Multiple DS Acceptances ~ Is multiple depositing ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOMBound13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Multiple DS Acceptances ~ Is multiple depositing ok?

I only know the rules for medical schools, so wondering for a friend who's applying to dental schools this cycle.

For med schools (MD), an applicant can deposit (usually only $100 is needed) at multiple accepted schools, but must make a final decision in May.....and then the deposits from the declined schools are refunded. In other words, an applicant can hold multiple acceptances, but must decide in May.

How does it work for Dental Schools?

edit:

One reason I'm asking is this: In the med school app world, when you hold multiple acceptances, then in early spring, those med schools are notified by AMCAS and are informed of those other acceptances, which gives them an opportunity to offer merit awards to protect yield.

Does any of this go on in the dental school app world?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dental schools are not particularly keen on giving out scholarships, and when they do it comes with the acceptance offer. The deposits are also a lot higher and they don't see whether you are holding acceptances at multiple schools until April (so they won't try to give you money to lure you into their program). Basically, there is no financial benefit to holding multiple acceptances (kinda like DO schools).

Reactions: 1 user
they only see multiple deposits in april.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For med schools (MD), an applicant can deposit (usually only $100 is needed) at multiple accepted schools, but must make a final decision in May.....and then the deposits from the declined schools are refunded. In other words, an applicant can hold multiple acceptances, but must decide in May.
You get your deposits back from the med schools you eventually turn down??

I think all dental school deposits are non-refundable. Otherwise, seems the system would stay clogged until April with people holding multiple spots because they can't make up their minds and have no financial incentive to do so quickly.

You get your deposits back from the med schools you eventually turn down??

I think all dental school deposits are non-refundable. Otherwise, seems the system would stay clogged until April with people holding multiple spots because they can't make up their minds and have no financial incentive to do so quickly.

Absolutely. I got all my deposits back from the schools I declined in the spring. And MD schools can only ask for $100 deposits.

So, I should infer from your statement that DS schools do not refund deposits after you later decline?

Absolutely. I got all my deposits back from the schools I declined in the spring. And MD schools can only ask for $100 deposits.

So, I should infer from your statement that DS schools do not refund deposits after you later decline?
I'm pretty sure all dental school deposits are non refundable. Many dental school deposits are in the hundreds, sometimes thousands.

What is the point of a refundable deposit?

I'm pretty sure all dental school deposits are non refundable. Many dental school deposits are in the hundreds, sometimes thousands.

What is the point of a refundable deposit?

ha ha! I've wondered that as well! But, that's the way it works in the MD app process.