet contacts) we all end up being rejected and going OOS. And some of my friends are incredibly competitive. I just don't get it. We're supposed to have better chances, statistically, at our IS schools.
I know! And what got me was I interviewed at Purdue last year, and then got rejected. So getting a rejection straight out of the starting gate what awful. And as much as I like UofI, I just know that I will not be able to handle 300k upon graduation, even without the accumulating interest during school. And that's my high estimate, including my undergrad debt.
Next year I'm highly considering applying to Mizzou, because of the ability to get IS tuition after the first year. That's why I applied to Ohio this cycle.

I know! And what got me was I interviewed at Purdue last year, and then got rejected. So getting a rejection straight out of the starting gate what awful. And as much as I like UofI, I just know that I will not be able to handle 300k upon graduation, even without the accumulating interest during school. And that's my high estimate, including my undergrad debt.
Next year I'm highly considering applying to Mizzou, because of the ability to get IS tuition after the first year. That's why I applied to Ohio this cycle.
I think I'll take the acceptance, but only because I am thoroughly convinced that Michigan will never consider me. I'll obviously go to Michigan should I get in. It's just that their admissions adviser has had me walking out in near tears more than once just by telling me that I'm not going to cut it.

I was intending on applying to Ohio, but got turned off by the PPI thing. If I hadn't waiting until July/August to apply again this year, I would have probably gone through with Ohio. I'll probably re-add them this year if I have to, but they recommended repeating courses, too.

I saw those threads, but they overall seemed not really what I was going for with this one. I even remember reading the "Second Time Applicants" when it went up. The "How many times is too many" just seemed to specific to me, honestly. We can obviously move over if we want to. I was going more for us as multiple time applicants to be putting out our own positive advice than asking for it.

Hello, friend :)

I am 3/3 for interviews this year, and should hear from my two OOS schools by the end of this month (one of them by the end of this week/early next week). I will be SHOCKED if I get into my IS...a little bit of venting here, but let's just say if Michigan wasn't my IS, I wouldn't be applying there. I have been told far too many times that I should just retake any class I don't have a 4.0 in or not bother. I have a 3.6, not a 2.6. I digress...

I might try to find an equine vet to follow around, but that'll be tough with a full time job, a boyfriend who needs/deserves my time, and potentially taking classes. I haven't fully decided on whether or not a 3rd try would be my last. A vet once told me that if I find myself applying three or four times...that it's really not meant to be. I don't totally agree, but at the same time, I can confidently say I am competitive at this point with my experience and grades combined. It's all about whether a school chooses me (average/above average grades with a lot of experience) over a 4.0 student with only 100-200 hours. The latter seems to be the one that is picked. If no school wants me, no school wants me. However, the fact that I interviewed everywhere this year and interviewed no where last year tells me that it's worth at least one more try with improved grades.

I feel you. CSU has given me no love whatsoever. Granted, I did tell myself at the beginning of undergrad I would not devote my entire life to the school. The went out the window when I decided to go to a school with 3,000 students, but I wasn't going to let my entire life be ruled by grades. I never pulled any all nighters, I worked so that I could graduate without debt, and I did fun, memory creating things that I would have missed out on otherwise. I know for a fact that taking O-chem I, Physics I, and Physics II was a very poor decision on my part. Should have taken Physics I and II sophomore year with everyone else (and tests worth 30% of the grade instead of 70%) and I should not have taken O-chem I where I attended undergrad. But hindsight is 20/20.

On the note of multiplying multiple times, when I looked up the averages, it takes an average of 3 application cycles to get in. So.... applying 3 times would be considered "normal".

We're supposed to have better chances, statistically, at our IS schools.
Heh. Tell that to UF...it seems to be more common than people think to get a rejection (even right out of the gate) from your IS and have better luck with an OOS.

Heh. Tell that to UF...it seems to be more common than people think to get a rejection (even right out of the gate) from your IS and have better luck with an OOS.
I'm still shocked that both you and @Felixor90 didn't get interviews. And I completely agree. Everyone keeps saying "Relax, if you get an OOS offer, you almost always get your IS, too." Not true. Otherwise, no school would have OOS students.
I saw those threads, but they overall seemed not really what I was going for with this one. I even remember reading the "Second Time Applicants" when it went up. The "How many times is too many" just seemed to specific to me, honestly. We can obviously move over if we want to. I was going more for us as multiple time applicants to be putting out our own positive advice than asking for it.

I feel you. CSU has given me no love whatsoever. Granted, I did tell myself at the beginning of undergrad I would not devote my entire life to the school. The went out the window when I decided to go to a school with 3,000 students, but I wasn't going to let my entire life be ruled by grades. I never pulled any all nighters, I worked so that I could graduate without debt, and I did fun, memory creating things that I would have missed out on otherwise. I know for a fact that taking O-chem I, Physics I, and Physics II was a very poor decision on my part. Should have taken Physics I and II sophomore year with everyone else (and tests worth 30% of the grade instead of 70%) and I should not have taken O-chem I where I attended undergrad. But hindsight is 20/20.

On the note of multiplying multiple times, when I looked up the averages, it takes an average of 3 application cycles to get in. So.... applying 3 times would be considered "normal".
Yeah, 3 times is the average, but it seems hard to believe at this point. It could be because the SDN population is highly skewed towards very qualified/competitive applicants, but most of what you see on here is first time successful applicants. It's usually the multiple-trys that stick around and create a long-term presence.

If it makes you feel any better, I did devote myself to school and work and I'm not getting that IS love either. I rarely went out (mostly because I really have no tolerance for belligerent college kids) and always worked or studied. Still didn't get a 4.0 GPA, but I dedicated myself.

Yeah, 3 times is the average, but it seems hard to believe at this point. It could be because the SDN population is highly skewed towards very qualified/competitive applicants, but most of what you see on here is first time successful applicants. It's usually the multiple-trys that stick around and create a long-term presence.

If it makes you feel any better, I did devote myself to school and work and I'm not getting that IS love either. I rarely went out (mostly because I really have no tolerance for belligerent college kids) and always worked or studied. Still didn't get a 4.0 GPA, but I dedicated myself.

That's how I look at it. With 7,000 people applying every year, give or take, how many people a year post on here? Maybe 100 or so when it is all said and done? 200? That's why I make an effort to not compare my stats to others. I have some pretty unique experiences that huge amount of people won't have and that is basically a lot of applicants out there. The comparisons that matter are the people you are directly competing against at each specific school. I am looking at a bunch of other schools for this application season, so maybe some OOS love will come my way.

It could be because the SDN population is highly skewed towards very qualified/competitive applicants
I think this is a big factor in the number of 1st time accepted applicants you see around here. But there are also a fair number who applied multiple times.

Personally, I know a wonderful vet who applied to Penn 5 times before she got in (she got a PhD in the meantime).

I know right? Out of 6 schools, UF was the only one to not give me an interview and it's my IS. -.-

I applied 4 times total. Though the first time I applied was a bad idea and there was no way I was getting in. Then I only applied to my IS (Penn), but this last time I decided I was going to get accepted somewhere. I applied to 6 school, got interviews at 3, accepted to 2 and declined the 3rd interview offer. So if it's what you really want, don't give up. I made spreadsheets to help me figure out where to apply this round to help chose schools that would most likely offer me a seat, were located somewhere I could live regarding weather, safety and local schools, and had the best OOS tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know right? Out of 6 schools, UF was the only one to not give me an interview and it's my IS. -.-
Yeah, it's just strange to me. If you are good OOS, you should be even better IS. I'm curious to see what they'll tell you if you choose to do a file review

Yeah, 3 times is the average, but it seems hard to believe at this point.

Honestly, I've always heard people repeat that but I've never seen the official statistics to back it up so I've always regarded it with suspicion.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, I've always heard people repeat that but I've never seen the official statistics to back it up so I've always regarded it with suspicion.

I actually saw the information somewhere. I've got a few minutes before class starts, so I will poke around my search history to see where I saw it.

Yeah, it's just strange to me. If you are good OOS, you should be even better IS. I'm curious to see what they'll tell you if you choose to do a file review

If vet school applications were a strict numbers game where all schools evaluate and weight applicants the exact same way then the above statement might be true. Thankfully, that isn't how admissions works. When people say the thing about being competitive IS it is because there are less applicants and thus a better chance at acceptance but that doesn't mean your application is what the school is looking for. That is why people on these forums suggest being smart in where you apply and applying to places where your application is going to be strong. That isn't to say don't apply to your IS, definitely do, but keep in mind that just because it is your IS doesn't mean that you'll fit what they are looking for whereas you might at a different school.

Reactions: 5 users
I am also a second time applicant this year... Last year I got waitlisted at two schools and never got pulled off. This year, I have more experience hours and a better GPA, and got interviews at 4/4 schools that I applied to. So far, I have only heard back from Iowa (waitlisted again, UGH). Unfortunately for me, I don't even have an IS school, nor does my state have a contract with any schools so I am OOS everywhere that I apply. I'm waiting to hear back from my other 3 schools, but I don't think I am a very good at interviews and I am having doubts that I will get accepted. I'm not really sure if I'll apply again this year if I don't get in... I may consider moving to a state that does have a vet school to gain residency and then reapply, but I think I'm going to consider graduate school instead to save myself some money in the long run.

I couldn't find anything about 2014 applicants.

The “Average” Veterinary College Applicant

Ever wonder what the average applicant to vet school is like? AAVMC researchers have constructed a composite of the average applicant offered admission during the 2013 VMCAS cycle.

The average applicant was a 24-year old female from the suburbs who had earned a bachelor’s degree and applied 1.2 times (if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.) She had an average GPA of 3.56 and had GRE scores of 155 (66th percentile), 154 (57th percentile) and 3.9 (54th percentile) on the verbal, quantitative, and analytical tests, respectively.

The average number of veterinary contact hours, which represents volunteer or paid service working in a veterinary medical setting, was 2,462.

Finally, she knew before she was ten years old that she wanted to study veterinary medicine when she grew up.

Bear in mind that these attributes define the average student offered admission, not necessarily all who matriculated.

Reactions: 1 user
If vet school applications were a strict numbers game where all schools evaluate and weight applicants the exact same way then the above statement might be true. Thankfully, that isn't how admissions works. When people say the thing about being competitive IS it is because there are less applicants and thus a better chance at acceptance but that doesn't mean your application is what the school is looking for. That is why people on these forums suggest being smart in where you apply and applying to places where your application is going to be strong. That isn't to say don't apply to your IS, definitely do, but keep in mind that just because it is your IS doesn't mean that you'll fit what they are looking for whereas you might at a different school.
I did say that your chances are statistically higher at your IS...

Edit: Plus, I'm carrying over the sentiment that I've seen on these threads over and over: If you are offered/interviewed OOS, it's almost a given that you get the same IS. Clearly that's not true, but it's being repeated quite a lot.

Last edited:
No, there would still be OOS students because there are still states that don't have an IS vet school or contract seats.
Also there will always be some people who hate their home state/their IS school so much that they'd rather go somewhere else, cost be damned.

Finally, she knew before she was ten years old that she wanted to study veterinary medicine when she grew up.
I'm curious where they got that part, as I don't remember "how long have you wanted to be a vet?" being asked on the VMCAS app... unless there's some sort of survey I'm not aware of sent out to admitted applicants? I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) mention in their PS how long they've wanted to be a vet, but certainly not all. And I can't imagine someone combing through everyone's PS just to come up with that data.

Also there will always be some people who hate their home state/their IS school so much that they'd rather go somewhere else, cost be damned.
Tru dat. I am very glad I didn't go to my IS, and this has been confirmed time and time again. Michigan State agreed that I belonged with them, decided the love was mutual, and gave me IS tuition, even though I am OOS in Michigan. :)

Last edited:

I'm curious where they got that part, as I don't remember "how long have you wanted to be a vet?" being asked on the VMCAS app... unless there's some sort of survey I'm not aware of sent out to admitted applicants? I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) mention in their PS how long they've wanted to be a vet, but certainly not all. And I can't imagine someone combing through everyone's PS just to come up with that data.
I guess you could say I'm one of those who really dislikes their IS. Not because the program is lacking in any way, but because how the admissions office has treated not only me, but some of my closest friends...and the difference in approach they take with other types of students. The school places high value on certain things that in no way indicate a potential great veterinarian, or even someone who can simply handle veterinary school.

Maybe they got that information simply by tallying how many applicants started with the overdone "I've wanted to be a veterinarian since kindergarten" line?

How ironic...I believe you are attending my IS.
Michigan State is not my IS school, just so we're clear that I'm not hating on them. It is a fantabulous school. And I believe you have jinxed yourself by saying you will not get in....by the law of jinxing...you should receive an acceptance soon ;)

Michigan State is not my IS school, just so we're clear that I'm not hating on them. It is a fantabulous school.
Right...you are attending MY IS school that is your OOS. That's what I meant. I find it ironic that you say you dislike your IS and are attending my IS. And I dislike my IS. lol. "Am I coming in clear? Mom, I said, am I coming in clear?" Bonus points to whoever knows that quote without Google's help!

Just curious, what are these "certain things"? MSU accepts people with a wide range of GPA's and experience levels, based on my experience with discussions with classmates. I think your GPA is a solid indicator of your ability to handle the course material/load that vet school throws at you. I agree that GPA has nothing to do with your potential to be a great vet, but schools have to draw the line somewhere. MSU definitely gives those with lower GPA's a chance, and that is why they no longer include cumulative GPA as a decision factor, and why you get SIS points added to your score for life accomplishments, etc.

Right...you are attending MY IS school that is your OOS. That's what I meant. I find it ironic that you say you dislike your IS and are attending my IS. And I dislike my IS. lol. "Am I coming in clear? Mom, I said, am I coming in clear?" Bonus points to whoever knows that quote without Google's help!
Willy Wonka! Gene Wilder of course

Maybe that's because I've actually spent 3 years at your IS ;) Your opinion is based on your interactions with the admissions department...which you will never talk to/interact with again once school starts. Anyways, give MSU a shot if you get accepted. We're not that bad.

Willy Wonka! Gene Wilder of course
Mike Teavee if we wanna be specific here! You win da points.
Just curious, what are these "certain things"? MSU accepts people with a wide range of GPA's and experience levels, based on my experience with discussions with classmates. I think your GPA is a solid indicator of your ability to handle the course material/load that vet school throws at you. I agree that GPA has nothing to do with your potential to be a great vet, but schools have to draw the line somewhere. MSU definitely gives those with lower GPA's a chance, and that is why they no longer include cumulative GPA as a decision factor, and why you get SIS points added to your score for life accomplishments, etc.
[/QUOTE]
I want to make it very clear that I am going to state what I was told by an admissions counselor, and that this is not any word of mouth gossip. I cannot tell you if she was supposed to say what she did, was just having a bad day, or what. But this particular counselor regularly has students changing careers because of her meetings...my friend being one of them. The last meeting I had was with Dr. Baptista, and she had me leaving with hope and a smile.

They did away with the cumulative GPA to allow students who did very poorly early on in undergrad a better chance. Good for some, bad for others. To me, it levels the playing field for students who, for whatever reason, couldn't make the grades early on so that they can compete with those who could. Again, good for some, bad for others.

I'm not talking GPA when I'm saying they place value on things that can't possibly indicate potential success. To tell me that I'd have a better chance with a 3.6 if I grew up in inner Detroit, was a ward of the state, etc. is absolutely absurd to me. And that since I don't have children, working as many hours as I did while not taking classes just isn't impressive, because everyone does it (really? everyone works 7 days a week and volunteers and takes a full load)? From my point of view, I was told that your accomplishments and stats are only as impressive as your background was oppressive. If that makes sense. I don't think a student should be looked at from that point of view, although I'm sure plenty disagree.

By "life accomplishments," do you mean the socioeconomic challenges portion?

Maybe that's because I've actually spent 3 years at your IS ;) Your opinion is based on your interactions with the admissions department...which you will never talk to/interact with again once school starts. Anyways, give MSU a shot if you get accepted. We're not that bad.
Oh, don't get me wrong. As much as I'd love to attend UF for the zoo program, MSU will leave me in less debt...lol.

Wow, jeez, I'm sorry you had that kind of experience. Dr. Baptista is awesome, and I'm glad you had a better experience after talking to her. Would you mind PM'ing the name of the person you talked to?
By life accomplishments, I meant any of the things that show up on the supplemental. I know I got points in a few categories to bring up my less than average SIS.

I did say that your chances are statistically higher at your IS...

Edit: Plus, I'm carrying over the sentiment that I've seen on these threads over and over: If you are offered/interviewed OOS, it's almost a given that you get the same IS. Clearly that's not true, but it's being repeated quite a lot.

I don't know what threads you are reading, but I don't see that sentiment being stated on SDN. I see people saying that statistically there is less competition for IS over OOS but I've never seen anyone tell anyone that because they got an interview OOS that it is a given you will get one IS. Most of the regular posters here know that admissions are crazy and there are no guarantees. None of the regular posters would say what you are claiming so I don't know where you are getting this from.

I know a lot of people that didn't even get interviewed by their IS, but got accepted to several OOS.

Hi guys! I'm a second time applicant, last year I applied to my in state and got rejected. This year I applied to three schools, got interviews at all of them, but declined UofI since I got into MSU, and recently OSU. These results alone were seriously shocking to me, I did follow to the letter exactly what my file review person said, and even then spent my senior year busting butt to achieve a the GPA I needed, then rinse and repeat for this past summer. All of my other stats were pretty normal, I just had a good upwards trend. I really felt so discouraged my first time, like down in the dumps rejected. I don't know, I just want to put a story out there that did alright their second time. I'm not in your shoes so I can't say anything much more on the matter, just that things can happen when you least expect it. And Pinkpuppy I think I know exactly who you are talking about...

Hi guys! I'm a second time applicant, last year I applied to my in state and got rejected. This year I applied to three schools, got interviews at all of them, but declined UofI since I got into MSU, and recently OSU. These results alone were seriously shocking to me, I did follow to the letter exactly what my file review person said, and even then spent my senior year busting butt to achieve a the GPA I needed, then rinse and repeat for this past summer. All of my other stats were pretty normal, I just had a good upwards trend. I really felt so discouraged my first time, like down in the dumps rejected. I don't know, I just want to put a story out there that did alright their second time. I'm not in your shoes so I can't say anything much more on the matter, just that things can happen when you least expect it. And Pinkpuppy I think I know exactly who you are talking about...
Yeah, you probably do. I'm glad/saddened to hear that I'm not the only one she's just downright been crappy towards.

I don't know what threads you are reading, but I don't see that sentiment being stated on SDN. I see people saying that statistically there is less competition for IS over OOS but I've never seen anyone tell anyone that because they got an interview OOS that it is a given you will get one IS. Most of the regular posters here know that admissions are crazy and there are no guarantees. None of the regular posters would say what you are claiming so I don't know where you are getting this from.
Look around a little more. The first one that pops into mind is in the UF thread. Go argue with them over it. They go farther and say that if someone is admitted OOS, they are likely IS admitted too. Nice touch on saying I "claimed" to have read something. Just because you didn't read it...nevermind. No point.

Also, I never said anyone said it was "a given." You omitted a key word from my statement, which makes all the difference.

I know a lot of people that didn't even get interviewed by their IS, but got accepted to several OOS.
Yeah, so its clearly not true, unfortunately. I'm genuinely surprised at some of the snubs this year, though

Look around a little more. The first one that pops into mind is in the UF thread. Go argue with them over it. They go farther and say that if someone is admitted OOS, they are likely IS admitted too. Nice touch on saying I "claimed" to have read something. Just because you didn't read it...nevermind. No point.

Also, I never said anyone said it was "a given." You omitted a key word from my statement, which makes all the difference.

I didn't omit anything. You stated that you are repeating the sentiment that has been stated over and over on these threads. However I've been on these forums for a long time and what you are claiming is simply not true, that sentiment has never been repeated over and over by anyone on SDN that has been around for a while and seen many application cycles. Your post implies that the majority of SDN and that multiple people and threads are posting that if you get an OOS, you will "likely" get an IS, and that simply isn't true. That sentiment is not being repeated over and over again and there aren't a lot of people here stating anything like that as your post implies. I don't need to read around more to know that in the what 5 years I've been posting here that what you are claiming isn't being repetitively posted.

I'm not talking GPA when I'm saying they place value on things that can't possibly indicate potential success. To tell me that I'd have a better chance with a 3.6 if I grew up in inner Detroit, was a ward of the state, etc. is absolutely absurd to me. And that since I don't have children, working as many hours as I did while not taking classes just isn't impressive, because everyone does it (really? everyone works 7 days a week and volunteers and takes a full load)? From my point of view, I was told that your accomplishments and stats are only as impressive as your background was oppressive. If that makes sense. I don't think a student should be looked at from that point of view, although I'm sure plenty disagree.

I mean, I obviously would never go so far as to say "you are only as impressive as your background is oppressive." But I absolutely agree with your school that some weight should be given to socioeconomic background. There is a distinct difference between someone who had parents that assumed from day 1 that their child would achieve highly in school, go to university, etc, and instilled that into their child vs. someone a student who clawed their way out of an impoverished, uneducated background to do the same. I quite honestly don't know how anyone could argue with that.

Reactions: 8 users
I saw that post too but I think she was referring specifically to UF - typically someone who got in OOS there also got into their IS. But I question that statement as well and I'm not sure how someone would even know that info. It would make sense for a school like UGA or NCSU where if you get in OOS your stats are probably super impressive. I've never seen someone say it on a more broad scale though, and it seems more like an assumption that some of us get into our heads (guilty!) than something that has actually been repeated on the forum by people who have some knowledge on the subject.

I mean, I obviously would never go so far as to say "you are only as impressive as your background is oppressive." But I absolutely agree with your school that some weight should be given to socioeconomic background. There is a distinct difference between someone who had parents that assumed from day 1 that their child would achieve highly in school, go to university, etc, and instilled that into their child vs. someone a student who clawed their way out of an impoverished, uneducated background to do the same. I quite honestly don't know how anyone could argue with that.
I think sometimes this kind of thing is looked at the wrong way. It's not so much that the schools are considering a less fortunate background as an indicator of potential success - that wouldn't make any sense. It is more a way of recognizing the difficult circumstances of applicants who haven't been given as many opportunities in life and have still found a way to succeed. Which I honestly think is wonderful, as so much in this process is set up in a way that favors those with economic means especially - here I'm thinking of all of the costs that go into applying alone.

Reactions: 7 users

Ever wonder what the average applicant to vet school is like? AAVMC researchers have constructed a composite of the average applicant offered admission during the 2013 VMCAS cycle.

The average applicant was a 24-year old female from the suburbs who had earned a bachelor’s degree and applied 1.2 times (if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.) She had an average GPA of 3.56 and had GRE scores of 155 (66th percentile), 154 (57th percentile) and 3.9 (54th percentile) on the verbal, quantitative, and analytical tests, respectively.

The average number of veterinary contact hours, which represents volunteer or paid service working in a veterinary medical setting, was 2,462.

Bear in mind that these attributes define the average student offered admission, not necessarily all who matriculated.

Today I learned I am below average and very weird. ;)

Today I learned I am below average and very weird. ;)
I guess I'm about as average as average gets! Though I'd say that I didn't know at 10 that I wanted to be a vet. But yup...besides that, totally average to the T.

That number is even more surprising to me than applying 3 times. The vast, vast majority of people admitted to vet school get in on the first time? Out of approximately 2,900 students, something like 2,850 tried just one time?

That number is even more surprising to me than applying 3 times. The vast, vast majority of people admitted to vet school get in on the first time? Out of approximately 2,900 students, something like 2,850 tried just one time?
Well that figure only includes people who got in. I'm sure some of the 2,900 people who apply do so multiple times but are sadly never successful.

I'm not talking GPA when I'm saying they place value on things that can't possibly indicate potential success. To tell me that I'd have a better chance with a 3.6 if I grew up in inner Detroit, was a ward of the state, etc. is absolutely absurd to me. And that since I don't have children, ...

As someone who has been on their own since 15 years old, and quite literally did have to claw their way out of really difficult circumstances, it's hard for me not to take offense to this. Obviously you have no idea what it is like for someone in those kinds of circumstances. What it's like to not even know if you'll be able to eat, or have somewhere safe to sleep, from one day to the next. Or the violence that you have to deal with on an almost daily basis, and the psychological impact of that. How the constant stress of those kinds of situations makes it difficult just to remember things. Or how there is no one around to tell you how to apply for college, and financial aid, and take SAT's, etc. Or that you have to work almost 20 hours at a minimum wage job just to pay for the SAT and a college application - never mind the cost of tuition and books (which a Pell Grant does not completely cover). That's if you can even get a job.

Or - if you do somehow manage to overcome all of that and get to college - God forbid something happens to you in the middle of the semester, like getting sick or hurt, so you're not able to go to work. Because then, since you're barely scraping by from paycheck to paycheck and there's no one you can fall back on for help, you might get kicked out of your place. You might end up having to drop out of class so you can work extra hours, so you don't end up back on the street. But if you do that, then your financial aid will be withdrawn. You will have to find a way to pay for those classes that you didn't finish out of pocket before you can enroll for the next semester. Classes that cost more than you'll make in the next 3 months, even if you put 100% of your income towards paying for them. (But then, what do you live on). So it could be another year before you can even start back at school... and that's just scratching the surface.

Like I said - you have no idea what it's like. I'm not saying that what you've done isn't difficult, or that you shouldn't be commended for how much you accomplished during your undergrad. But please don't compare yourself to someone who came from much less fortunate circumstances and say that you should be judged by the same criteria, because you don't compare. The ability to overcome so much adversity, and achieve what many people with more advantages couldn't, is most certainly an indicator of potential success. Because it IS success.

Reactions: 18 users
The ability to overcome so much adversity, and achieve what many people with more advantages couldn't, is most certainly an indicator of potential success. Because it IS success.
Nicely said. I completely agree.